“Fabulous, romantic weekend away!” 5 of 5 stars

Villagio Inn and Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6481 Washington Street, Yountville, CA 94599   |
Ranked #6 of 6 hotels in Yountville
san francisco
“Fabulous, romantic weekend away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2007

At $250/night (including tax) for a perimeter room, I was a bit concerned after hearing rants on this cite. Don’t be deterred! It was worth it! Gracious welcome (including a peach belini, complementary wine tasting and hors d’ oeuvres), beautifully appointed reception area, impeccably clean grounds. Pool and spa area was well maintained, all the lounging stations well-kempt (no tattered edges) and even cabanas and pool-side service for the summer (we’ll have to return).

Guest room was spacious and exceptionally clean. Oversized bed, soft duvet and plush pillows (not to mention nightly turndown) - definitely a hi-light. Bathroom was large, marble countertops were beautiful and there was a sunken tub which actually enabled me to stretch out and soak. Duraflame log (for romantic fireplace) and complementary Berringer Chard. left a little to be desired, but ya know we’ve paid more at fancy Vegas hotels for SO much less.

Breakfast buffet was comprehensive. Everything you could want and more. All-you-can-drink champagne doesn’t hurt, but even the coffee is rich and delicious. Between this and the afternoon tea/coffee (with generous warm scones, crumpets and quiches) you’re getting a great deal.

Staff was very friendly, even going out-of-their way to rectify a horrid dining experience that we had at Bouchon down the street (not the hotel’s restaurant, but they cared nevertheless).

The only quasi-valid complaint I’ve read here is the traffic noise- but let me tell you, you almost have to strain to here it. I do live in downtown SF, so I might be a little immune, but the windows/rooms are sound-proofed, so you actually hear very little other than a steady stream of what amounts to white-noise. It isn’t as though you’re hearing a freight train crash through at 2 AM. If it bothers you, ask for a room away from the perimeter.

• Liked — Amazing array of services included in room price
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

519 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2007

Having read a number of reviews from trip advisor...some great, but others from people whining...I just needed to say that we had such a wonderful visit there!!! Very nice room (and we like the Ritz and Four Season kind of spot) and perfect location (great restaurants- walking distance)! GREAT champagne breakfast...every gourmet food available!! Great tea in the afternoon....cute bar and wonderful service from all the staff. Noooo highway noise (who would be on that remote highway at night????) So, LOVED it and would return...cute town...cute inn....loved Napa!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Allentown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2006

This was my second stay at the Villagio, both visits were lovely. While the property is building a new spa (current facility is still open) we were not bothered by construction noise even once (Rm 240 was an upper level interior unit). We slept with the deck door open to fall asleep to the sound of the water fountain (not the traffic as some may claim). The property does back up to a highway portion of Route 29 but I only heard the highway once or twice on this stay and not once on my stay last spring.

The beds are by far some of the most comfortable I've ever slept in, including my own. Hotel now stocks Molton Brown toiletries which are a little "manly" in scent for me but my BF loved them. Bathroom has plenty of space for two to spread out and plenty of towels. The two (very large) Turkish cotton robes were nice when cuddled in front of our nightly fire. (For those complaining about not having "real" firewood, Duraflames are much safer and store better than firewood.) Each night we asked for a second log so we could sleep with a fire going all night - really romantic treat. A small fridge is perfect for leftovers and chilling a bottle of wine. Two large bottles of Evian were delivered to our room twice at no charge.

The breakfast is amazing, it impressed me last Spring and it was just as good as I remembered it. It is hearty and filled me up past lunchtime each day. Just the right amount of food to begin the day wine tasting!

The business center is open 24/7 with free computer and Internet access (didn't bring the laptop this time). Any business traveler will appreciate small benefits like free business center access - even if just to briefly check email and print out a boarding pass. Each visit I've had to ship home business materials and the front desk has always been helpful. Last time they took my 12 bottles of wine and contracted through an outside shipping company to send to my home in PA.

I have yet to try the spa portion of this property, the prices are a little high for me. They have a lovely heated pool with poolside cabanas that we meant to try out each evening but never got around to it. One thing I do like about the Villagio that stands out from other properties - you can walk around to lots of cute shops and eateries - from the good mexican place to Bouchon's to the French Laundry. In between the Vintage Inn (sister property) there are also a number of shops.

Only one problem surfaced during this recent stay: since the weather was unseasonably cold, we used our heater. One of the dials was broken and took two conversations with the front desk before maintenance came to repair. They did leave an apology note and indicated that the dial had been fixed - which for the most part it was. It worked fine the next two nights.

Enjoy your stay at the Villagio. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Liked — The beds - they were more comfortable than the Ritz or Four Seasons.
  • Disliked — Switch to the masculine scented Molton Brown products.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't try more than five wineries in one day - your taste buds will thank you!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2006

Having read the reviews on noise, I was sure to pay the extra for an interior courtyard room. I requested a quiet room for our six night stay. We arrived to a warm reception and flowers in the front were just great. Unfortunately, when went to our room, we found it to be the second door in from their new construction site.

No one mentioned this construction project to us at any point, not upon booking, not upon asking for a quiet room, not upon check in -Never!

