“Hip Hotel on the Hill” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 17 hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersGold level
“Hip Hotel on the Hill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is a Hyatt property but it certainly has more character of a hip boutique hotel. The staff was very attentive and accommodating during check-in and the lobby has comfortable sofas and chairs to sit and enjoy their complimentary coffee or wine service. The location is in a great area to walk to restaurants and shops and close enough to grab a cab to the Melrose area and other attractions. I would recommend staying on the upper floors to avoid hearing street noise as it is an active area of nightlife. The Comedy Store is next door and other restaurants are within steps of the hotel so you risk the experience of hearing crowds and traffic moving about if on a lower floor. With just a short walk to the Chateau Marmont, if you can get in to the lounge or restaurant, you may just encounter a celebrity sighting or two. The rooms are simplistic with a modern edge. Beds are comfortable and the room is spacious. Although there are no balconies, each room extends to an enclosed sunroom to either overlook the hills or the skyline. Our city-view room overlooked Hollywood with vistas of downtown LA and Santa Monica. My only complaint is that the lighting was not optimal for applying make-up, the bathroom had not one towel hook or bar to hang wet towels and the bathroom was on the small side with barely any surface to lay toiletries out. The rooftop pool is a bonus to retreat to one of the cabanas and sunbathe or swim. If you have time, put on your sneakers and go for a hike at Runyon Canyon nearby. It's an incredible climb up the streets to the entrance giving a workout before you even get to the beginning of the trail. You'll love it when you're up there for the views are incredible and its a great way to get in some exercise Overall, this is a great property with top service, with a fine restaurant and bar and very nice rooms. Excellent hotel for the value. I recommend.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room on the higher floors to avoid hearing the busy street noise. Bonus, the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for selecting Andaz West Hollywood for your most recent trip to Los Angeles and for your kind recommendation! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our central location and the service provided to you by our wonderful team! We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon!

1,490 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

It's currently 2:30am as I write this review from my room at the Andaz, unable to sleep for the past 4 hrs because the room is like a sauna. I was just informed by the front desk that "the building is old and there is only one heating unit". That means air is only delivered to one side of the building each night. Something they fail to inform you online or at the front desk. I'd settle for being able to crack open a window, but that isn't possible. The only option given was to bring up a "cooling unit" (aka: a portable desk fan), which is basically throwing around hot air.

This is only one of several gripes I have with this place including: curtains that don't close, open showers lacking a floor strip to contain the water resulting in water leaking into the main room, especially the tiny sink area right outside the bathroom, and cheap "modern" furniture crammed into tiny rooms.

This is a "boutique" hotel, which basically translates into overpriced room rates, extremely overpriced food, and crappy amenities

I read the other negatives reviews on this site and they are all spot on. For proof, just look at the photo someone posted of the 2 eggs and OJ breakfast for ~$80.00.

Don't be fooled by the trendy name, location, or funky lobby. The rooms and service here suck!

• Stayed February 2013
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to bring your feedback to our attention. I am terribly sorry to hear that your visit has been unsatisfactory. Please be assured that your experience is not typical and I truly apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced. If you have a moment, please contact me directly or email my assistant at Olivia.Moore@andaz.com, so that I may have the opportunity to discuss your stay in further detail. I look forward to the opportunity to connecting with you.
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Great location on Sunset Blvd. in the heart of West Hollywood within walking distance of many restaurants and a short drive to Hollywood attractions, hip Melrose shops and the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. We were pleasantly surprised by the outstanding, friendly service offered by every staff member we met. When we arrived, we were greeted at the door by a host instead of having to wait on line at a reception desk.

The room was clean and contemporary, with all-white walls and bathroom and a very comfortable bed. The view of the L.A. skyline and mountains was terrific. The room had a cozy nook with a chaise lounge and small sofa right next to the window, as well as a separate TV, so if one person is watching the TV in the room, another person can watch a different show in the nook!

We checked out the rooftop pool and bar. While it was too cool to sunbath but I imagine the rooftop pool would be a wonderful place to relax in warmer months.

