“Fantastic Resort” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   31943 Agoura Road, Westlake Village, CA 91361   |
San Diego, California
“Fantastic Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Great resort, we stayed mid week in June so it was very quiet. The property was gorgeous and all the places to eat and stay were great. We stayed in a mini suite and it had a fridge so bring your own snacks and water. The gardeners were quite loud and the front desk concierge was terrible. Eat at Shibuya in Calabasas if you love Sushi and Leilas for fine dining...both were incredible. The wineries are right around the corner as is Malibu. I got a great massage in the spa. Just two rooms for spa not an actual spa. Very inexpensive and relaxing overall. Pool is small.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert W, Rooms Director at Westlake Village Inn, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear luv2travelSanDiego,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Westlake Village Inn and for sharing your experience with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your time at the property and were able to explore the surrounding areas which really have a lot to offer. My team and I are always looking to improve our service and I would like to apologize for our Concierge service not being up to par. I have sent you a private message regarding that.

I am glad that you enjoyed the pool bar and were able to relax during your stay here. That is really the essence of what we provide here and I am glad that you enjoyed it. I hope to see you back here at the Inn soon.

Robert Witcher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed at the Westlake Village Inn for 2 nights on a business trip. Located on the west side of the Santa Monica Mmountains just north of LA, the grounds are gorgeous with blooming roses and a myriad of other flowers sprinkled throughout. The buildings are beautiful with a few in particular looking like they are part of an old Tuscan estate. Ate at the Stonehaus restaurant and the food was excellent. Staf were all very friendly and I would highly recommend this hotel for families vacationig in the area as well as for anyone who just wants to get away for soe R and R.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Robert W, Rooms Director at Westlake Village Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Ken S.,
Thank you so much for your recent stay and review of the Westlake Village Inn. I am very happy that you enjoyed your time with us and we are honored that you chose us on such a long trip. The gardens are looking absolutely beautiful and the smell in the early morning right now is gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing your experience and I hope to see you back here at the Inn soon.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed at the Westlake Village Inn twice recently and would chose it again! The rooms we got were quite spacious and well maintained. The setup of widespread two story buildings allows you to park your car close to your room.
The rooms give you all you need without being super modern of exclusive. Just a very nice authentic hotel with friendly staff, nice location and best in class price per value!

Room Tip: There are no elevators to reach second floor. In case you don't want to carry your luggage up th...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert W, Rooms Director at Westlake Village Inn, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Dear Gomess1,
Thank you for your recent stay and kind words about the Westlake Village Inn. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience. We have a beautiful and charming property and really focus on trying to provide the service that matches our charming surroundings. I am very pleased to know that we succeeded for you. I look forward to seeing you back at the Inn in the future.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Just returned from a visit to the Westlake Village Inn yesterday as a guest for a wedding

The Tuscan gardens was the place of choice with the most perfect timing for the jasmine arches to be in full bloom ( save the date for your wedding next year, 3rd week of May!)

The catered portion was by the pond, very attentive service, great quality food served ( cooked to perfection and served at the right temperature).

Ample parking by the entrance of the property with pleasant walk under the flowered arches.
You will also love to watch the hummingbirds, woodpeckers, swallows and hawks flying by.

A must consider from the other busier larger hotel locations.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Robert W, Rooms Director at Westlake Village Inn, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Meherio,
Thank you for your recent visit and review of the Westlake Village Inn. Please extend our congratulations to the happy couple on their marriage. We wish them and their families all the best as they embark on life together. I am very happy to hear that our property and landscaping provided a great backdrop for this special event. Thank you again for sharing your story and we hope to see you here at the Inn again in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is one of the tougher reviews I've done because the experience was so mixed. I would say that I will stay here again because the outside experience is so incredibly inviting and relaxing, overcoming the very average room interiors. I would add that the price was excellent, so that would be a tipping factor in favor for many folks.

The Pros: The grounds are fabulous, beautiful and inviting to walk around. The external style is Mediterranean, which I happen to like. There are roses and other aromatic flowers all over so that - unlike any other hotel I've ever been in - this one comes with an amazing ambiance of scent. Wedding planners would do well here, esp. with the gazebo over the water. All rooms come with patio (1st floor) or balcony (2nd floor), which is a great amenity. Wiith strong room wifi signals, I was able to sit out each evening and enjoy the natural air and sunlight while online. Oh, and that wifi signal is everywhere, so you can connect all over the premises without even having to log on. The exercise room, tho small, is available 24 hours, good news for east coasters up early. There are bikes you can borrow for free to ride to nearby restaurants or just gad about. Since all roads here have bike lanes, this is a very safe locale to ride (and run for that matter). On this point, the location of the hotel is excellent. It is within walking distance of shops and restaurants, and close enough to the lake (4.5 mi loop around the lake great for running and leaisurely biking). I much prefer this locale to that of the Four Seasons, where I've also stayed. Finally, the new coffee shop (Stone Haus) recently added to the property is a clear winner, apparently with locals too. Not only are the baristas happy to discuss what coffee you might want, but th coffee is good and the outside seating includes a large stone fireplace as well as tables with firepits you can ask to be lit on cooler mornings. The shop doubles as a wine bar, which attracts a large contingent in the late afternoons / early eves, sometimes even making seating hard to find. Now that's popular. I spent many hours here over only a couple days it was that inviting.

