“Unbelievable Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The London West Hollywood

Save Saved
You added The London West Hollywood to your Saves list
The London West Hollywood
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1020 North San Vicente Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90069   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 17 hotels in West Hollywood
Boston
“Unbelievable Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

What a fabulous, relaxing place. It's a hotel that truly makes you feel like you're "away" and are in someplace special. The rooms are so well appointed, the bathrooms are huge and have great spa products. Views on city side are great. Rooftop pool is gorgeous and the staff are right on top of things. (Without asking, they brought noodles and floaties for our kids.) Breakfast buffet is worthy of London or Paris. Just a great all around experience, would highly recommend.

Room Tip: We had a two-room suite with 2 baths. Allowed Mom and Dad to have their own room and kids were on h...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

1,004 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Los Altos Hills, California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife was having ankle surgery and was going to be laid up for a week. Chose the London due to the very good value in the comfy suites and the availability of Gordon Ramsey in room dining allowed us to enjoy our meals despite being bound to the room.

Room Tip: The suites are really exceptional. We chose the Verandah suite which gave us a very large outdoor p...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed here in Oct 2012 for a girls weekend getaway. Staff was excellent, no request was denied. We stayed in The Veranda Suites which have two double beds. Bathroom is huge and soaking tub is amazing. Location is perfect if you are visiting the Strip. We did have the hotel car drop us off at a club one night which was perfect. Rooftop pool is cool scene and unbeatable views. Had room service several times and always delivered within 30 minutes. This is the perfect spot for a friend getaway. We were a noisy bunch but so were our neighbors. Probably wouldn't come here with children or is sleep in your priority. The staff is above and beyond excellent!

Room Tip: Veranda Suites have huge veranda! lol
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the London West Hollywood this Summer and I can honestly say it was one of the best hotel experiences of my life. The staff were great and nothing was ever too much trouble. We were very well looked after. the room was amazing, lots of room and super clean. Everyone raves about the breakfast on the other reviews I have read and I also agree, it was amazing. We also had dinner on the rooftop by Gordon Ramsay and that too was really nice. I found the prices surprisingly reasonable as I expected it to be a bit more expensive. The views were incredible too. Would highly recommend anyone looking for a luxurious hotel stay to book here. While it is expensive you definitely get what you pay for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Farmingdale, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I recommend this hotel highly - from the staff to the food to the room - it was amazing!!! And I am a hard sale when it comes to hotels!!! The beds are comfortable and the bathroom was huge. The breakfast is complimentary and tasted great.

Room Tip: As to be away from the Blvd so you don't get too much noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here with my husband for 4 nights mid-September. It was our first visit to LA and we were very pleased with the location of the hotel. The hotel itself is beautiful the front of house staff are very attentive. Our room was fantastic, very spacious and the bathroom was huge!

We stayed here at the beginning of the awards season so the hotel was very busy and although there were events on 3 out of the 4 nights we were here; it didn’t interfere with our stay. The rooftop pool was closed at 3pm one day for an event but we were forewarned of this and the concierge staff made alternative arrangements for us to enjoy the rooftop pool of a nearby hotel which actually added something to our experience of LA. We made full use of the free town car which was perfect when we fancied popping to the Beverly Centre or Sunset Strip but were feeling too lazy to walk.

The buffet breakfast was very nice and consisted of fresh fruit and pastries but there wasn’t much choice. We grew tired of the buffet by the end of the stay and ordered off the menu – I must say the food from the menu was fantastic but as the rooms were advertised as ‘breakfast included’ I wasn’t expecting to have to pay an extra $40 for eggs and pancakes.

The rooftop pool really adds something extra special to this hotel and we made full use of the facilities. The view is fantastic and the pool was never over-crowded. The staff are attentive and happy to help with loungers and towels however, the food service is painfully slow. We waited a long time for everything we ordered and on one occasion we had to wait 20 mins for a box of pre-packed cookies – it would have been quicker (and cheaper) for me to walk to the local store and buy them myself. In stark contrast to this, room service is very efficient and whenever we ordered our food was with us in less than 30 mins.

The only major complaint we have about this hotel is the noise at night. This hotel is located very close to both the Cedars Sinai Medical Centre and the local fire department so the sirens are constant and extremely loud. We were staying on the 6th floor in a room facing San Vicente Blvd. I’m quite a deep sleeper but lost track of the amount of times I was awoken in the night by the sound of passing ambulances and fire trucks – I’d have believed you if you’d said they were about the drive through our balcony window they were that loud! I live in City Centre London so I’m used to the constant noise of sirens at night and usually have no problem sleeping even with my windows open but this was unreal. It wasn’t until our final night that we discovered the earplugs in the bedside drawers which indicated this is obviously something the hotel is aware of!

Despite the noise, I would still consider staying at this hotel again but I would have to ask for a quieter room (if one exists) on the opposite side of the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Just back from another stay at The London and experienced a few mildly annoying moments... First, I had reserved one of the hotel’s non-smoking ‘Vista Suites’ which, if you read the hotel’s website, are located on floors 5-8. On check-in I specifically verified the room I’d booked and was given 'the last remaining room' in the category. I went to the room (on the third floor…so not a ‘Vista Suite’) and it was definitely a smoking room - the ashtray was a big hint but the overwhelming reek of stale tobacco kind of gave it away. I went back to the front desk and after some lame excuse and lots of pointless tapping on the computer I was given a non-smoking room in the category I’d booked. I stay in hotels about 100 nights a year and it often happens that front desk staff try a ‘bait and switch’ by placing customers in lower quality rooms. My advice is to always have a copy of your booking confirmation and demand to get what you’re being charged for.
Second, where’s the coffee maker? The London used to have K-Cup machines in the rooms but now they’ve been pushed out by a supersize basket of overpriced potato chips and candy bars. Yes, you can get a complimentary coffee in the restaurant but it does require getting dressed and making a trip to the lobby. Are things getting so desperate at the hotel that they have to gouge guests via the minibar to boost margins?
Third, at breakfast of one my party made a specific request for something not on the menu. I then went to the buffet and two of the wait staff were standing nearby (behind the bar) talking openly and complaining and laughing about two guests who were at that time having breakfast. One was a member of my party and the other at a near-by table. They were mocking both my friend’s request and the fact that the diners at the other table didn’t speak English. This really annoyed me. I’m well aware that people like talking about people but, really, take it in to the kitchen. Whoever is in charge of the restaurant staff should point-out that it is never a good idea to complain about your customers in the middle of a busy restaurant.
Fourth, wait staff at the pool-side restaurant were nice, but hopeless. There are barely ten things on the menu but the waitress couldn’t answer the most basic questions about the dishes. Also, the food quality was so-so at best. For example, the popcorn shrimp here just some lame fried shrimp swimming in Thai sweet chili sauce (take my advice and go to either nearby Koi or Katana for the real thing). I had the burger which is supposed to come with sautéed onions…I got a slice of raw red onion instead. This isn’t tragic, just indicative of sloppy management (and not deserving of the 'Gordon Ramsay" name. Oh, and the food is waaaay overpriced.
All little things but they add up to a larger point that management is not paying attention to the kind of details that define the customer experience…and too much attention on ramping up margins. I had really wanted a better experience as I genuinely like the hotel. However, after a number of stays I feel that the overall quality of the place has deteriorated. Keeping a top-tier hotel competitive requires on-going investment in people and the property. This seems to be lacking at The London.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The London West Hollywood? Share your experiences!