“One of my favourite hotels in the world- always love staying here!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz West Hollywood

Double Your Points
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“One of my favourite hotels in the world- always love staying here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I keep coming back here pretty much every year and just love the property. Once again, I had a lovely stay in a beautiful modern room with a little alcove to sit down and relax and look out over busy Sunset strip. The location just can't be beaten with a convenient ten minutes walk down the hill ad you're right in the epicenter of "boystown" with all the great gay bars and clubs on Santa Monica Boulevard. As a repeat guest, I also received a lovely little amenity in my room consisting of some fruit and nuts and a bottle of lovely red wine which was contributing parts of its sales to an Aids charity which I totally loved. I also enjoyed the lovely roof top pool from where you can look down into the villas of the rich and famous who live right behind the hotel in the Hollywood Hills. Two little glitches I had with the service this time around, my phone in the room was not working and even though I got promised twice that someone would come to fix it, it never happened. Upon check out, I asked for someone to come up and help me with my heavy luggage and it took very long until someone finally showed up which was a bit disappointing given how fast and reliable all those requests had been taken are of at their sister property in San Diego where I stayed just the night before. Still- I assume they were just busy at the time and the phone repair request somehow slipped through somewhere, I still happily give 5 points and can't wait for my next stay, hopefully in a years time.

Room Tip: The rooms towards the strip (and LA downtown which looks quite impressive at night) are called "...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
I am so pleased that you chose to stay at Andaz West Hollywood again another year and that you enjoyed your visit. It is delightful to know how much you enjoyed the room, amenities and prime location. Please know that your comments about the service inconsistency has been addressed and that we are taking the necessary steps to ensure that future visits will be more synonymous with true Andaz hospitality. We thank you for joining us and look forward to seeing you again!
Lin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Here’s my opinion about Andaz. Let me first be brief – short, sweet, and to the point. I will then describe in detail if anyone cares to read further.
Positive: It is very modern, classy, clean, “crisp and fresh”.
Negative: Noise is a problem --it does not matter whether you face Sunset Blvd or the hills. Bathroom counter was not comfortable to use. Hallway was too dark. Staff was very average except John, who was friendly, helpful, pleasant and enthusiastic.
_______________________________________________________________________
My wife, my daughter and I came back yesterday from LA. We stayed four nights at Andaz after spending the first three nights at Sheraton in Anaheim. After reading everyone else’s reviews about Andaz for the past six months, I couldn’t wait to find out for myself. Now that we have…I don’t see what the big deal is. Most people made it sound exceptional. We decided to leave Anaheim earlier and come to Andaz because we couldn’t wait. It definitely didn’t live up to our expectations. Zee, one of the “hosts” at the front desk, did not make us feel welcome. He really didn’t do anything besides check us in. No enthusiasm or recommendations. He acts sleepy/tired and unfriendly. But really, we blame ourselves for checking in too early. Had we checked in later that day, John would’ve been there. We met him later that afternoon after we already got our room. He was very welcoming, friendly, informative and professional. John deserves 5 stars.

Regarding the actual hotel, we didn’t have a problem with it being modern. We do like modern. It’s just that I’m not crazy about the check-in area (very scattered and lounge/club-like – no clear front desk or concierge area.) Furthermore, the hallway is much too dark. Why does “modern” have to mean “dark”? Is this a nightclub? Also, the floor/walls are thin. We heard people above us playing music with a strong beat all the time. Loud noises were also heard, as though there was construction work going on above our room (#903). At 1 AM Thursday, someone was playing Rihanna’s song, “We found love”. I like the song, but not at 1 in the morning. We purposely planned to come to this hotel during the week instead of the weekend, hoping it would be quieter because noise seemed to be the #1 problem for this hotel based on previous reviews. It turned out weekday and weekend made no difference. The room otherwise was not too bad – clean, neat and modern. The bathroom was most likely designed by the same guy who designed the Grand Hyatt in NYC – not good. Mainly the counter – crowded, small sink, and overall cramped. There’s a shower, no tub – this wasn’t a problem for us though. But the shower didn’t come with a door – only half a glass wall so water splashed everywhere. Once again, why does “modern” have to mean inconvenient? That doesn’t help anything! In the end, I’ll still give Andaz four stars anyway even though I don’t think we’ll go back.

