“Very good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Windsor
California
“Very good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

This Holiday Inn is relatively new and very well maintained. The staff was very polite and helpful with information (including a map) of the region. Very clean. The parking area is more secure than at most locations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HIEinWindsor, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Windsor - Sonoma County, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thanks for the review, I'm glad our hotel met with your expectations and that you were pleased with your lodging choice. We know you have many good options for hotels when staying in Windsor and I am delighted you opted to stay with us here at Holiday Inn Express. Hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Emeryville, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

The entrance and reception area make a good first impression with the fountain in the front. I have stayed in many Holiday Inn Express Hotels throughout the world and this is an above average Holiday Inn Express. There are several restaurants nearby for lunch or dinner. We ate at Johnny Garlic's about 2 blocks away and was well satisfied. The price for the one night stay on a Saturday was way too high so I used points & cash. I am Priority Club Platinum level and emailed, as I usually do any hotel that I book in advance, to give them my preferences of room such as floor, traffic, etc. Many hotels set up the rooms on the morning of check in, but the person checking me in said she decides the room as the guests check in. She had to search and search to find a suitable room and had obviously not read my email. I feel for the person checking in late even though they may have made their reservations months in advance as I had done. Other than the above, I have no complaints with the hotel and had a pleasant stay. I would definitely recommend the hotel if the price is competitive with the other hotels in the region.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the traffic, but you may not get it unless you check in early in the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
I'm so glad you were able to stay with us using your points. I know weekends in Sonoma County during peak season can be challenging on a budget. It's one of the reasons I love our Priority Club Rewards program that rewards loyal guests with stays that are never blacked out. It's a great value and a great system for the discerning traveler like yourself! Thanks for the kind remarks on Trip Advisor, and double thanks for being a Priority Club Platinum member with us!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The hotel is situated close to Alexander Valley and Russian River wine regions and provided a very useful leaflet detailing the locations of various points of interest.
The hotel is well maintained and has a pleasant pool and spa area
Breakfast is in the standard HIE format but the service area was kept stocked up and cooked to a higher standard that the other HIE we visited during our holiday.
The hotel scored points with me in the area of service. The staff really go the extra mile to ensure an enjoyable stay and full recognition is given to Prioirity Club members ( which included a room upgrade in our case).
Well done to the staff and I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HIEinWindsor, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Windsor - Sonoma County, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thanks for the great review! As per our discussion when you checked out I took the liberty of viewing some of your feedback given at other hotels you've stayed at. I'm so glad our staff and property made such a favorable impression on a seasoned traveller like yourself. It's feedback like yours that helps us to really and truly value the contribution each of us brings to the team. So keep on telling people what you think! Communication makes all the difference!
Faringdon, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed for one night during a visit to Napa Valley in June 2012. Perfectly good Holiday Inn Express, better than Average but not sure it merits a Very Good.

Rooms and decor somewhat dark and dated, but clean and in a good location to visit the Napa area. Was very expensive (around $250 for the saturday night we stayed) but used Priority Club points so paid nothing. Not sure I would have been so happy if we had paid the full price. No two Queen rooms were available if you used points, so had 2 King rooms for free instead!!

Big indoor hot tub, and corner plot outdoor pool. Pool was too cold to use, but some children were enjoying it.

Guest laundry came in handy after several days of travelling. Plenty of room at breakfast for the standard Holiday Inn Express breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
HIEinWindsor, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Windsor - Sonoma County, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. It's always nice to read a guests and Priority Club members honest impression of our hotel. Being located in Sonoma County in a premiere world class destination does mean high rates over some weekends in the summer. I'm really glad to hear you were able to enjoy our property using your reward points. I just love the "no black out date" stipulation as savvy brand loyalists can take the sting out of peak season rates with the points they've earned elsewhere. As the manager of our property I often get several requests from guest staying under points to move their reservation to a two queen type room. Most Holiday Inn Express's do allow for this if it's requested. Just a heads up for you or anyone else out there. Priority Club can only book certain room types but the hotels can honor a room change request if availability permits, we certainly do!
Mission, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed at H.I. Windsor - premium club members. Let me say that Franco was the reason we drove up to Windsor from Petaluma when we were phoning around for a place to stay after a long day of traveling. His enthusiasm and believability when announcing that we had reached the best hotel to stay convinced us to push on to Windsor even though we would be going back to Santa Rosa and then eastern Sonoma the next day via the south route. Upon arriving - he was even better in person, finding us a corkscrew and even glass wine glasses so we could unwind from traveling with some great local wine. He has a fantastic attitude. When you experience customer service like we received from Franco you are hard pressed when trying to think of the last time someone in the hotel business made you feel special, welcome, and at home. We also left the paper review slip from the room up at front desk with a review - so we hope you got it!

Rooms were great, too! Clean and comfy - Thank you Windsor holiday Inn!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Franco is definitely the best!

In the interest of honesty I'd say that about all my front desk staff though. We are very blessed to have such a professional service oriented staff. That being said, Franco definitely earns us a lot praise from our guests and is invaluable to the social fabric of our team. He brings huge personality and boundless energy that's nothing short of contagious!

Thank you so much for taking your valuable time to share with us the positive impression he made on you. Another solid nail in his coffin of fate. We'll never be able to let him leave!
san francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

This is a nice place: nice rooms, nice hot breakfast, nice little fitness center, nice staff. It is a little hard to find the first time but after you know where it is, it has a great location.

Room Tip: I was on the 3rd floor and the elevator is slow but not a real problem.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for the positive review. It was nice!
Orangevale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here over Presidents weekend and had a great time. The hotel is in a good location for wine tasting in Sonoma County. The room was smaller then a lot of rooms we've stayed in but it was clean and it had a fridge and microwave which always comes in handy when traveling. We were able to sit in the spa one evening and after a busy day of wine tasting, it felt good to soak in the hot water for awhile. Even though our room faced the freeway, it was very quiet. The only thing that disappointed us was the town of Windsor. It is a very picturesque town but there are not very many restaurants or shops. The retail spaces seem to be filled with professional offices rather than stores. I would recommend the hotel to anyone going to the Sonoma area

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Ahh, you a very generous with your praise. Thank you so much. I am glad you had such a nice time visiting our property. Only trouble is after reading that I'm ready for a vacation!

There are probably only about 6 restaurants on the town green and a couple of coffee shops. (one local, one Starbucks) Powell's sweet shop and several other locally owned shops. It's a balance though. Tourist want to see lots of great places to see and shop and eat while the local community wants other types of business for their day to day commerce to also be located on that cute little green. All in all I think Windsor tries to accommodate both needs as best they can. I will definitely forward your comments to the Chamber of Commerce though. I think it's important to know what what travelers are saying.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Windsor - Sonoma County? Share your experiences!