The only mention of the construction is a poster in the lobby and at the spa with a rendering of the new building and what it would contain. On a visit to another hotel earlier this year, we received a letter and gift certificate towards a future stay in the new section, even though no work took place while we were there. See my review of the Royal Palms in Phoenix.

It was Sunday when we checked in and I thought maybe the construction would not be taking place during our stay, that maybe it was just unsightly. Well, 9am the following morning, I realized I was wrong.

Now the hours of construction were only from 9-4:30, not really bad if you were out all day. But at $359 per night, being unable to take a nap in your guestroom in the afternoon is just plain unreasonable! I did address this with the desk and they told me that we were indeed in an 'interior' room. They adjusted our rate to that of an 'exterior room' but could not move us as they were fully booked.

The inconvenience we experienced for six days was not addressed to my satisfaction. I brought this up to the front desk agent who checked me out, but she was unsympathetic.

The room was bare bones, dishes and glasses were constantly not removed during evening turndown service and I totally agree with the review regarding the duraflame log and the tacky fake artifacts. At about $150 less per night these items would not seem so important, but at $359 for a first floor room, this is not on par with other resorts in the industry.

The spa staff was very friendly and professional, but the layout was substandard: you had to walk past treatment rooms to use the steam or sauna which is distracting while you are in your service.

There was only one shower in the men's and ladies' changing areas with a filmsy shower curtain (not luxurious) and so the lockers (think rollerskate rink, not four diamond resort) would get soaked. There were hairdryers but no brushes. I do hope that they correct these items once the new spa is constructed .

My husband requested a female massage therapist, but when we changed the times of our appointments the request was neglected. He lived, but it is indicative of a larger issue.

The concierge, Mary, was wonderful and she really should be commended for going out of her way for guests. She was the reason that we did not try to change hotels, although we visited another property across the street that was less expensive and considered moving.

The location of the property is wonderful. It is within walking distance to the very best restaurants and galleries in Yountville. We loved Redd and Bistro Jeanty and Mary even got us reservations at The French Laundry.

Overall, if the hotel had not set the bar so high with its room rates, we may not have been so disappointed. I inquired about a comment card upon check out and was told one would be emailed to me. I have not received it, but have already received comment cards from wineries we visited that same day. Disappointing.

Stayed September 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2006

Overpriced would be an understatement. The hotel is located conveniently next to the highway and the constant stream of eighteen-wheelers rattled our headboard. However the traffic may have served to drown out most of the sounds of construction (I believe they are building new spa facilities). Our room was not as described on the hotel website - NO sunken tub and was poorly designed: the makeup mirror hung at 6' would be of no use to most women and the closet was clearly designed by someone who had never hung up clothes (the distance between the rods would not accomodate a shirt or pants much less a dress and the lower rod blocked suitcase access). The fireplace would be charming if you enjoyed the ambiance and chemical smell of the single duraflame log allowed.
The Villagio's breakfast, a bottle of champagne set on a continental breakfast buffet, was not what I expect from a "luxury" hotel.
Villagio's idea of "Tuscany in the Napa Valley" is a few fountains and some rather crass fake ruins and artifacts. It is a hokey rendition worthy of a theme park. Kudos to the website photographer who managed to make some very mediocre amenities look luxurious.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — High price / low quality
  • Tips/Secrets — Unless your a tourist seeking a theme park atmosphere, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2006

What a wonderful hotel. This is the place to stay in Yountville/Napa with charm and luxury near some of the best restaurants in Napa (must try Bouchon!!)
Our room was very clean, on the ground floor near the gym facility and wasn't noisy at all except for when the hot air balloons were being blown up which was fun to watch!
My husband and I enjoyed massages at the spa, free breakfast buffet - delicious, molton brown amenities, beautiful grounds, pool/jacuzzi(open 24 hrs!) and extremely helpful concierge. The only complaint (and this is it) is the uncomfortable robe they give you in the room! I highly recommend booking this place. You will not go wrong!
And don't forget to make a reservation at Frog's Leap for the most fun wine tasting tour in Napa (you even get to shoot a free throw in the barn!).

• Stayed July 2006
Palm Springs, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2006

When I booked our stay back in January, Villagio had nearly all excellent ratings. When my wife checked it two weeks ago, she was so freaked by the recent bad reviews that she asked me to cancel and book somewhere else.
I decided to keep our reservations and am extremely glad I did. In short, Villagio was absolutely superb. And I must admit that curiousity got the best of me and I pushed them in ways I normally don't. I asked to see at least three other rooms before I rested our bags and they happily showed us around. I had the concierge (Mary) book us for last second wine tastings/tours every morning and she was wonderful. I called house cleaning and they were up everytime within minutes. The entire grounds were immaculate. However, I did book an upstairs king, so I had no experience with the complaints from people who've booked a ground floor room.
The Bistro Jeanty across the street was fabulous.
Best Wine Tasting/Tours: Opus One, Mondavi and Darioush. All three were extremely professional to the max.
Avoid: Joseph Phelps. I am a fan of their Insignia line and was stunned to witness the two crude, obnoxious cretins they had at their tasting (if management cares, it was Friday July 7th about Noon). Where did they find these guys? The local pool hall? A woman politely asked if they still gave production tours. One of these jerks replied, "Come with me into the woods, I'll give you a production."
Absolutely disgraceful and I will never touch their wine again.

• Stayed July 2006

Been to Villagio Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!