Room Tip: A higher floor facing the hills
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for selecting Andaz West Hollywood for your recent visit to Los Angeles. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback following your stay. Your comments continue to provide us with an opportunity to reevaluate ways in which to improve our guest experience. Our main priority is to provide the highest standards of service and to exceed guest expectations and I apologize that we did not meet these standards on many levels during this occasion. Please be assured that this is not the experience we wish to provide at Andaz. Thank you, once again, for your time and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future to make up for this less than perfect experience.
Leicestershire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in early May 2013. Upon check in we were looked after by Walter who was a top bloke... We asked for a room with a view of the hills. We were given a room on the penthouse floor and the room was brilliant. The view was amazing of the hills.... The bed was really comfortable and you were guaranteed a good nights sleep What we loved about The Andaz was there's free soft drinks all day so you can help yourself in the lobby to water, juice and apples and pastries and then there's free soft drinks and snacks in your room. This is a really lovely touch. Very impressive.. Walter helped us with booking tickets for the attractions and organised the coach to pick us up from outside the hotel... The pool on the roof was stunning and the views breath taking. The hotel is in West Hollywood on famous sunset strip and close to Chateau Marmont. We really loved staying here and would have liked to have stayed for longer. We can't wait to return..

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the lifts and on a high floor with a view of the hills....
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments about our host, Walter. I am thrilled to hear that you were well taken care of and will be sure to pass along your very kind words to him! On behalf of all of us here at Andaz West Hollywood, I am looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at the Andaz and were really impressed. The hotel has a very trendy/elegant look and the service, particularly on arrival, was excellent with staff that were only too happy to help. We had a double room that presented very well and the bedding was extremely comfortable. All aspects of the property were of a high quality and very clean.

The location is great (Chateau Marmont is just around the corner) and West Hollywood the nightlife is very close by.

Wine time in the lobby is between 5 and 7pm and just to top it off ALL items in the mini bar (with the exception of the alcohol) are complimentary! It was the perfect end to a wonderful trip.

Do also take the time to go up to the roof top pool area, the views of LA are brilliant.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay at Andaz West Hollywood for your most recent trip to Los Angeles. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your comfortable accommodations and hotel amenities as well as our proximity to the fantastic attractions that this city has to offer. We can’t wait to welcome you back soon and look forward to providing another great experience for you!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Staff were amazing, check-in was fast, friendly and easy. No annoying paperwork to sign, just your photo ID and Credit Card and your done!

In less than 5mins we had checked-in and had 2 tours booked, all by the one dedicated host; that's what I call world class service! Even a complimentary drink to enjoy on your way to your room.

Use your diamond upgrade certificates you won't regret it! The suite had a unique Hollywood layout, 3 TVs, 2 bathrooms, massive lounge, 2 wardrobes; and a very hip dining table...

The only minor letdown on this hotel is the limited breakfast... Also the coffee is very average (this was the case all over the states) However the staff truly made up for this with amazing personalised service.

Housekeeping staff were very polite and even offered to freshen the room up on our departure day, this was the first time I have encountered that at any hotel. Even with confirmed late checkouts.

If your in Hollywood... There is no other place to stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your wonderful review following your recent visit here at Andaz West Hollywood! I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location! Walk to fun hot spots

Excellent service! Someone was always available to answer questions and I loved the open reception with no counter. Staff came to you!

Pool bar was fun!

Free snacks and beverages in your room.

Better lighting in bathrooms and 2 robes would make this place perfect!!

• Stayed May 2013
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
I am so delighted that you chose to stay at Andaz West Hollywood and that you were well taken care of by our team. On behalf of all of us here at the hotel, I am truly looking forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to LA!
Shropshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Our trip to the west coast began in LA. We had heavily researched where to stay prior to booking and chose the Andaz for its great location on Sunset Blvd and the rock history of some iconic bands that have left their mark here. Story has it that back in the 70's both The Who and The Rolling Stones were staying at the hotel at the same time and had a competition who could throw the contents of their rooms off the balconies the furthest. Needless to say the hotel has since been remodelled without balconies.

When we arrived we were immediately checked in and given a complimentary upgrade which meant we had a city view that included a sitting area which was great for people watching. The room itself was functional and had some nice touches such as soft drinks and snacks that were complimentary. The bed we found to be extremely comfortable and huge! It was holiday weekend when we stayed so the hotel was busy and not all guests are considerate of the noise they make when returning from a night out, so pack some ear plugs.

We ate breakfast on the first day in the restaurant, which was lovely. There is a great selection and the staff were extremely friendly and efficient. We spent a few hours by the pool which was lovely and ordered from the pool menu, as is typical with the US the portions were large so we ordered a starter (humous and pitta) and main (turkey wrap) to share. Both were really tasty.

If you're wondering whether to book we would certainly recommend, great location and very stylish hotel.

Room Tip: High floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the review of your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am so pleased that you appreciated our great location on the Sunset Strip, the rooftop pool and that you were well taken care of by our team. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to West Hollywood!!
Lin

Been to Andaz West Hollywood? Share your experiences!