“Great getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wicky-Up Ranch Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woodlake
Wicky-Up Ranch Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Wicky-Up Ranch Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
22702 Ave. 344, Woodlake, CA 93286   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Woodlake B&B and Inns
Anaheim, California
“Great getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

My Husband and I were recommended the Wicky-up by a close friend but had never been to a B&B and were unsure what to expect. We ended up having a fabulous time. Delicious Breakfasts and attention given to everything. Monica and Jack were very welcoming and friendly. Monica helped us plan our days and gave us all the details we would need to have the kind of day we wanted to going to the Sequoia Park and then Horsebackriding. We enjoy getting to know other people so we enjoyed having Monica there at breakfast as there were no other guests while we were there during the week. We do plan to go back in the future and will for sure recommend it to others looking for a place to getaway.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

My wife and I recently spent 3 nights at Wicky-up for the second time, after having been here 2 years prior. We had loved the house and the personal attention from the hosts, so we decided to go back. We were very glad we chose Wicky-Up as our B&B for this Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park visits.

The hosts are wonderful, but they are also people, and they need to understand what you want out of the experience. If you want privacy, let them know. If you want to be entertained, let them know. If you have an issue with your room, or anything, they're more than happy to accommodate, but if you don't tell them what you need, then you can't expect them to make your stay what you want of it.

The food is excellent, as are their suggestions on where to go, be it for a park visit, or for dinner. Again, let them know what you are looking for. They can suggest a greasy spoon in the mountains to eat with the biker crowd, as well as a French fancy restaurant to go to, but you need to tell them what you are looking for. (I hope I made this clear).

My wife actually remembered some things she had when we were there the first time, and told Monica the first night. She remembered some orange-chocolate chip cookies she loved. Next day, the innkeeper had them baked for her. Same with something else she had the first time. They were very accommodating and attentive to our needs and wants, so our experience was perfect.

If you're looking for a cozy place to spend some time away from home, perhaps to visit the national parks in the area, this bed and breakfast is definitely for you! We would gladly go back a third time.

Room Tip: Talk to the inkeeper about what your expectation and room needs are. They are very helpful in getti...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Paso Robles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I had read all of the fantastic reviews of the Wicky-Up Ranch and was really looking forward to a couple of nights there. What everyone said about the owners being very welcoming and friendly is definitely true. You get the grand tour and a history of the place as soon as you arrive. Monica goes out of her way to provide you with information, tips for places to see and restaurants to visit, and anything you might need. At the same time, I found Monica a bit overbearing. During breakfast and just about any other time my family and I were just "hanging out" at the ranch, it seemed like I never got a moment alone to just sit and chat with my family. Breakfast was always a bit of an awkward affair, with no one wanting to talk freely and Monica desperately trying to keep everyone entertained. I'm not trying to sound mean, but it reminded me a bit of those awkward family visits when everyone sits around trying to be polite, but really just waiting for it to be over. I didn't find the experience very relaxing, because I'm more of a private person and would have preferred to have some time along with my family. Then again, this IS a bed and breakfast, so I suppose that guests shouldn't expect a whole lot of privacy.
The accommodations were average, in my opinion. Part of my family stayed in the "cottage" (aka shed) toward the back of the property. The cottage has a bunk bed with no mattresses. Instead, my parents had to sleep on old rubber foam that definitely had seen better days. My father almost sank to the ground inside the bed. The place is tiny, which is not such a big deal, but be prepared to be very cramped. There is no "maid service" in the cottage. However, Monica did come in and checked up on things, it seemed. For instance, the window-unit air conditioner miraculously kept getting turned back up to 80 degrees. My parents also said that some of their things had been moved. On the positive, there is a cool out-door shower and a nice private patio surrounded by roses and orange trees. That almost made it worth it.
The room my husband and I stayed in inside the house was fine. It did remind me a bit of a museum with all the old furniture, draperies, and pictures (as well as dolls). It seemed clean, so I can't complain. It was very hot in the house, though. Monica said she wouldn't turn the AC down more than to 79 degrees, which I found very uncomfortable. I also lost one of my personal towels I had brought, when whoever cleaned the bathroom decided that it must have been part of the Wicky-Up inventory.
The area is a bit remote, as someone else had mentioned. For places to eat, you can go the Orange Blossom Junction, which was great, or drive to Exeter. There are a few nice restaurants in Exeter, so that was great!
Overall, I was disappointed with my stay. Maybe if I hadn't read the amazing reviews, I would have had lower expectations and been fine, but given the price and the experience I had hoped for, I was definitely not happy.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
MoniWoodlake, Owner at Wicky-Up Ranch Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
This review made us very sad. We take our guests’ comfort very personally.
Apparently I misread the family’s need for more privacy. Possibly this was because the elders were particularly social. I have taken this to heart and try to more correctly read the guests’ need for privacy.
The elders were supposed to be in a different room, not in the tiny cottage. The mattresses in the cottage are high- density foam, not made for larger guests. Apparently they made a room change. The cottage is very small but very darling, in no way resembling a shed. There is no maid service, but occasionally on a very hot day I monitor the room temperature. I forgot to go back and re-adjust the temperature in the late afternoon. Apparently the guests were very heat sensitive.
This is a 110-yr. old home with many high-end antiques and paintings of museum quality. The antique look defines our bed & breakfast. We do not have draperies as was stated. We try to allow more light into the inn.
There was a misunderstanding about the air conditioning. In the summertime we usually keep the temperature much cooler than stated. We also show our guests the thermostat and tell them to feel free to change it. We must have had poor communication with these guests. We regret this and apologize.
Malibu, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

Wicky-up is a great find for anyone who wants to experience a historic home (100 years old) which is beautifully built, immaculately clean, and full of wonderful stories. Jack and Monica are wonderfully warm without being intrusive. I enjoyed the breakfasts which were deliciously fresh - - it was a great time, talking to other guests and hearing stories from Jack and Monica. My son and I felt at home from the minute we arrived.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

What a lovely old home of so many generations in Monica's family. Both Monica and Jack are warm and inviting, and the breakfasts are scrumptious! Everything immaculately decorated and spotlessly clean. It was great to be able to walk into the kitchen, get a cup of coffee, and visit with our hosts about living in this fertile California valley. They make you feel so welcome! Barb and I give Wicky-Up two Thumbs Up!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Monica and Jack are the most wonderful hosts. Every detail is accounted for, from the fresh cookies and flowers, to the evening port and bedside chocolates. They even gave us a card for our anniversary, which we were celebrating during the trip. As stated by every other reviewer, the breakfasts are magnificent! Fresh flowers adorn creative recipes containing local and ranch grown produce... YUM! Jack even surprised us with his house-blend of delicious coffee. After 4 days with Monica and Jack, we felt like we knew them for years. We will definitely visit again, and in the meantime, plan to keep in touch with these wonderful people.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Innkeeper Monica is the fourth generation of her family to inhabit this modernized 100+ year-old home. It is beatiful and chock full of pictures and memorabilia of her very interesting family history. Monica and husband Jack maintain orange groves that were started by her great-great-grandfather. If you wish they will expound upon the intracies of farming and the history of the house and family. The accomodations are very relaxed and comfortable; Monica prepares gourmet breakfasts; and she gladly delivers expert advice about what to see and how to see it in Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Forests as well surrounding towns, restaurants, etc. We spent three nights and thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Wicky-Up Ranch Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!