One downside to the location is some street noise, which is to be expected in a city like L.A.. We really didn't hear much traffic except for a fire engine. Another is that the blackout curtain separating the bedroom area from the nook didn't close all the way and let in light from illuminated billboards and other lights across the street.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the service provided to you by our wonderful team. On behalf of all of us here at the hotel, I look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for 4 nights with my son anticipating that being a Hyatt hotel it would be at a reasonably good standard in terms of cleanliness, noise control, room and bathroom size. I walked into the lobby and we were ecountered by a checkin person. That was all ok. The shock beganwhen we entered the hallway going to our room. The hallway was dark and dismal. Carpets stained. We entered into our room and it was small, not to mention the bathroom could not comfortably fit 2 people at a time. So we look outthe window the view is of the strip which was good. however the first night we could hear every noise imaginablefrom outside the hotel to the adjacent rooms. People and men screaming and nect to our room men singing at 2 to 3 in the morning. The next night at 4 in the morning we heard the loud screaming in the hallway outside our room of men and women returning to their rooms. We WERE UNABLE TO SLEEP FOR ALL THE NIGHTS WE WERE THERE. on the 2nd day I did make a complaint to reception and requested to change to a room which wasnt overlooking the strip in the hjope of some quietness. The walls are not soundproof and we could hear all the slamming of doors. Noisy loud people returning at all hours of the night to their rooms laughing, singing and talking at the top of their lungs without any considereation for others trying to get some rest.My 12 year old son had developed the flu and very ill during this time and I needed the quietness. I MUST SAY THE ROOM SERVICES WAS GOOD. RECEPTION PEOPLE WERE NOT AS POLITE AS THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN. WILL NEVER STAY

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for selecting Andaz West Hollywood for your recent visit to Southern California. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the room service during your stay, however I am terribly sorry that you were disturbed by noise surrounding your accommodation. Please accept my sincere apologies for this inconvenience. At Andaz, we are committed to providing the highest standards of service and to exceeding guest expectations. I apologize that your rest was disrupted. Please be assured that I have taken the necessary measures to ensure that this does not reoccur. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to make up for this less than perfect experience.
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel leaves a lot to be desired. First of all, they are trying way to hard to be overly 'modern' and 'new age'. The decor is awful! The 'modern' shower has no door and you will be quite cold while showering. There is no way to fully close the black out curtain, so falling asleep/staying asleep here is quite difficult as there are bright neon lights flashing 24/7 across the street on the flashing billboards. The bathroom amenities were cheesy, as well (no q tips, no shower cap, etc). The $26 buffet breakfast was a huge disappointment (plastic-y eggs that had been sitting under a heat lamp for an extended period of time, etc). I will admit that the chocolate chip cookies that I ordered from room service were really, really delicious; although room service took almost an hour (for sandwiches and cookies...ridiculous). I travel to LA frequently and will definitely not be staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Lin S, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
I am terribly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at all. I apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. At Andaz we are committed to serve every guest beyond expectations and to know that we did not satisfy you at all is a big disappointment. Hopefully one day we can welcome you back to create an experience more consistent with true Andaz hospitality.
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

This place is great, in the heart of LA, the staff are efficient and polite, the rooms are spacious and very clean.

The rooftop pool has a really beautiful view of the city and the mountains behind and has these fantastic 'pods' that shield you from the wind like a cocoon whist still giving you the amazing view.

Mini bar has free non alcoholic beverages and snacks included and wifi is also included in the price.

Around the hotel is the across the rd from the House of Blues and within walking distance of the Whiskey a Go Go, The Viper Room, The Roxy and heaps of restaurants. I even saw Gavin Rossdale crossing the road.

It's only my first day, tomorrow I get on the Hop on Hop off bus tour which coincidentally has a stop almost right outside the Andaz at the Comedy Store! Just another reason to live this place!

• Stayed February 2013
I am so pleased that you chose to stay at Andaz West Hollywood and am delighted to know how much you enjoyed all of our amenities here at the hotel, particularly our complimentary guestroom treats and our central location. Thank you for all of your wonderful comments. We look welcoming you back upon your next visit to California!
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed at Andaz during a very busy weekend in LA. We were attracted by the location, the overall look of the hotel, the TripAdvisor reviews as well as the rates. Things started off on the wrong foot when, after a speedy check, a key-less key did not work and when it did we found that the room was already occupied!

A very mortified front desk member quickly got us situated in another room and from then on our stay couldn't have been nicer. The manager was truly embarrassed and made a generous accommodation for the inconvenience. The next day the front desk person called to check in with us just to be sure that all was OK, a true measure of wanting to please.

Although the room was a basic double-queen, it was large, comfortable, nicely furnished and even had a small sitting area that overlooked LA (called a patio) that was separated from the room by a heavy curtain. This was a very nice feature. The beds and bedding were extremely comfortable and an invisible housekeeping staff kept the room sparkling. The bathroom was contemporary with a wonderful enclosed glass shower.

All members of the staff went out of their way to accommodate us and other guests. They are polite, attentive, eager to please, sincere and invisible until you need them. This goes for the manager, front desk, wait staff and valet!

The only negatives that we found had more to do with LA and Sunset Blvd. than with the hotel but it is a busy area with a tight entrance for cars.

I highly recommend Andaz if you are staying in LA.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am so delighted that you enjoyed your accommodation as well as the service provided to you by our wonderful team. I am, however, terribly sorry that you were inconvenienced upon check in. Please know that I am looking into this, as we always want to make sure that our guests’ stay is pleasant and satisfying. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Lin

Been to Andaz West Hollywood? Share your experiences!