“Beautiful Room, Great Staff, Lovely Pool......could do with a Hotel Bar” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Andaz West Hollywood

Laugh Your Andaz Off
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersGold level
Evesham, UK
“Beautiful Room, Great Staff, Lovely Pool......could do with a Hotel Bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed at the Andaz at the end of a month long RV tour of California before flying home to England.
Upon arrival staff were welcoming and helpful. We were early so we left our bags and went to get some lunch and the staff called us once our room was ready. When we returned we were delighted to find we'd been upgraded to a Queen Suite. The room was huge and featured great views down Sunset as well as two Bathrooms and 4 TVs (which the kids were very happy about!).
We didn't eat or have breakfast in the Hotel so can't comment on the food. However we did spend some time up at the rooftop pool which was beautiful, had great views out over LA and featured lovely, comfortable loungers and covered sofas.
All in all I'd recommend the Andaz highly. It just misses out on 5-stars as it doesn't have a Hotel Bar. There's a bar up on the roof by the pool but that closes at sunset so if, like me you want somewhere inside the hotel to go and sit with a drink once the kids are in bed you're out of luck. A shame as everything else about the place (including the Saddle Ranch next door) was excellent

Room Tip: Rooms facing out over Sunset and LA have better views but are nosier.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for selecting Andaz West Hollywood for your most recent trip to Los Angeles. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your spacious room, the hotel’s central location and the assistance that was provided to you by our wonderful team! Our sincere apologies that you were unable to experience the restaurant’s bar during the evenings, as I’m sure you would have enjoyed the atmosphere there as well. We look forward to welcoming you all back upon your next visit to the US!
Lin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
Worcester Park
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

Arrived at the Andaz after a long drive and we were welcomed by Walther - "sit down have a drink..." we were checked in on the sofa via an iPad. Walther made every effort to find out what we wanted from our stay in Hollywood and gave us a full run down of the 'home from home' style of the hotel, free drinks (coffee, juices, water, wine etc) he even asked us what sort of room we would like. We asked for a view of the houses on the Hollywood Hills and the room we got was perfect.

Walther sent us a bottle of wine, and a cheese slate with crackers and grapes as we were celebrating our wedding in Vegas, together with a card congratulating us!! This was a lovely touch and much enjoyed. Subsequently we were able to ask Walther anything and nothing was too much trouble - he even located a 'Pub' where we could watch a football game.

We used the rooftop pool and bar several times as the weather was fabulous. No charge for the beds and Cabanas, which was a rare treat after the other hotels we had stayed in. Matt the barman was great company and very good at his job.

We cannot recommend this Hotel and the staff highly enough - it was a wonderful stay and we would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such wonderful feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay! I will be sure to pass along your kind words to Walter and the team. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back upon future visits to Southern California. Congratulations to you both!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed here last year with my partner and had the best holiday to date! Brilliant location, good atmosphere. A great experience staying in the hotel with excellent staff! Efficient check-in service and warm welcome, with a complimentary glass of wine! Big thanks to Walter who went above and beyond his call of duty to ensure our stay was a pleasant one! He is a member of staff we shall not forget. And shall be hoping to see him again.
The rooms were clean and a lovely size, but the bed could have been a little more comfy but still had a good sleep, the rooftop pool with bar is amazing too! Used the Gym facilities which is a must!!
Did not eat in the Hotel Restaurant but shall try it out next time!

Definately will return to this hotel. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so delighted that you chose to stay at Andaz West Hollywood and truly appreciate you taking the time to share your amazing feedback. I will be sure to share your kind words with Walter and on behalf of all of us here at the hotel, I look forward to welcoming you again upon your next visit to West Hollywood!
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've stayed at this place a number of times over the years (earlier as the Hyatt and now as the Andaz), and every time I've stayed there it's seemed like a different hotel--it seems like the place is constantly being redecorated and/or reinvented. The latest version is trendy and cool looking place, and the common areas are interesting and comfortable.

The rooms aren't anything to write home about, though. (Or, at least, my room wasn't--though a colleague was staying at the hotel at the same time, and described his room as being much different from mine, and nicer.) The room was, well, OK, but not great. It was also noisy--not only constant mechanical noise from the nearby elevator every time someone used it, but shouting and party type noise from outside the room very late at night. (Though I think this might have been coming from outside my immediate area--possibly from the parking lot in back or from rooms on another floor.) The rooms could be better insulated against noise. Someone had set the bedside alarm clock to go off at about 5:00 a.m., too, so I was rudely awakened then--in better hotels, the housekeeping staff remembers to check the bedside alarm when they make up the room, to guard against this.

