“Some pluses, some minuses.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The London West Hollywood

You added The London West Hollywood to your Saves list
The London West Hollywood
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1020 North San Vicente Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90069 (West Hollywood)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Some pluses, some minuses.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This hotel was very nice, and probably pushes a four but I couldn't quite get it there, perhaps because the location and the property weren't my kind of "vibe". To be fair I was there for a very quick overnight and didn't take advantage of the property as some others might. Despite a very large event occurring on the roof deck that evening (making this area inaccessible to mere mortals such as myself who is not a size two, who does not wear Blahniks and who - go figure - wasn't invited!) check in was uneventful, efficient and as expected; I was upgraded under my booking terms and I requested / received a quiet-side-of-the-house room. Valet parking was ridiculously expensive at $33 per day. Car retrieval the next morning took longer than expected given that I called down before I left my room and before I checked out. Common areas were quite nice and well kept with interesting finishes. The important things for me WERE present - a very comfortable bed and a clean room, with relative quiet. Bonuses were the size of the room (huge! with a game table, a sectional, a work desk, a bar with fridge, and plenty of flow space) and the large bathroom (the structural support in the middle of it notwithstanding). It was nice to have a small fridge. I might have rated this higher if it had a more comfortable task chair at the desk and perhaps a larger flat screen TV. The bath had nice amenities and better than typical towels, however, the open double shower made for a wet mess outside the shower (form over function problem here). The lighting was fair. I am always disappointed when a multi-million dollar renovation is done and they leave the crappy and original sliding glass doors in place. Really? And a sliding screen might have been nice. It was a beautiful night yet I couldn't leave the door open as bugs were drawn in. The extra large and furnished patio / deck was a nice touch but quickly presented as a negative when people on smaller decks above were smoking (yuck) and enjoying themselves (understandable but unwelcome noise).

For me - and I've lived in LA in the past, for 15 years so I'm not a stranger to the area - I didn't care for the neighborhood but I can see why some may. The property entry was very hard to find and I found the neighborhood itself dreary and gritty. To be fair, I'm more of an OC environment girl (pretty over gritty for me). Again, to some this might be a taste of West Hollywood that they would expect and will like.

I don't have any negative reports, just for me it wasn't my ideal. I was happy to be able to walk to restaurants. Also happy to find one of my favorite NYC haunts (Rosa Mexicano) nearby. I ate at Burger Lounge which have Belgian fries worthy of the walk. But I digress.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

When in L.A I stay with my extremely picky Jewish "uncle" nearby.... I like the area a lot. It has a mix of everything. Anyway so I do not stay at the London hotel but we go for High tea there in the afternoon because of the lovely view. I highly recommend the experience. If you are vegan, tell them and they put together the most yummy non-lactose high tea. It was just lovely and very reasonably priced considering. I enjoyed the decor...though it does not quite compare to the other Gordon Ramsay places in London, England it self...but I think it is an interpretation that gives it a very L.A flavour...I think some other famous hotel is just round the corner....Beverly Hills Hotel which I enjoyed checking out as well...but prefer the lovely Earl Grey Tea at the London hotel. thanks.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Stayed 12 nights at London Hotel in West Hollywood on business.

First of all, the location was really good. Right on Sunset, within walking distance to several nice restaurants, and a short taxi ride to The Grove, Beverly Center etc. There are many taxis just waiting so no problem there.

Neighborhood is quiet, though on Fridays and Saturdays, it got a little noisy, but it's LA (the Viper Room is right next door).

Room was very spacious, big bathroom and bed. Very clean as well. The rooms were so big, I couldn't see the TV properly from the bed.

There is a swimming pool on the rooftop, but didn't use it. Also a gym 24 hours open on the top floor, but it was just adequate. If you want a serious work-out I suggest going for a run on Sunset.

Gordon Ramsey is on the 1st floor, although I was a bit underwhelmed with the food, despite the price. However, there are several places to go nearby, so food was not a problem. There aren't many convenience stores nearby, so I had to use the mini-bar, which is really expensive. I suggest buying up on drinks etc.

The excellent book store Book Soup is close by.

The hotel doesn't have a decent business center. I had to pay almost $10 for just 10 minutes on the PC. Wifi works very well.

