“Great, spacious hotel, great staff but may be kicked out of rooftop!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The London West Hollywood

Save Saved
You added The London West Hollywood to your Saves list
The London West Hollywood
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1020 North San Vicente Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90069   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
London, United Kingdom
“Great, spacious hotel, great staff but may be kicked out of rooftop!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I keep coming back to The London West Hollywood. Most of the staff are just wonderfully friendly, relaxed, helpful and I adore the HUGE rooms, the equally spacious bathrooms, the delicious breakfast buffet, but most of all, I come for the lovely rooftop with a pool. HOWEVER, three times now, I and other guests have been kicked out of the rooftop due to the hotel hosting a private function. I think it's incredibly rude and short-sighted to throw out your regular guests in mid-afternoon for some wedding or other celebration. It's just not on! We pay to use these facilities and suddenly we are told to pack up and leave. I find it really bizarre! After the sun goes down; fine; bring in the circus for all I care, but in the late afternoon, just as pale London-residents like me have applied our sun lotion, we are told to get lost? Come on! Everything else about the hotel is fabulous...

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a high floor for views and less noise. And get to the rooftop pool as early as...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Laguna Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Wow. This was a huge disappointment on so many levels. I feel as if I was mugged for my USD 500 room rate.

At check-in, I was asked if this was my first visit. When I said yes, wouldn't it have been helpful to direct me to the elevators rather than just handing me my room key and turning away? Not a warm welcome Olga.

Up to the rooftop area for lunch. I've eaten at a number of Gordon Ramsay restaurants and never been less than 100% thrilled. A fabulous setting and the staff were extremely professional. They apologised that I'd only have an hour before a private event started. No problem. I ordered "crispy prawn tempura". It probably was crispy when it came out of the fryer, but why then drown it in the chilli sauce so that it was a soggy mess? Put the sauce in a bowl on the side. Come on Gordon - that's a schoolboy error.

The room was great - west facing with a balcony, so perfect for the late sun. Great products in the bathroom. Just one complaint: if you're going to provide a coffee machine, why not fill it with water before the guest arrives? Maybe another complaint - at the price, would it burn the margin to leave a basket of fresh fruit?

Went out to dinner (Cecconi's - GO!) and got back late for a digestif at the bar. The bartender was superb - totally professional and did a great job of persuading our group to order the most expensive tequila on the list. USD 40 odd a shot. Can't ever complain about someone doing his job.

I ordered breakfast in the room. At the risk of being pedantic, "sausages' is a plural, so it was disappointing to get just one on the plate. But then, if I'd had another, I'd have left it uneaten. I've bought better at Trader Joe's. Can't the kitchen make them in-house? Breakfast is the memory any guest will leave with - don't leave a sour taste. It's a chance to recover from any other disappointment. It was far from the best breakfast I've ever had. I should have gone out to a local diner - there are a number to choose from. I'm learning that potatoes are a breakfast staple in the US, but do they really need to be sautéed with onions and peppers? For breakfast?

Check-out. Come on. Wouldn't a simple "thank you for staying; I hope you'll be back" be better than "did you have anything from the minibar; do you want to charge it to the credit card you checked in with" (and preferably with eye contact to convey sincerity) be a better parting shot?

So a huge disappointment. Ludicrous - I'll be in LA for 5-7 nights a month for the indefinite future, so what a missed opportunity. Not for me, this one.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I love the layout of these rooms. They are so spacious with great, large bathrooms that are well lit and have nice, huge showers. The valet, bellmen and front desk staff are very efficient and friendly. Views from the guest rooms aren't always great unless you pay for an upgraded rooms but they offer a lovely rooftop pool and restaurant with views of the city. Location is ideal to walk to restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the London several weeks ago for a night on business. Having lived in LA for several years, I am very familiar with the area and visit often. This was our first time at the London and won't be the last. The check-in was quick and efficient, once we got to the room we were pleasantly surprised at the space and roominess. I LOVED THE HUGE BATHROOM!! It took a bit longer than usual for our bags to be delivered to the room and the front desk staff graciously comp'd champagne for us at the rooftop pool. The pool area was a little trendy, but nice. It was breezy that day so we decided to go back to the room to relax before dinner. Dinner at Gordon Ramsey's restaurant was one of the best meals I've had in awhile. The service was attentive but not overbearing, the food exceptional in preparation and quality, and the drinks were on point. I ordered several small plates, the asparagus risotto and beet salad were delicious. My husband ordered a fish and roasted brussel sprouts which were also excellent. We had breakfast at the restaurant the following morning and the food and service were consistent with the dinner service. We are looking forward to our next visit to the London and Gordon Ramsey's...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Toronto, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the first time for 6 days on a business trip to LA. Had a room on the 4th floor facing San Vicente, very quiet and the room was deluxe. It was way too big for one person, could have fit a small family and very tastefully decorated. The bathroom was a palace, to be honest it could have been a spa.

Now on to the fitness centre. This space is located on the 9th floor of the hotel beside the heated outdoor pool and rooftop terrace, which was beautiful. There's a fantastic view of the Hills and the city. Back to the fitness centre, this is a dingy little room with no view and the treadmills and ellipticals face the wall. You have this beautiful view on this floor and you have your fitness centre in a cell. Why not have a bank of windows to let in the sun, I was very disappointed especially since I was there for a week and needed to get my gym time in.

As for the breakfast buffet, get there early. Scraps as you get closer to 10am with not a refill in sight. If you decide to order from the menu, service is terrible. The wait staff is in their own little world, took forever to have our order taken after we sat. Had to get up and ask someone to come over and we were a large group, so we were noticed. Gordon Ramsey would not stand for this.

Overall, the room and the service at the main desk and valet saved this rating.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

My partner & I arrived late in the evening, check-in was prompt & courteous. Our room was upgraded - a large beautiful corner suite with a balcony complete with a his'n'her walk-in shower and amazing soaking tub. We had dinner at Gordon's restaurant - was absolutely lovely, the staff were professional, the ambiance soft and relaxed. The food was excellent, surprisingly my favourite dish of the evening had sprouts which I normally dislike! We used room service a couple of times, overall this was excellent, although a couple of drinks were missing from one order - this however was rectified within minutes - our room service attendant was brilliant, a very personable young woman. Loved the location of the hotel, it being so close to Sunset Blvd with its famous clubs, these being within walking distance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Helena, CA.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

The check in was very stiff and not very friendly.As usual no upgrade on my Amex Centurion card .We have stayed several times and never been upgraded and always have had cool service from the front desk.The door man was great as was the bell man . They offered us car cleaning service which we wanted .We got the car the following day still dirty .They felt bad and gave us a free wax,very nice . The Hotel was full and so was very busy .So its hard to write a review with out that been said .The Pool bar service was very bad,I ended up going to the bar to get our wine.This has been the same with all our stays .The pool/rooftop was closed Friday for a private event .That is not good as that was where we were going for the day.We are on vacation .Breakfast was very good as was the service .We had a strange banging noise in our room all night ,every 15 minutes or so .We asked to get it fixed but I can still hear it now .Hope it is fixed for tonight .We love this Hotel and the rooms and feel very safe here .We will be back .They just have some issues to work on .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The London West Hollywood? Share your experiences!