“Moss Manor” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moss Manor The River House

You added Moss Manor The River House to your Saves list
Moss Manor The River House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1560 Patterson Road, Willow Creek, CA 95573   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Willow Creek B&B and Inns
Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Moss Manor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

excellent stay. Beautiful place along the river, away from the hustle and bustle. The river was an added plus and we spent a fair amount of time in the water. Lynn and Larry were very gracious and we felt very comfortable with them. They were there when needed but not obtrusive in any sense. Would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Lawrence M, Owner at Moss Manor The River House, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Larry & Lynne

Couples
Business
Bakersfield, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My family and my brother-in-law’s family stayed here for 5 nights back in July 2013. When we first arrived the beauty of the landscape and of the house amazed us. We were greeted by the owners, Larry and Lynn, who both seemed welcoming and accommodating. They showed us the house and we began to settle into our rooms.

Once inside of the house it was apparent that Larry had built this house himself. Many of the doors opened to attic space and some of which wouldn’t close completely which would let in HOT air. The bathtub was deep and big but couldn’t be filled due to the lack of adequate hot water and water pressure. Also, there was a giant window that spanned almost the entire bathroom that had an amazing view but no curtain to block it that left you feeling exposed when trying to take a bath or shower. The back deck, which is by far the greatest asset this house has to offer, overlooks the Trinity River. The view was amazing however the deck about 15 feet off of the ground and had some spots where the railing would swing completely open. That was definitely a worry considering both of our families total had 4 kids under the age of 5. When we asked Larry about it he said something along the lines of “Oh, yah I’ve been meaning to fix that.” The kitchen is massive. I mean this sucker is big. There is more than enough counter space for you took or sleep or whatever you would want to do on it. The fridge for guests is adequate and conveniently located.

There were definitely some areas this place was lacking. The breakfast part of the bed and breakfast consisted of bagels, fruit, and some pastries. Now this was my first time staying at a bed and breakfast but definitely imagined some eggs and possibly some bacon. Our towels, as self professed by Lynn, were never washed but only re-dried on the third day we were staying there. They have 4 dogs, one of which is a puppy. Now I know how puppies are but I am on vacation. This dog was CONSTANTLY a bother anytime you were outside and the owners were more that aware of this. Instead of locking the dog up while we were staying there they would just let it run loose. It would always scare our kids. Towards the end up the trip I even went fishing down by the river and the dog followed me. I took my sandals off to wade out into the river a bit and when I came back my pair was down to only one. I had to walk all the way back through stickers and hot sand with one sandal. The owner’s response to this was I’m sorry. Really? That’s it! This dog alone, putting everything else aside, made this vacation feel like more of a stressor than relaxing.

The owners stayed out of sight for the most part the first two days we stayed there. Something changed that third day though. As I had mentioned before, the back deck is the centerpiece of this place. The view is amazing and it is honestly the reason we stayed here in the first place. On the night of the third day, and every night after that, the owners would eat their dinner and drink their multiple bottles of wine on the deck. Now I could understand this if it was a quick bite to eat, but they would stay out there for a solid three hours each night. Even if you went out there too, that wouldn’t leave. Most of those nights Larry would not have his shirt on which is not something I want my wife to have to look at or my young daughters.
On our second day there we told Larry that we would like to stay an additional night because of how much we initially liked the place. However at day 5 of 6 we all began to just be fed up with the lack of respect and courtesy Larry would show. We decided that night we wanted to head home the next day instead of staying an extra night. Larry said he understood and for us not to worry about that extra day and that he wouldn’t charge us for it. That night we were all packing up and began to hear a dog yelping uncontrollably. My brother and sister-in-law were able to see Larry physically abusing that afore mentioned puppy. This lasted for a solid 5 minutes. That night I felt so uncomfortable that I got up more than once to make sure our door was locked. I played in my mind every move I would make if Larry came up to our room and tried to unleash his drunken stupor on my family as well. That night that place just had a presence of, for lack of better words, evil.

We were up early the next day and took off for our 9 hour drive home. Upon getting home we realized Larry charged both of our families an extra $130, presumably for that extra night. Now let me make this clear, he never once asks you to sign anything, doesn’t give you a receipt for your charges, and doesn’t warn you before he charges you. He simply just charges the card you used to make the down payment without your knowing. Now looking back I know I should have asked for some sort of receipt, but at that time you don’t feel as though this person standing right in front of you and giving you his word would be lying to your face. I should have known after that pathetic abuse spectacle on our last night there. Both my brother-in-law and myself tried calling multiple times. When my brother-in-law finally got ahold of Larry he became quickly agitated and began cussing and racially profiling. After that conversation he never would return any of our phone calls.

This place is a beautiful sham ran by a fake old man. Save your time and money and go somewhere else. It is such a shame to see a beautiful piece of property like this go to waste.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lawrence M, Owner at Moss Manor The River House, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Under normal circumstances vicious, fictitious, derogatory comments are not dignified with a response, however, we feel the truth needs to be dignified with a response. As elders who have worked our whole lives to establish something of value for our twilight years but also something of
value for our beautiful, local community, we felt for the young families wanting that nice vacation, we've been there, and so we made every effort to accommodate their needs (discounts, etc.).

We understand that they would have no knowledge or appreciation of architectural designs before their time. We understand that drying their wet towels and washcloths could be misperceived as maid service as opposed to saving solid wood doors and floors where such items were draped and piled. We understand that they may not understand the theme of "casual elegance" and therefore thought it was okay to toss a soiled diaper in a corner of the river view balcony outside their suite.

Thus, like the gourmet restaurant costumers who eat all of their dinner and then refuse to pay their bill and spread fictitious, negative comments about their meal and the restaurant - these young people fell into that category.

Upon returning home the families of Cervantes and Billings probably discovered they had over extended their monetary abilities through purchasing a captained fishing boat for the day, river floats or extra gas for touring the northern communities and areas of interest. Maybe those nice Innkeepers will bail them out like parents who cover the tab of a child who has stolen candy from the neighborhood store.

The truth of their story is in their attached journal comments written the morning they left this
Bed andBreakfast.

We wish these young families well and the best. We observed their Good Books on our kitchen counter and hope they will be Enlightened by the Word and someday practice the Truth.
We will definitely keep them all in our prayers.

Moss Manor The River House Innkeepers,

Larry and Lynne

The following are Journal entries that the Billings and Cervantes Families left in our Journal Book
for Moss Manor The River House Guests

6-17-13

Dear Lynn & Larry,
Thank you so much for opening up your little slice of paradise to us.
This vacation has been more than I ever expected it to be. Thanks for being such selfless hosts!
We look forward to seeing you guys in the future! Take care and keep on keeping on. God bless you guys!
Love,
The Billings Familia

6-17-13

Dear Larry and Lynn,

Thank you for inviting us into your beautiful home, and making us feel like family.
We had a great time! All the tips you two gave were so helpful, whether it was food to eat or places to go. I leave here with such wonderful memories, and stories to tell. Especially, seeing elk for the first time. We pray many blessings over your B&B and your marriage.

Love,

The Cervantes Family
Woodland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We just arrived home from a two night stay at the Manor. Our stay could not have been better. Larry and Lynne are great hosts and made us feel at home. We had full access to the home, and outdoor areas. We were able to cook our dinner in the fabulous kitchen and eat on the deck overlooking the river and mountains. This is the perfect place to rest and relax. We will be coming back with friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Great place to stay - beautiful and large rooms (I have never seen a B&B with rooms this large) and Larry and Lynne are outstanding hosts. I would definitely recommend it and look forward to my next stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Moss Manor The River House? Share your experiences!