All in all, convenient and quiet location & excellent rooms make this hotel a must stay in LA.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I love, love, love this place. The lobby is beautiful, the people are beautiful, the staff is so kind. They do an amazing job with customer service. The food at Gordon Ramsay (even the complimentary breakfast) is fantastic. Even room service was great. I could not get over how big my room was both times I stayed there. The bathrooms are new and upgraded. The rooftop pool area is stunning. I even talked to David Arquette at the check-in desk one night and saw band members from Train on the rooftop. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Incline Village, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Super swanky but not The W...this Hotel doesn't 'try too hard' it was born with class and style and is proud of it!
We loved The London! Loved the location...we walked all over West Hollywood and Beverly Hills...the staff was friendly, the bed was the most comfortable we've found, the bathroom was super clean and huge, the pool and pool bar are beautiful--amazing views.
Then, we found out the best part by accident...my husband left his sport coat in the closet and we didn't realize it until we were at our next destination in Dana Point, CA...when we called the front desk to inquire we talked to Rachael Machado who found the coat quickly and FedEx'd it to our home so it would arrive there when we did. Now that's service! Thank you London Hotel! We cant wait to visit you again~

Room Tip: We liked our room which faced away from Sunset Blvd, it was really quiet and had great views of down...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

This hotel was amazing and well worth a visit! From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty with everyone going out of their way to help us. Ian at the concierge desk was fantastic and you could tell that he loved his job and genuinely wanted to help the guests. Rachel on the front reception desk also was a gem and ensured that we were checked in quickly. As a matter of fact all of the staff were incredibly friendly and just made us feel really special. The rooms are beautiful as is the rest of the hotel. The location was great and within walking distance to restaurants and shops. If you get a chance stay at this hotel and make sure that if the weather is nice head to the roof top pool as the view is spectacular.

Room Tip: I dont think there would be a bad room in this hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Westport, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012 via mobile

I might have loved The London twenty years ago whenI was young enough to enjoy The Viper Room, but at my age, the location within walking distance of the bars on Sunset is no longer a plus.

The rooms are only"suites" if you have never stayed in a suite. They are really large hotel rooms with a sectional at the end of the bed. The bath put the toilet front and center so your partner had best enjoy your company in the bathroom.

The hotel has some good self awareness because they give you a set of earplugs. They do so because you will need them. The windows are thin. Request a high floor. That may not save you because the hotel is located near a school where screaming as loud as you can for as long as you can must be one of the required courses. I was on a high floor and they woke me up every morning. One other structural aspect is disturbing. When a door slammed anywhere on my floor, it shook the frame of my own door and made a lot of noise.

The restaurant is called "Gordon Ramsey at The London" which is ironic because if you cross examine the staff long enough, you will learn that Gordon has been to the London fewer times than me, and this was my first stay. Still, the food is good and the service is excellent. Perhaps they have seen him on TV and live in fear that he might visit.

Room service is well intentioned but it takes a few trips for them to complete an order. In my case, they brought me a beverage and forgot the ice. When they returned with the ice, I noticed they forgot the dessert.

Breakfast is free and it is good.

The rooftop is the real attraction. The pool and bar are awesome and frequented by some talent, though that talent is not nearly as gorgeous as they believe that they are. The staff is sound. Krista is very good. The staff likes to take breaks. Sometimes, they tell you they are taking a break, sometimes , they do not. That makes for some interesting transitions that are not always graceful.

There are resin bulldogs scattered around the hotel. Apparently, they are a tribute to a real bulldog that once roamed the hotel. The resin bulldog is a pretty good metaphor for The London experience.

Amidst all of this nonsense, The London still manages to deliver exceptional service. The front desk crew is terrific and they never say, "that is not my job." They handle every request with a smile. The front door guys are awesome! They are some of the best in the business. They are efficientand cheerful and they work in tight quarters with a very narrow driveway.Even when you have to wait for a ride, they chat you up and make you feel like they care about your comfort.

Sarah, the concierge, is spectacular. She is resourceful, responsive, creative and very pretty. Reyes, the driver of the hotel courtesy Jaguar, is fantastic and he goes out of his way to be of service.

I will return to The London, not for the location or the suites, but to experience some of the very best service in the hotel industry. Without the remarkable service, The London would just be an average experience.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to The London West Hollywood? Share your experiences!