“Wonderful, relaxing, clean, and very friendly staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Willits
GreenLeadersBronze level
Davis, California
“Wonderful, relaxing, clean, and very friendly staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night with our dog before heading up to oregon camping for two weeks. Our stay here was the perfect way to begin. Jan was wonderful, very friendly and sincerely interested in making sure her guests are comfortable and happy. Our room was a pet friendly room, very clean and the bedding was nice and soft. The bed was a little firm for me, but I usually sleep on a feather bed with a foam topper underneath, (princess and the pea syndrome). We asked to take a look at the non pet friendly rooms for trips without the dog and were very impressed with how nicely they are appointed. The pool and breakfast area are lovely. We had a very relaxing morning just hanging out at the pool before heading up to Oregon for the big campout. We will definitely be staying here again, with and without the dog, and recommending this wonderful little oasis to everyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, An Ascend Collection, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
It is always a pleasure to hear from our guests traveling with their pets! We have 4 pet friendly rooms and we always enjoy our canine guests-they are some of the nicest and well mannered guests! Thank you for taking the time to let us know your experience -after a long summer it is a pleasant reward for our staff!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We had our club stay at the Baechtel Creek Inn for 3 nights and I could not have been happier. The Staff was amazing, the rooms were clean and neat, the food was wonderful. What more could you ask for. The Inn owner and manager was amazing to us, she took care of everything from making reservations on the Skunk train to making sure everyone had a wonderful breakfast. I can not say enough about this place, if you need just one night or you have a group that needs to stay for 3 nights this is your place. I have planed a lot of events in the past with a lot of different hotels. This one was the best by far. The Redwood Empire Model T club would like to Thank the Baechtel Creek for such a great time!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Chris and his group were one of the best groups we ever hosted- just delightful in every way, positive and happy people. We wish all our groups were as easy to host as the Redwood Empire Model T Club was. Chris did an amazing job putting together an itinary that was diverse and fun for his group and there is nothing as plesant as to see everyone having a great time! Thank you all!

Jan & Staff
Manteca, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were lucky enough to get a room as 'walk-ins' in the late afternoon! We got exactly what we needed too. They discounted for AAA, so the price was good. The room was very nice. This is an older place, but has been updated very nicely. A complimentary bottle of wine was given to us-extra nice touch! The bed was comfortable, room was spacious enough & quite for the night. AC worked great. The breakfast room is very pretty with outside seating as well & it's very pretty outside! The grounds are beautiful. The breakfast was good, hot items offered along with banana bread! The staff was very friendly & helpful. It was a very nice stay for us.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
It was a delight to have you as our guest and we appreciate your feedback. We share all comments with our front desk as well as housekeeping staff and it great reviews are all an added incentive to continue to work hard for our guests! Thank you
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We used this as our start to go north through the Redwoods and 1-101 along the coast. They had a friendy staff, clean rooms with comfortable beds. Breakfast was very good with good advice on some side routes to visit locally. We would stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased you were happy with your stay! Reviews always give our staff a pat on the back and opportunities to improve our service and hotel, so they are really very much appreciated!
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The best in Willits! The staff was wonderfully accommodating in answering questions about area attractions, permitting an earlier than planned checkout due to sudden travel restrictions, and maintaining beautiful facilities! My only negative feedback would be all the service vehicle noise which they can't do anything about. I also really liked that they are a pet friendly place. Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to be on the same 'side'. There's not much to a 'front' view...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, An Ascend Collection, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
We are glad your experience was almost perfect! We appreciate your feedback and thank you for staying with us!

