“Don't let the name fool you” 4 of 5 stars

You added Westlake Village Inn to your Saves list
Westlake Village Inn
31943 Agoura Road, Westlake Village, CA 91361   |
New York City, New York
“Don't let the name fool you”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The name of this hotel could lead you to believe it is much less than what it really is. Thankfully, a friend talked me into staying. The rooms are gorgeous. A little dated, but well maintained. Set on a golf course as a backdrop with stone walkways and lush grounds to enjoy. Staff was excellent. Bar closed a little early though;11:00pm.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Robert W, Rooms Director at Westlake Village Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Christopher C.,
Thank you for you for your recent stay and positive review of the Westlake Village Inn. Our name reflects the charm and history of our property and you are correct we have much more to offer than a typical Inn. From our Food & Beverage facilities, wine tasting and Tennis Club our property definitely has a resort feel. I am glad the staff were able to assist you with your needs and you enjoyed your experience with us.

We look forward to seeing you back at the Inn again soon!

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I had heard the hotel was nice and pulling in, it looked like it had some promise. Oddly, there was no valet and no bellman to help me with my luggage. At the front desk they told me I could just drive to the area where my room was located, although another guest at the desk said there was no parking anywhere, the front desk insisted I would find parking. Unfortunately, the guest was more informed than the front desk. After driving around the property and finding no parking anywhere, I was directed to a lot nearby in front of the night club where there was a valet, who would not park my car but showed me where I could park and I humped my bags back to the front desk in high heels over the cobblestone drive. Not a great introduction to the property, but the front desk attendant offed to help me to my room and hoping the worst was behind me, I put down my things and went into the bathroom and was disappointed with the very average accommodations. The shower rod was falling off the wall, the tiny old bathtub had a ratty shower curtain and they had some weird curtains surrounding the tub that was trying to distract from the awful bath, lipstick on a pig. the toilet and sink made some odd rattling pipe noises that lasted too long and the shower head leaked all night drip, drip, drip. Yes I closed the door...but still. The bathroom was below average, with a Formica, faux marble vanity.

There was a musty smell to the room, and being on the ground floor, I couldn't open the sliding doors to get some air as it wouldn't be safe to have the door open at night.
Anyway...I got into bed to watch some TV before falling asleep, but it stopped working, just froze none of the controls worked. I called the front desk and they sent someone to quickly fix it. Only took 20 minutes total...but still.

My six am wake up call never came, but I expected as much so when i swoke at 5 i wouldn't let myself falll back asleep. When I called for room service at 615. They informed me that I could leave a message as room service didn't open till 7. Seriously? Never again.

Room Tip: Hope you get one, I didnt
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Robert W, Rooms Director at Westlake Village Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Mimi758,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Westlake Village Inn. I would like to apologize for the difficulty that you experienced with respect your arrival experience here at the property. It is always our goal to give our guests a warm welcome to the property and I understand that we did not succeed in that effort for you. We are working on ways to segment our parking more effectively so that large events or other property amenities do not affect our parking for hotel guests.

I have read your comments regarding the quality of the bathroom and appreciate your feedback. We are looking at various projects for the hotel in 2014 and hearing the feedback of our guests is a key component to that decision making process. I apologize that our current facilities were not what you were hoping for and I want to assure you that we will work toward a more user friendly bathroom design. If you should visit us in the future please let us know if you experience these types of issues and we will be happy to rectify them for you very quickly.

Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

After about eight to ten visits over two years, I can say that the Westlake Village Inn is truly unique to the LA/Thousand Oaks area in that it is a gorgeous property that lends to feeling comfortable in its beautifully landscaped gardens and many water features. The rooms are large and well equipped, all with patios or balconies. The Housekeeping is excellent and quick to respond to requests for extra towels, pillows etc. There is an excellent restaurant on the property, as well as a new and distinctive vinyard/wine bar/high end deli open all day for meals or just a glass of wine with friends or family. There is also a night club which I cannot speak to, but lots going on there. The pool is beautiful, as is the lake and the tennis courts. It has just about everything you could want on a visit. Elizabeth Villavicencio is the most helpful and friendly concierge/client services manager of any hotel we have stayed in. She will make it right, and she will get it done for you. Westlake Village Inn is so much more than a hotel. It is definitely not a cookie cutter building. There are many rooms and suites to choose from in a setting that is a splendid respite from the crowds, traffic and clutter of the LA area.

Room Tip: Not a bad location on the property. Even if you are facing the parking areas, free, I might add, th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert W, Rooms Director at Westlake Village Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Judy F.,
Thank you so much for choosing the Westlake Village Inn and for sharing your experience with us. We have a great team of people that I am privileged to work with each day and Elizabeth is definitely a great team member. Thank you for taking the time to recognize her efforts on your behalf. Our property is definitely unique and has a great deal to offer and I am happy that you got the chance to experience that first hand.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you back at the Inn in the future.

Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This was my first visit to the hotel arriving late at night. I was in the area for a business meeting. As one arrives the grounds reflect a country setting. The lobby is unpretentious but reflecting a quality hotel. The receptionist was pleasant and took care of the formalities of registration quickly. It was nice to have a fresh apple and a Kuerig green tea after the trip from the airport. In fact during the day they have ice water and a lemonade type drink in the lobby,

The grounds at night are wonderful, brick walkways with water fountains. This is not a typical hotel with 20 stories. Instead there are a number of "country villas". My place was the third building from the lobby. The room was spacious having a fireplace and a desk to work. The temperature controls worked flawlessly. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. In fact, there were enough pillow to adjust your rest to watch TV. The bathroom was spacious with two sinks and a whirlpool bath/shower. The typical bathroom amenities were appreciated. The only wish was that the flat screen TV have higher resolution with digital channels. Otherwise, the room was quiet and had restful nights.
On the hotel grounds are a restaurant and a bar/nightlife, Mediterraneo and Bogie's that are quite popular. The bar was upbeat and enjoyable. The prices were reasonable and the selection quite large.
The continental breakfast was on the light side and for a business stay not open early enough. It would have been nice to have some eggs and ham or other meats. However, down the way is a cafe, Stonehaus, that has a hearty choices for breakfast and is open earlier. In the evening, it is a good choice for having some wine or coffee.
Across the way from the hotel are a deli, a couple of other restaurants and a movie theater.
If you want to ride a bicycle, they have several to tour the neighborhood. An enjoyable stay in a country-like atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Robert W, Rooms Director at Westlake Village Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear R_&_R_Travellers,
Thank you so much for your recent stay and kind words about the Westlake Village Inn. The entire team here at the property really work to provide the experience that you had and I am very thankful that you chose to share that with us. I will be sure to share this with our team. The entire property is very European in theme and I'm glad that resonated with you.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and I hope to see you back here at the Inn soon!

Southern california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I recently completed an extended stay at WVI with my family where we had several rooms booked over a couple of weeks. We had a complete opportunity to experience the property, and while there are many positives, in our opinion the hotel would do well to focus on serving residents in a more complete way.

First the positives. The setting is an impeccably cared for grounds with wonderful plantings, water features, a tree canopy and every room with a wonderful patio and chairs to sit outside. You aren't looking at parking lots or roads, the views are really nice, and the patios are a huge win for those who enjoy some fresh air. The grounds contain multiple restaurants, a wonderful outdoor wine bar named The Stone Haus, a pool/spa, and right behind the property a tennis club and golf course. This is not your normal hotel property! The rooms are in two story wings, quite easy to access. Inside, the rooms are clean and fairly simple. The staff are friendly and try to help. The rooms were quiet, despite the presence of multiple wedding parties over several nights. There is a lot to like at WVI.

On the down side, the plumbing in the rooms is quite old and could use an upgrade. The shower controls were very finicky, as was the hot and cold water on the sink. The keys were a major problem. Time and time again the key did not work resulting in a walk to the lobby to get a new key. This didn't happen a few times...it kept happening again, and again and again. One time it took three trips back to back to back to get it solved. Room service was very slow. A simple order of a couple of beers and a glass of wine took anywhere from 25 minutes to 45 minutes. Never did it come as promised in 20 minutes. The service was always pleasant, but late. The hotel would do well to serve a continental breakfast at the lobby, but instead they try to drive you over to one of their restaurants, so you have to move halfway across the grounds for breakfast. The main restaurant, Mediterraneo, was OK. Not cheap and the food was decent but not memorable in any form. There is a bar that seems to be a singles place generally. The Stone Haus was a pleasant alternative for a glass of wine in a very nice outdoor setting, but during the week they were making last call around 9:15pm, and it just didn't seem to make sense. The pool was out of commission one day while they did a movie shoot, and it left us wondering why they would inconvenience the paying residents by taking the pool out of play during summer for an entire day. On the weekends, parking is ridiculous. With the large crowds for the bars and restaurant, there is no parking left for residents. Around and around we drove on Friday and Saturday, finally calling the hotel and they told us to park in valet, on the other side of the property. It would have been nice to know that upon check in, as you don't even know there is valet available in the entrance where you pull into the hotel.

The WVI wasn't awful, but at around $200 a night it wasn't up to the price. The owners seem to be printing money with all of the different properties on the grounds going, but in the end the hotel needs to remember it is there for the residents. It is cheaper than the nearby Four Seasons by a good amount, and in some respects offers things others can't. If you are a frequent visitor on business to this area, give it a go, but accept what comes with it, good and bad.

Room Tip: Go for a room towards to golf course.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Robert W, Rooms Director at Westlake Village Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Socalicouple,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Westlake Village Inn and for sharing your experience with us. It is always important to hear from our guests and I appreciate you sharing with me both the good that you experienced here and the challenges that you saw as well. We are definitely aware of the parking challenge and are evaluating our strategies on that each week at our Management Meetings in order to find a solution that works well for our guests. We are also looking at renovation ideas for the future that actually focus very strongly on our bathrooms and plumbing. I appreciate your concerns and just want you to know that we see these things and are already working toward solutions for them.

Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to seeing you back at the Inn in the future.

Fairfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This was our second time staying at the Westlake Village. It was better than we remembered. We loved it the first time and this time there was so much more to love. Our room was fabulous looking over the lake. Breakfast was great in the Mediterrano and the new coffee/wine tasting place Stonehouse. We absoutely will stay here again, We can't wait to go back and experience the goodness of what this hotel has to offer!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear kacey_ram,
Thank you for your recent stay and kind words about the Westlake Village Inn. It is always great to hear how our return guests feel about the evolution of the property and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit again. The Stonehaus has been a great addition to the property and really rounded out our offering here in the perfect way.

Thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you back here at the Inn!

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is a very nice place to stay when visiting near Los Angeles, Malibu, Santa Monica. It has a golf field and a countryside atmosphere. The only problem I face was that my room was in the 2nd floor and had to bring my heavy suitcase through the stairs (no elevator available).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Robert W, Rooms Director at Westlake Village Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear BeatrizCoutinho,
Thank you for your recent stay and kind words about the Westlake Village Inn. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our location is a great asset to us and provides easy access to many different destinations in the Greater Los Angeles Area. Our property is a historic property and does not have elevators, but please let us know if you need luggage assistance and we will be happy to provide that to make your stay more pleasant.

We hope to see you here at the Inn again soon and thank you again for your kind words.

Robert Witcher

Been to Westlake Village Inn? Share your experiences!