Other than that, the staff is friendly, accomodating, and professional.

On the plus side, the room was clean, there were very nice toiletries and other amenities provided, and guests are invited to consume any or all of the limited number mini-bar items in the rooms for free, except alcholic beverages.

This is not an inexpensive area of course, but the room rates at this place are pretty high, even for this area. I'm not sure it's a good value at this level of quality/comfort.

I'll stay again, most likely, but this wasn't the best experience I've had at this hotel.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a room a long way away from the noisy elevators
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. As a repeat guest, all of your comments are truly valued. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you both back in the not too distant future for you to enjoy a more consistent Andaz experience.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

LA and the Andaz was our final leg of our round the world trip and it did not disapoint. We were booked in for 5 nights and had a clear idea of what we wanted to do whilst here, our check in via our host with his iPad’s was simple and efficient. Our host arranged our trips without any fuss and was helpful and informative; all of the staff done their best to ensure our stay was a memorable one.

We had read a couple of negative reviews about the food in the hotel, we can only speak how we found it, excellent quality produce, cooked well and presented with flair, I don’t know how anyone can say the food is expensive compared to other similar establishments, the mushroom risotto, fillet steak and prawns were excellent nothing was too much trouble, they have an excellent wine list for all budgets.

We had a couple of issues whilst we were staying at the Andaz, things that I will not go into because the staff sorted them out to our satisfaction, credit to the team as there customer service was excellent, I believe in giving people a chance to put things right and often wonder with some of the reviews written whether the hotels etc. even knew the client had a problem!.

The Andaz is in a great location with a couple of really good restaurants and bars within walking distance. It was not warm enough for us to swim but we did sit outside and have a drink a truly relaxing area.

It is a quirky hotel and it won’t be to everyone’s taste, but coming from someone that likes traditional old fashioned hotels I really enjoy my stay and would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again, I understood where they are coming from and where they are going with the concept.

Just remember guys women are guests too! If any criticism watch the masculine décor it can come across a little dark and cold.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your rave review following your recent visit here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. We strive to exceed guests’ expectations and I am so delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed our distinctive check-in process and the service provided to you by our team. On behalf of all of us here at the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to LA!
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

After our long flight from Sydney and suffering the LA traffic, it was such a breath of fresh air entering the lobby of The Andaz West Hollywood. The lobby has a very cool vibe with dim lighting, artwork and modern furniture. The staff were extremely welcoming and very warm and once we were seated we were offered a glass of wine. Check in was simple- its not your traditional check in with a desk, the feel of the lobby is open and it's maintained by staff standing with iPads ready to check you in and answer any additional questions.

After check in we were told where our room was and given our keys however no one offered to take our bags to our room which felt a little weird. Once we arrived in the room we found it to be a little basic, dark and on the small side. Lets just say the way the bathroom is set up is not for two people sharing, especially friends. The basin is tiny and the lighting is extremely dark, plus you have no privacy if you need to go to the bathroom or shower. We also found the room to be a little dirty, with smudges on the mirrors and dusty fixtures.

All in all, i was not really impressed with the rooms, however the staff were great. There is complimentary wifi throughout the hotel and all the non alcoholic drinks in the minibar are complimentary, which is a nice touch.

Even though my room was prepaid through Expedia, after I checked out I noticed the hotel charged me again for my stay. After an email I was reimbursed however because I used a foreign credit card I was charged an additional transactional fee from my credit card, I asked them to reimburse the fee but still have yet to hear a response.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. It is delightful to hear that you felt our staff and the service you received was great; however I am terribly sorry that you experienced inconveniences. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Livingston, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Just spent a couple of days at this hotel. I loved it from the first moment--from being greeted in the lobby to check in via iPad to being offered a cold beverage upon my departure. The snacks are free, the service is impeccable, the view is unrivaled and the aroma in the air is delightful. The rooftop pool was hard to leave!

Room Tip: Choose a high floor overlooking the strip.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for your very kind words regarding your recent stay at Andaz West Hollywood. It is delightful to hear that we exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed our service, the hotel and its amenities. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Lin

Been to Andaz West Hollywood? Share your experiences!