“Cozy retreat by the creek” 5 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Willits
GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Rosa, California
“Cozy retreat by the creek”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The beds were so comfortable and clean...I could have slept all day..Great breakfast and
beautiful dining room with view of pool and creek outside. Quiet and clean and I loved the
waffles, my favorite..Fresh homemade..and hot.
The owner Jan was a really great host and told us about fabulous resturants in the area..She's
and her staff were very friendly and helpful...I would stay there again, hopefully in the summer.
Beautiful area and close to the ocean...Glass beach was beautiful...

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side upstairs very quiet. Great heater worked to warm room very quickly and quie...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, An Ascend Collection, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you Marsha for your lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and welcome you back in the summer.

There are so many things to do here - the Skunk Train leaves Willits daily from end of May thru September for its historical trips thru our scenic valley and redwoods, the Mendocino County Museum is located in Willits and is a fascinating piece of the history of this area. We have lovely hiking trails which used to be old logging trails - and because of our centralized location within our County - it is easy to take day trips to the Coast - the giant Redwoods and America's Greenest Wine Region! We love to assist our guests in finding the out of the way spots and are thrilled when they discover the beauty of our county!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Beds so comfortable, I didn't want to get up. Freshly cooked breakfast items, french toast, waffles, egg and potatoes dish, oatmeal. The staff is very helpful and friendly. Rooms very clean and quiet. Great, easy location to find. They go the extra mile to make sure your stay is fun and refreshing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, An Ascend Collection, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We are glad you had a great night's sleep- our Sealy Mattresses have been a favorite of many guests! We are looking forward to seeing you again!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We were driving through and couldn't make it much past Willits, CA and we thought we'd be stuck at a dinky motel but found this beautiful gem that makes you feel safe and secure as well as a little pampered. And it was a great price!

Stayed January 2013
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, An Ascend Collection, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
So glad you disovered our Inn! We appreiate your comments and have shared them with our staff. We hope to see you again!

North Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

comfortable, clean, quiet. good bed and linens.
good location, we were just passing through.
only disappointment was no PBS on their cable system. wanted to watch Downtown Abbey season premiere!
helpful staff about local restaurants.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, An Ascend Collection, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for your review of our Inn. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and took the time to write us a review. We have satellite tv and have just added new receivers to get many more channels - so thank you for that observation!

El Dorado Hills, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I took a nostalgic trip to Willits, the town where my grandparents retired in the early 1960's. We have been there many times, but this was our first time at the upgraded inn. I received excellent, personalized service from the moment of calling in a reservation. Having told the manager we were coming for wine tasting and some good restaurants, I promptly received an email back with a list of the manager's favorite wineries and restaurants. The manager also suggested a wine dinner that was to be held in the Ukiah area. The manager personally made our dinner reservation for us at the new Adam's restaurant in Willits, and we loved the recommended Patrona restaurant in Ukiah. Our room was very nice, the morning breakfast tasty, and when we forgot a bottle in our room, the manager personally mailed it to our home.... Excellent service all around, and contrary to the rating of being the number three play to stay in Willits, I have seen them all and this is the number one place..... Will return next year.....

Room Tip: We had one of the upgraded rooms in the adults only building....
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, An Ascend Collection, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write us such a great review. We are glad we could be part of your nostalgic trip to Willits. One of the truly enjoyable parts of the hotel business is assisting guests in finding all the hidden gems in our area - the boutique wineries and the fascinating museum that is here in Willits and the ranch of the famous racehorse, Seabiscuit are just a few of the treasures. We get enthused listening to guests as they tell us about their experiences and pleasure in the things sites and places we have recommended!

We look forward to welcoming you again!

Monterey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The images of the rooms do not match the rooms. I asked for a pet friendly room, and got a disgusting smelly room--and by smelling, I mean SMELLING OF CIGARETTES not dog! When I complained, instead of moving me to a non smoking room, the manager insisted I was wrong (I wasn't) and lied about this being a smokers room. The customer service sucked, the breakfast was greasy, gross and served on paper plates. The customer service is TERRIBLE. If you are trying to go upscale, you need to properly cater to people with dogs. This is a rat motel with a bow tie. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, An Ascend Collection, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
There are reviews which are constructive and then there are reviews which are just mean and unconstructive.
This guest had a small pet and booked the last of our pet rooms for the night (we have 4 pet friendly rooms.) She called and said the room smelled like smoke and she wanted another room. Not only were we out of pet friendly rooms, but were also out of our traditional rooms as well. We had maintenance go up to the room and she insisted to him that this was a smoking room. We are 100% smoke free - and let her know that it was not a smoking room. Although we personally did not smell smoke ( and we are very sensitive to smoke smell) we offered to bring in our ozone machine which works by electric current if she would be willing to go down to the lobby for 20 minutes. She said no - and asked for a fan, which we brought her.

