“Thank You TripAdvisor Mobile App!” 5 of 5 stars

Granzella's Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   391 6th Street, Williams, CA 95987   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Williams
1,698 helpful votes 1,698 helpful votes
“Thank You TripAdvisor Mobile App!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

After some business in San Mateo, we needed a place for a quick overnight stop before heading up to our beach cottage in Seaside, Oregon. I checked the TA mobile app and found The Granzella's Inn in Williams. It was around 11:00pm when we arrived and we were given a Junior Suite with a free loaf of sourdough bread (love it!) and a coupon for 10% off of the deli for $89/night.

Our room was very nice with a comfy bed, flat screen TV and nice granite countertops. The bathroom was a bit small but it was not annoying. This property includes breakfast which is served in a nice room adjacent to their small fitness center. The staff was very friendly and there is also a small pool and jacuzzi here which we did not have time to use.

The property is very clean and well-maintained and the lobby is very pretty. The next day we used our coupon at the deli to pick up goodies to take up to Willamette Valley Vineyards for a picnic out on the deck since it was such a beautiful day.

I highly recommend a stop here! Thank you Granzella's for giving us a nice place to rest our heads before heading up the Interstate. :)

Room Tip: The Junior Suites are spacious and nice! They have new shower heads and subway tile in the bathroom...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Waterton Lakes National Park, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

My girlfriend and I spent a month road tripping through California and stopped in to inquire about spending a night here, early on in our travels. We arrived without reservation, after dark and went in to ask about room rates and availability. The Innkeeper retorted in a very condescending tone that the only room she had available was the Presidential Suite, and did not offer to elaborate on the price. When we asked, she again retorted indignantly that it was too expensive for us (we are a couple in our mid-20's). Feeling very insulted, but still wanting to know the price, we asked again. When she told us the price for 1 night, I almost laughed out loud at how cheap it was for a "Presidential Suite".

Part of me wanted to take the room, right there, just to spite the old woman. But instead we bite our tongues, politely said thank you and left. After being treated in such a poor, disrespectful manner, there was no way I was going to give my money to an establishment such as this.

As a University graduate with a business degree in Tourism Management (my girlfriend also has a University degree, a Bachelor of Hotel & Resort Management), we were appalled at the disgusting level of customer service. I have rarely experienced such poor behavior in the tourism industry. And because of her behavior, I would strongly suggest that all travelers avoid this venue in the future! No traveler should ever have to experience that kind of service.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Ventura, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

This hotel was quiet for the most part. Seemed clean. There is only one clerk at front desk so not much going on. The only downfall was the hard water (SO hard you can't get a lather with your soap) and the front desk clerk when we were leaving called our room at 11:09 to ask if we were checking out. I told her we were leaving as we were going out the door when she called and she still reminded me that check out was at 11:00!! I thought that was rude until we walked by and I asked if my AAA disount had been used. She proceeded to be one of the rudest I've ever encountered. If you stay here, you should enjoy it. Nice, family resaurant right in front of motel. Just look out for 'Kelly' if you aren't in the mood for bad manners!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Lakebay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

We've be past this location on many trips, but last October the timing was right to stop, and we weren't sorry. Granzella's is newly renovated following a fire, and the accommodations are excellent. The front desk was very friendly and helpful, and it's an easy walk across the parking lot to the restaurant. We highly recommend both the hotel and restaurant.

Room Tip: Stop early in the day if you want some choices.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Bend, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

We needed a place for an overnight stop and Granzella's in Williams came up as alternative to the Holiday Inn Express in Willows. We chose Granzella's for three reasons - the price was right ($80 / night for our stay), the convenience of having a restaurant / deli owned by them conveniently across the parking lot for our dinner after a long driving day and traveler reviews were good.

There were some hits and misses here. But the bottom line is that for the price and for a one night stay we'd recommend it to others. This an owner operated place with pride of ownership evident.

Summary above, here are the details:

ROOMS: Clean and comfortable rooms and beds, although the bathroom was just OK with a door that barely cleared the commode. Which my husband pointed out was a small, round front commode.

STAFF: The people at the Inn are friendly, although you may find yourself placed on hold for long periods when you make reservations as they seem to have but one person answering phones and checking in customers.

NO ELEVATOR: Here's an important note for folks who cannot navigate stairs - about 18 of 'em between the first floor and the second. This property, although an all inside access to rooms property that is relatively new, does not have an elevator. The best rooms for privacy and quiet are on the second floor, so be prepared to lug luggage upstairs if you can climb stairs.

BE VIGILANT ABOUT FIRST FLOOR RESERVATIONS IF YOU CAN'T CLIMB STAIRS TO THE SECOND FLOOR: When I made reservations over a month in advance of our trip, I was specific that I could not navigate stairs. No, I said, I didn't need an accessible room (although they do have them on floor one I am told), I just cannot walk up more than a couple of stairs due to MS related mobility limits.

I was told the hotel policy is they do not guarantee first floor rooms given they are apparently in high demand and short supply, but they would be certain one was assigned for us given the reason.

I thanked them and said were they not able to guarantee that, I would stay at the Holiday Inn Express where elevator was available. No problem, I was assured.

To be absolutely certain this happened, the day before our arrival, my husband called to ensure we had a first floor room assigned. He was assured that would happen.

On check in, the woman at the desk said she was surprised to find (as were we) that we had been put in a second floor room.

Then she did the work of scrambling things up to find us a first floor room for the night...while the phone rang off the hook.

I share this only to reinforce for folks who MUST have first floor rooms, you'll need to be vigilant about that assignment here.

Although I was also told my need for a first floor room was now part of my "permanent record" and would be an easier go for my next stay. Since we'll definitely stay here again, that is good to know!

RESTAURANT ACROSS PARKING LOT: At check in we were given a discount coupon for he restaurant across the parking lot, owned by the same folks. You can eat well enough there if you choose carefully. Although we'd recommend eating in the bar for friendlier service, based on our experience, as long as the taxidermy on walls and standing about doesn't trouble you.

The deli is a good one and the convenience store has a host of options for take out if you'd rather do that. And you should not pass up the gelateria in the deli - really good gelato!

CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST: Considering the restaurant across the parking lot serves breakfast, I was surprised they offered a continental breakfast at the Inn. The breakfast room is impossibly cramped, so not a place one is likely to want to perch in for long. We're pretty happy with a banana and yogurt in the morning, so that worked for us to grab and go. But I was tempted to make a second visit to deli's gelato bar for breakfast take away! Seriously.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
West Linn, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

I gave this place a try on a recent road trip to Northern California and was very impressed. Your experience starts at the front desk, where you will be greeted in a very friendly manner. I immediately felt very much at home. The property has apparently renovated and the rooms are clean, well-furnished, and quiet. The breakfast selection was just okay, but it is included with your room price. You also get a coupon for a free, small loaf of sourdough bread and a 10% off coupon for food purchased in their restaurant/deli/olive tasting room across the parking lot. I highly recommend one of their delicious sandwiches from the deli -- I got a pastrami sandwich to go for my lunch on the road, and thought it was one of the best sandwiches I have had in a long time. I have no doubts that I'll be back.

Room Tip: Your only real choice is top floor or bottom floor.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
reno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

Remodeled and a job well done. Good location for those that ride motorcycles. Close to good eats. always clean and neat. Very helpful and friendly staff. The staff usually has us park by the office so the bikes can be "supervised" All the many years we have stayed there we have always gotten coupons for discount meals and free sourdough bread. They replaced the old flea bitten grizzly bear that used to stand at the top of the stairs with some other wild life mounts that fit the area better. They could use an elevator.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Granzella's Inn? Share your experiences!