Jan
McKinleyville, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I find that the reviews on trip advisor are usually pretty spot on in helping me select a good hotel for wherever our travels take us. Unfortunately I was disappointed during a recent stay we had at the Baechtel Creek Inn. We were in Willits for my daughters swim meet and were looking for a nice family hotel where my kiddos could unwind and play in the pool while we could relax after the meet. I took the day off work on Friday so that we could arrive early enough to enjoy the pool and then grab dinner. We checked in at 5:00 after 3 hours in the car with kids that were ready to get out of the car and into the pool. The staff member that checked us in was friendly but didn't seem knowledgeable regarding nearby restauarants and the one she referred us to (Al's Redwood Room) was a bit seedy and also shared an entrance to the restaurant with a bar, not what I was hoping for in dining with two small children. She said that she needed to double check that our room was clean (which I thought odd since it was already 5:00), she quickly confirmed that our room was available and gave us our room key but failed to give directions to our room (not a big deal but she really didn't seem "present:", after years of experience in the hospitality industry I'm pretty picky about this). We lugged our kids and some of our stuff upstairs only to find that the cleaning staff was still working on our room and they told us that it would be at least half an hour until we would be able to check-in. Had to break it to the kids that we wouldn't be able to swim and had to go eat first (major melt-down). After our not-so-good experience at Al's Redwood Room we returned to the hotel and went down to the lobby. There was now a manager with the staff member and I told her that I was suprised and disappointed that we were unable to check in at 5:00 when we arrived. I was really surprised with her curt response that the hotel was completely booked the evening before and people were really slow in leaving and that their policy states that check in is AFTER 3. She stated that "check-in after 3:00 means that the hotel is not required to have our room available at 3 just sometime after 3:00" Seemed like a vague response, would she still think that ok if our room wasn't available at 7 or 8 pm? I told her that other peoples late arrivals should not affect the day that we had planned with an arrival that was later than their check-in time of 3:00 (5:00) and asked her if it would be possible to have a discount on the room given our inconvenience. My request was denied and I didn't receive apology for their poor planning with cleaning arrangements. Left the room angry but wanted to enjoy my time with my family. Went back to the room (very warm, air conditioning had been turned off) and got ready for the pool. Went down and asked for pool towels, then had to wait while the staff member had to go through the entire check-in process with another guest. She then had to "check-out" our towels to our room. She had to encode the number of towels I took in her computer and then give me the towels (seemed a bit petty and ineffcient and continued to get further upset about more missed quality family time). Enjoyed our time out at the pool, beautiful location next to the creek and fun with other families in town for the meet. As we headed upstairs for the night my husband (a firefighter) noted that their fire extinguisher had not been serviced since 2007 (CA requires that these be checked and recorded yearly). I didn't feel much better when I plugged in my laptop and a few small sparks came from the outlet! Rooms are basic but they have had some upgrades (and it appeared they are in the process of more) but just felt that a lot of the upgrates were superficial with quite a few things older and in need of repair (air conditioning unit was old, inefficient, and noisy). However, beds, pillows, and bedding were very comfy and very clean. The next day we headed out and returned about 2:30. Our room was not cleaned, and the room of our friends next door had also not been cleaned. Someone had come in, drawn the blinds, and turned off the air conditioner, however didn't clean anything while they were there. It was pretty hot for us (especially considering we're from the foggy coast) and it took a long time (a couple of hours) for the air conditioning to cool down the room again after it had warmed back up. Just thought it was odd that they turned off the air conditioning during our stay, I've always assumed that I'm paying for the room and that during my stay I should be able to keep the temperature to a comfortable level for my family. We called down to the front desk to see if housekeeping would be cleaning our room that day. Housekeeping came up quickly and cleaned while we were at the pool. Also our keys wouldn't work on our second day, we heard many families saying that they experienced the same thing. Had to go downstairs, wait in line again, and get the keys fixed in the computer Again, not a huge deal but all of the little things were certainly adding up. On our second day we enjoyed more time at the pool and had a great dinner (with great customer service) at the Lumberjack restuarant down the street. Sorry that this ended up a bit long winded, I had good expectations for this Inn and there were quite a few good things. However, customer service goes a long way with me and a sincere apology is really all that was necessary for these inconveniences and I don't feel that we received that at all. I understand that it can be more stressful to manage and coordinate when things get busier than anticipated, but a smile, understanding, and an effort to make things right can make all the difference in the world. Considering the price we paid per night I would say that we did not recieve similar amenities we would have recieved at a comparable type of lodging.

Room Tip: Ask for room that has already been remodeled.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
JanBaechtel, General Manager at Baechtel Creek Inn, An Ascend Collection, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate when our guests share their thoughts and experiences with others.

There were many things addressed in this review - however, I do want to answer a few of those that I think others need to be made aware of.

Check in is after 3 PM and we do try to do everything possible to make that happen. On a busy weekend, with our prior guests checking out after 11 am - and the new group arriving after 3PM - there is a short window of time and things don't always go as smoothly as possible.
This guest was offered the use of the pool and hot tub, we have a restroom in the lobby, because we saw she had a little one with her and we understand the long drive! She preferred to wait for the room. The room was actually ready in 20 minutes of her arrival, however, they had left to go to dinner.

We have a system with our pool towels - they are nice big fluffy ones and we check them out at the front desk. We have an inventory form and the guest signs and we write down how many towels are checked out. The guest can return them to us or bring them to their room. We inventory our linens to help control costs - which is beneficial to our guests as it keeps their costs down.

We also are doing everything possible to incorporate "green" practices at our hotel. This means in the am when housekeeping goes through the rooms, they turn off all lights and A/C or heater units. Hotel rooms are a single room and keeping the A/C, lights, etc on all day wastes a tremendous amount of energy. When a guest returns to their room and turns on their A/C - considering that it is just one room, it cools down within 10 minutes maximum.

Our rooms are always being upgraded - we just received our new Samsung Flat Screen TVS and they are being installed over the next few weeks. Our bedding is all white sheet duvets - to ensure our guest's cleanliness and comfort.

NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Left San Francisco and drove up the coast. We made these reservations on line. Very clean room. Served br beakfast in the lobby in the morning. Staff could have been more helpful as far as nearby resturants and attractions. Used the pamphlets available to find the skunk train ride the next day. Had a pool and hot tub that looked very nice but it was a little too cool.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your review. We are glad you were happy with your stay!

Been to Baechtel Creek Inn, An Ascend Collection? Share your experiences!