We also let her know that if she did not want to stay, we understood and would refund her money. She said she wanted to stay. She requested an express checkout and we did that.
The following morning she insisted the room was a smoking room and I personally assured her we were 100% non smoking property. I also let her know that if we would have had a room to switch her to, we would have - and she began telling me that most hotels allow pets in every room and we should do the same. We even discounted $40.00 from her bill for her dissatisfaction and asked her if that worked for her.
We feel we did everything possible for make this guest happy and can only conclude that the old saying "There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative."
~W. Clement Stone
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This is one of those properties that I was hoping to give a great review, but the flaws of my stay prevents me from giving it the best rating. If you need to stay in Willits, this is a decent place--it is safe and easy to find, the staff is helpful, hot breakfast, a pool, hot tub and free wi-fi are available. It very well may be the best place to stay in Willits. However, if you are a tourist making a stop between San Jose and Mendocino, there may be better options (try one in Ukia).

I have a mixed review from beginning to end.

Booking process (B+) I booked online using choicehotels.com and filtering on 2 Queen non-smoking room. If you put in those criteria, you get two choices at one price with no describable. Since one listed that it includes a hair dryer, that was the one I chose. The third option is an upgrade. When I checked in, I asked the gal is the difference between the two lower priced options, she said she didn't know why two options are available and all rooms come with a hair dryer. So pick which ever.

Upgrade (C) When I was checking in, I asked for a quiet room. The gal at the front desk did warn me that a high school girls basketball team was also checking in that night. She offered the "upgrade" to the adult only building. I agreed. It was a difference of $25, and I accepted it. However, if i was to redo it, I would not accept the upgrade. Besides a separate building (think the short side of a L shaped property), the only other difference is that we got two bath robes.

Spa (B) Although we didn't end up using the service, the property does have a spa. However, don't think you can book a service the next morning after you check in. book ahead of time if you intend to get a service. We checked in Friday night and learned that the aesthetician wasn't on-site Saturday. The menu prices were usual prices.

Amenities (A) Free Wi-Fi, On site pool and hot tub. There's a gym across the street that hotel guests can use (not sure if there's an additional fee). Room has coffee maker, microwave, and fridge.

Location (A) The property is just on the outside of the Welcome to Willits sign. Plenty of restaurant choices. Easy to find. Exterior nicely maintained.

Staff (A+) I talked to Jan on the phone right after booking. She was very helpful, sincere, and followed up our conversation with a useful email recap. She is the A+ part of my rating. Still, the gal checking us in was extremely helpful as well. She answered all my silly tourist questions and gave us a list of nearby restaurants and well as told us enough information to us make a decision. The morning staff was a little sketchy. I only assume they were new to job and hospitality.

Now on to the flaws.

Room 106 needs to be evaluated, and I'm not just referring to it not having Kleenex in the room.

Firstly, the ironing board has obvious holes on the cover. Why this didn't spark me to check the iron before using? I don't know. However, I did pursue to use the iron on my shirt, and then that is when I realized the iron is unusable. Burnt-in mess covered the sole plate nearly ruining my shirt. (I already let the morning staff know when I checked out so I expect that if you check in, this would have been remedied)

Second, although the room was clean, there are ick-factors such as mold issues. For example, there are obvious mold on the outside shower curtain as well as the ceiling. The room could use some TLC by either having the cleaning crew wipe down the door frames or give them a coat of fresh paint to remove the 'ick-factor' for germ-a-phobe guests.

Finally, the check-in building has circuit issues. It was a cold weekend, so the combination of heater turning off and on combined with guests using the waffle make and toaster kept tripping the breaker. 'yay' for breakers. 'boo' for toaster and waffle going out-of-whack such that 3 of the 7 guests had either burnt their toast, bagel, and waffle.

In summary, the stay was decent. The courteous staff was the best part of my one night stay. This place can easily become a favorite if they would pay a little more attention to the details.

Room Tip: Personally, I wouldn't bother for upgrade if you're just looking for a quiet room. The pro...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the thoughtful review of your stay. We really do read and value each review and take the opportunity to implement suggestions.

Just a couple of responses - the booking - the two Queen/Queen rooms are one is Pet Friendly and the rest are not. The amenities in the room are the same. I wish there was a way Choice Hotels had to make this clearer - like a doggie icon next to that room choice. It does say Pet Friendly, but not everyone notices it.

The difference between upgraded rooms and traditional rooms are bathrooms, no children under 18 allowed and nicer linens on the beds, nicer furnishings. We tried to make them a little less hotel looking.

We apologize for the iron - no excuses - houskeeping should have caught this! Mold also - especially important to be on top of in the colder months.

The breaker in the lobby has been fixed, it just got weak as they sometimes do.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us and we will do everything possible to make us a favorite!

Jan

Been to Baechtel Creek Inn, An Ascend Collection? Share your experiences!