“Wanted it to be better; happy hour looks promising” 3 of 5 stars

805-373-9300
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Paul Martin's American Bistro Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
los angeles, ca
“Wanted it to be better; happy hour looks promising”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was really excited for someplace new to open so we decided to check it out before we saw a movie at CIneoplis. Fortunately one of my friends told me it was really crowded so we should make a reservation. When we got there we were glad we did! Even though we had a 6:00 reservation (pretty early) they were telling people without a reservation that it was a 1.5 hour wait!

We ordered the cheese plate, butternut squash soup and the salmon. Everything did taste really fresh, which is their "thing" (farm to table), but nothing was extraordinary. It was all good but I wanted it to be better. The lemondrop was great and there was a really good and extensive wine list of glasses and bottles of wine.

I will say that the happy hour had some great deals. We tried to check it out but there were 3 people deep at the ball and all the table spots were taken. It was 5:00 on Friday so maybe you need to get there at 4 when it starts? Happy hour is every day which is nice so we'll try again some other time and hope to get a place to sit.

The interior design is really cool and it looks like they have a great patio that will be nice when it gets warmer. It was really loud so nice for a fun night out but maybe not so good for a romantic dinner or a business meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles
“Great up-scale eatery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Went to Paul Martins for an early lunch on a Saturday. We apparently beat the crowds that we've heard about and were immediately seated and served. Although a little pricey, the food was excellent and the service matched it. We had the steak and bacon tacos and mushroom burger from the $11 menu. The sweet potato fries that I substituted for the regular fries for $1.50 were outstanding. We look forward to going for their happy hour which is seven days a week from 3:00 to 7:00 and features $4 wine, beer and cocktails.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thousand Oaks, Ca
“Fresh food, highly professional service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have gone here two times, once two of us ate at the bar and once with a large group. Both times the service was extremly professional, knowledgeable and friendly. The servers knew details of the menu (preparation, ingredients...) and were able to make knowledgable recommendations that were spot on! Food was excellent and service was attentive but not rushed. My only criticism is that restaurant is loud and chairs are too low (I felt like I needed a booster seat).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
LA
“Cmon guys”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

New restaurant in the area, thought I would try it out. First, had to wait 15 minutes after the reservation while most of the seats where empty. Not a big deal. Once seated another 15 minutes before anyone came by, ordered the food 20 minutes for a salad, then another 20 minutes for the food. All during this time two families with kids decided that they wanted to sit at the bar. Since the kids could not they put them in a booth next to us. Thanks! Now I have four boys alone, unsupervised in a booth next to me at a $100 plus restaurant after 8 pm. You can imagine the noise the yelling the smashes we experienced. And of course the once every 10 minute yell from the parents for them to behave. Cmon, if I know your kids name and we never met there is a problem. I paid for a baby sitter so I could have a nice night out and now I am your free baby sitter? All the while the parents would give us a glare since we asked the boys to be quiet a few times. Great parenting- Your angels and you yelling at them ruined my evening.

Well once the food arrived it was ice cold. We sent it back only to only wait another half hour for the food to arrive again Cmon, really.

The manager did come over and apologize and they did take care of us because of the long wait so management did fix it somewhat, but I dont think the restaurant is going to get any better. You gotta know its run by the PF changs guys so its the same type of get in, eat and get out management. I was not impressed for the cost.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Oak Park, California
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We went here shortly after they opened. My husband was there the week before and thought he'd treat me to a holiday lunch. Well, I think everyone in town had the same idea that day. We waited quite a while to be seated and eventually had a lovely booth. Then we waited almost as long (30 minutes perhaps) to get a glass of wine. They were busy but I noticed that the wait staff did a lot of standing around. Perhaps it was the kitchen that was backed up? No excuse for drinks taking so long. The meal was "ok" but I wouldn't beat feet to go back soon. We will give them another try when things settle down. Everything is made from scratcch in their kitchen but that isn't a priority for me. Our daughter has a gluten intolerance so that WILL be good for her - a quality kitchen that knows every ingredient in a dish. Their bathroom was immaculate and I noticed that they were quite concerned about checking them regularly. Another good sign. I think our timing was just bad when we went although another friend had a similar "review" when we talked about it the other day.

Visited December 2012