“Uninspiring Holiday Inn with several flaws - convenient location for a soccer tournament” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Woodland

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 11 hotels in Woodland
California's Wine Coast Country, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Stayed here whilst our son was playing in the State Cup soccer tournament at the Woodland Community Center. Judging from the number of jerseys at breakfast it seems most people in the hotel were doing the same. It is about a 10 minute drive to the Woodland Community Center. (If you are staying on business on weekends in the Fall, you might want to check if there is a tournament going on if you don't want to be overrun by hoards of soccer players).
The hotel decor has newish, run-of-the mill budget hotel decor, nothing out of the ordinary. It gets a low rating for the following:

1. Parking Lot - Not enough parking spaces for the number of rooms - the parking lot is really small, too small, Twice we came back to the hotel and found there were no spaces available, once the clerk just shrugged and told us to go park on the street. Call me crazy but I kind of would like to park in the hotel I'm booked at, especially since the street outside the hotel is kind of isolated and right by the freeway - hello, car thieves! Fortunately, a second desk clerk with a little more sense of customer service offered to move his own car and the hotel shuttle to free up spaces but no idea what happened to the guests who arrived after us.
2. Breakfast - If your idea of a gourmet meal can be found in the dumpster behind McDonalds then you will probably love the hotel breakfast. Milk from the refrigerator was curdled, despite being within the sell-by date, Raisin-Bran was stale, watery orange-juice and some bizarre made-in-a-laboratory egg substitute rubber puck. You will get far, far better in the equivalent level of the Marriott chain.
3. Room Allocation issues - Booked 2 rooms together, but the hotel originally had us on a completely different floor from our children, despite a booking request asking for inter-connecting rooms. At check-in we said this wouldn't work and were immediately given 2 different rooms on the same floor. When we walked over to the rooms we realized that they were on opposite sides of the corridor and down the hallway from each other. Another trip back to reception and we got 2 rooms next to each other but without an interconnecting door. I don't know if they don't have any rooms with interconnecting doors but I am surprised that it took 3 tries to get rooms next to each other when the hotel clearly wasn't full and they had the reservation clearly showing there were children with us.

Also, I am just looking at the professional photo of the indoor pool that is on Trip-advisor - it could use a little clarification. The pool is really quite nice but is very small - it's certainly not for adults swimming laps, great for little kids to splash around in but get any more than about 5 or 6 of them in there and the pool is full

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
RajSangha, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Woodland, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. Your feedback will be taken into consideration in our efforts to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.
Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a candid feedback.
HIE Staff Woodland,CA

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Vancouver Island, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

After a long day of driving we stopped here without a reservation, lucky they had a cancellation. Upon signing up for their rewrads program we were updated to a king room with a sitting area, nice to have the extra room. Room was clean and well maintained. Fresh baked cookies at reception were a nice touch. Front desk clerk was also happy to provide a print out of local restaurants which helped late in the day. Breakfast was the normal, cereal, bagels, yogurt, etc.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Mount Shasta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

The hotel we typically stay at was fully booked, so our family settled for Holiday Inn Express. Well, what a delightful stay we had! The entrance is spacious and clean and the staff kindly greeted us. With an indoor pool, jacuzzi and workout facility - each member was happy. Our room was beautiful, the beds were comfortable and there was great space to spread out. Lastly, the Internet worked seamlessly for our son who telecommutes for school. For the price, comfort and indoor pool, we're making this hotel or first choice in the future!

• Stayed November 2013
Cedar Falls, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We've stayed at this property numerous times, and have left pleased on all occasions. The staff is attentive, the rooms are always clean, the breakfast hot & plentiful, and the shuttle service operates flawlessly. The convenience to the airport is great, and less traffic in Woodland is appreciated. I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a great experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Roseburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

A last minute stop, we choose the Holiday Inn Express in Woodland CA. It was clean, comfortable, and located near the freeway and we couldn't have been happier.

We enjoyed the free wifi, the pool/Jacuzzi, and breakfast. My only complaint was the egg dish in the breakfast. . . when you bit into it, there was a meat like substance that wasn't appealing. Other than that, I enjoyed my coffee and their "world's best cinnamon rolls".

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wheeling, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Nice big rooms that were comfortable and well-decorated. The breakfast area was large and well-laid out- HI express always can be counted on for a good breakfast. Free cookies and tea in the lobby. Free shuttle from the airport was very nice to have!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I picked this location because they have a complimentary shuttle to/from the airport and I was flying in later in the evening. I called about 3 hours prior to my arrival and asked how the shuttle works and they informed me that I needed to call 24 hours in advance. The gal said it's clearly stated on the website. I just checked the main page, and it is there, but with IHG's set up, that is not how I book a room - there is no need to go to the main page when most of the details are in the hotel listings by distance/brands page. After putting me on hold for several minutes, she was able to confirm a shuttle ride for me. I was appreciative.

The room is a typical HIE room, well appointed, not enough electrical outlets, nice bed, nice tv. The bathroom has one of those doors that shut automatically. I really do not like that so I usually prop open the door with a shoe. As I was getting ready this morning, I had the shower running and the fire alarm started going off! I quickly got dressed and just as I was finishing up, a knock on my door. I said I was coming out and the lady on the other side informed me that the alarm was coming from my room. She then asked if my bathroom door was open. She said that the steam from the shower is what caused the alarm to go off.

In all the years I've been traveling, I have never, ever, had this happen. What an absolutely horrible design.

I finally got the alarm to quit shrieking, went about getting ready and went to breakfast. First coffee pot? Empty. Second coffee pot? Empty. I peeked my head in the "kitchen" to see if there was an attendant and she was texting on her phone. I asked her if she could kindly get some more coffee. The egg omelettes were over cooked and dried up. I don't eat any of the simple carb/sugary breakfast foods, so I don't know how those were.

All in all, I will not stay here again. I can't risk my shower scaring the daylights out of the other guests.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Woodland, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Beth K,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I am pleased you liked the location of our hotel. I am very sorry to hear about the troubles you encountered during your stay. Guest comfort and safety are of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a secure environment. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Woodland? Share your experiences!