The Cons: These are unfortunately significant enough they merit attention here and caused me not to give a 4 rating. My first impression was unfortunate, as there was a problem with my room that took some time to resolve (and shouldn't have happened with proper maintenance schedules). And I had to initiate the communications to find out what was happening. So I couldn't unpack and hit the road for a while (I might have had to move). The rooms themselves were only OK, not only mine, but I heard from others as well. I understand this may be because they are the oldest part of the hotel, having been built some 30 years ago. Whereas the external is Med red tile influence, the internal for some disjointed reason is more like country rustic. It's all done in darker earth tones. This makes the room was quite dark despite a sunny outside and large sliding glass doors (to the welcome balcony). The bathroom was only a bit lighter with mid-tone beige. The bed lamps don't have a main switch, so you have to walk to each side of the bed to turn them on, which is necessary to get enough light in the room once its dark (and I had some lights on during the day, too). The grout in the bathroom was not all clean, as I saw age and a couple mold stains around the tub (and I had a light bulb out that I extracted and placed where it could be seen but was left unfixed til I asked, which combined with the grout and aforemetioned problem points to a lack of attention to maintenance routines). And while the shower / tub was a sit-in jacuzzi style, it was set far enough in that I (over 6' tall) had to stretch to get into the tub. The handicapped and shorter individuals will have extreme difficulty getting into the shower. I found the bed harder than most American hotels, being more like the European ones I am used to. And the pillows, well I just can't quite describe them right. They looked incredibly fluffed. But they seemed to be filled with filament, or something man-made, that didn't make them compress right. I'm used to different pillows with all my travel, and I always manage to get some combo right, but not here, so I can't say I slept the best. Finally, the staff is young and constantly changing (which may mean this is effectively a "training" hotel, to wit my comments above re having to initiate communication on problems and lack of attention to maintenance routines).

Overall, I have to say that given the price I'll turn a blind eye to the cons and stay here again. The location and external ambiance trump the other places I've stayed around the area. I look forward to trying the restaurant - Mediterraneo - which I hear from my fellow foodies is quite good. And we'll see if the room situation improves somewhat (enough) to make me want to continue staying here.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the rose garden will have fabulous smells in the mornings while sitting out on you...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear BlueWindez,
Thank you for your recent stay and very detailed account of your experience here at the Inn. I appreciate your objectivity and the time that it took to compile such detailed information about your impressions and feedback. I am happy that the effort and planning that have gone into our landscaping and grounds enhanced your stay and added value to the experience. We are putting that same effort and planning into our new room care program that we began last month. I appreciate your feedback and would love to meet you the next time your travels bring you back to the Inn.

Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Wonderful & Beautiful property! The staff is great , willing to go out of their way to help.
Restaurants are great! Gourmet food and good ambiance. I really recommend this hotel.
The airline lost my luggage and Elizabeth at concierge persevere until she found it. It took 2 days because of her.

Room Tip: Great special on the suite!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert W, Rooms Director at Westlake Village Inn, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Sara E.,
Thank you for your recent stay and your kind words about the Westlake Village Inn. While I am sorry to hear that the airline lost your luggage I am glad to hear how Elizabeth came through for you. She is a great team member and we are very happy to have her at our property. We do have a beautiful property with many great amenities and I am happy that you enjoyed your time with us. I hope to see you back at the Inn soon!

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Traveling for business earlier this week and thrilled to be headed to the Westlake Village Inn. On morning number 1 - there was NO water in my building (uhg), the great staff had the water back on just in time for me to quickly take a shower and make it to my meeting. But I was left cleaning the dirt out of my shower that came up. Also the phone didn't work at all. Other than those two minor issues - it is an amazing place to stay.

The room I had was beautiful, the grounds beautiful and the staff great.
Plenty of dining options as well - a great 50/50 martini at one of the restaurants.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sara J,
Thank you for your recent stay and review of the Westlake Village Inn. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience that the water outage caused. We had a valve malfunction and had it replaced that day. I am sorry that it affected your stay with us. I appreciate your kind words about the team at our property and hope that we will get another opportunity to serve you. If I can be of more assistance to you please do not hesitate to contact me at robert_witcher@wvinn.com.

Robert Witcher

Been to Westlake Village Inn? Share your experiences!