“Great rooms with views and amazing staff” 4 of 5 stars

Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #3 of 17 hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Great rooms with views and amazing staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights after our travel agent recommended this hotel. It was a 5* and therefore the most expensive hotel we stayed in during our California road trip. Our room was huge with amazing views of LA (6th floor), the staff were so friendly and helpful, Brad our host was great and in particular Walter who gave us advice on Universal and even booked it online for us. They also arranged sightseeing trips like the star homes tour. The hotel was in a great location, easy to drive to all the sights, with many things within walking distance too.
The negative we found was that the rooftop pool desk was a lot smaller than expected, resulted in feeling very cramped. There were only 4 enclosed beds that would offer some privacy, but seems that once someone got those, they held on to them all day, so no chance getting one. As we were more interested in exploring vs lazing by the pool this was not an issue. The pool was also quite small and taken over by a few kids screaming and splashing around. The cocktails were also very expensive, so after trying it on the first afternoon when we arrived, we didn't bother to go up there again. Although it was worth going up once if only for the views and watching the sun set over LA.
The parking was also very expensive at $32 + tax per night. Breakfast was also quite expensive at $25/person per day, which we avoided as there are plenty of places near by that are much cheaper for breakfast, including a Starbucks just to the left of the main entrance. Couldn't avoid the parking fees, but could avoid paying a fortune for breakfast as well!
We would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend it for anyone looking for some luxury and rooms with views, as well as the tour recommendations and booking service and all the other great advice from the staff that is provided.

Room Tip: Try for a room in the higher floors to get the views!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
I am so delighted to have the opportunity to receive your lovely review following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am happy to hear that you were well looked after by our wonderful team and that you thoroughly enjoyed your spacious accommodation! On behalf of all of us here at the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you and your husband back upon your next visit to California!

1,466 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here over the weekend because we were catching a show at the Pantages. It's a very Plain Jane hotel. Apparently it has a lot of history because it originally was a Hyatt and all the rock and rollers have stayed and partied here. However, this hotel now is dead after 10pm. There's a bar that stays open until 12pm. Other than that, you gotta get out for any night life. Big disappointment since we were looking forward to having drinks and lounging at their "one of four rooftop pools in Los Angeles". Oh well.

Upon checking in, we asked for a king bed and the only king room they could accommodate was a handicap-friendly room. We thought it would be fine but had to request a room change after being there for 5 minutes. It felt like a hospital room so we settled for a queen room that did not feel much better. The decor is…it's supposed to look like it's from the 80s? It's very retro and bland. No color. Very simple and basic. Like I said, institution like. We've stayed at the Andaz in San Diego and that was fabulous. This place had an odd feel to it. Eerie almost.

The staff was great. Our concierge checked us in and gave us a tour of the room to make sure there weren't problems. Valet had a hard time understanding English and messed up our name, but they were very kind. Overall, par service.

Don't stay here if you want to watch a show at the Pantages. The W Hotel is right across the street from the theatre and provides ample post-show night life. This hotel had a lot of foreigners and requires transportation if you want to go anywhere. 3 miles on Sunset or Hollywood Blvd equates to nearly 30 minutes.

It's a decent hotel depending on what you need. Not right for us on this particular weekend though. And $32/night for valet is a huge turn off.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the review of your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am pleased that you appreciated the service provided to you by our team however I am sorry that you did not find your room to be as comfortable as it should be. Please know that I am looking into this, as we always want to make sure that our guests’ stay is pleasant and satisfying. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Moraga, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Andaz is in a great location to get places in Hollywood and Beverly Hills easily. $22 valet parking per day but it is fast, friendly, and efficient. The hotel is sleek, contemporary, and very comfortable with great wifi (free) and the online checkin and checkout works well. The staff is what really differentiates this hotel from other trendy hotels in LA - they are friendly, efficient, knowledgeable, and with "NO ATTITUDE". Very refreshing and welcome. We loved the free non-alcoholic drinks and snacks and if you want a quiet room, just ask to be on the residential side of the hotel - not the Sunset Blvd. side. The only negative I could come up with is that the carpeting in our room needed to be replaced - it was a bit shabby and dirty. I highly recommend this property for anyone.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are on the residential side of the hotel, not Sunset Blvd.!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am so pleased that you enjoyed our complimentary amenities, your accommodation and the level of service that our team provided you. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to all! On behalf of all of us here at the hotel, we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Beautiful. Convenient. Nice toiletries. Nice robe. I would go back in a minute!!! I The valet was extremely helpful and had my car waiting for me as I requested. I was also greeted at the door via IPAD which was interesting and fun. I wish I had longer to stay and explore this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am so delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again, hopefully in the not too distant future.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The location of this hotel is amazing. I have read a lot of reviews and when I first entered the lobby, I just thought it was beyond beautiful. Latest technology, there is no front desk but you get checked in by a staff member. The service was really great. But, once I entered the room, I was a bit disappointed. My first, initial thought was ..wow, it looks like a hospital room. It is VERY VERY modern, very understated, just white walls, tv, a table. The only art we had in the room was Jimmy Hendrix album or 2. The bed was amazing. The shower was a bit small, there was half of the door sort of missing, and the water was going all over the floor. The sink was very small, almost felt like the room was literally designed for one person. The pool area was gorgeous, although it was closed due to cold weather. They had lemonade by the pool, which was a nice touch. In the room, all non alcoholic beverages and snacks were free of charge. Every morning, in the lobby there was free coffee and cookies.
Overall, beautiful hotel, I'm just not sure if I would ever pay that money to stay there because I prefer more 'home' vibe room design than just plane white walls.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I’m delighted to hear that you were well taken care of by our team and that you were able to enjoy most of the hotel’s amenities. All of your comments are truly valued and we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Perhaps I had high expectations, but I was a bit underwhelmed with my stay. Check-in was weird. As I pulled up, a staff member came up to me with an iPad and asked if I wanted to check in standing or sitting. Um, standing? He asked if I wanted wine or water. I then asked him to confirm the benefits I was receiving on my reservation. He told me he couldn’t tell on the iPad, and had to go to a real computer to figure that out. Seems like they shouldn’t be using iPads if they can’t support this function. Anyway, he confirmed I had breakfast and a $25 food and dining credit. I figured everything else was on there and if it wasn’t, I could fight at checkout, and made my way to the room.

The room itself was fine, but nothing particularly luxurious. Although the room was large, it had a lot of empty space, both on the floor and on the walls. Instead of art work, there were some cutesy phrases stenciled on the walls and windows. Although I was on a high floor, the view was really of the parking lot, with a not-particularly-exciting view of the Hollywood Hills. There was a nice amenity awaiting me of fruit, cheese, crackers, and a bottle of red wine, though I’m not sure if it was because of my Visa “VIP” status or my Hyatt Platinum status or both. The minibar was stocked with a juice, various sodas, bottled water, and two iced teas, and there was trail mix and pop chips on the dresser.

I had a terrible experience trying to have breakfast, which was included in my stay, as I was forced to sit at the bar (literally, they were going to sit me at a table and then decided i couldn't since I was only one person) with dirty dishes stacked in front of me, with a view of the back kitchen, with waiters carrying hot beverages squeezing past me every three minutes.
As for the rest of the stay, it was acceptable with some minor blips. The gym was great, looking right out onto Sunset Boulevard. At check-in, I was asked if a 2pm checkout was okay, and I said yes. But of course, right before I hopped into the shower at 1:30, there was a knock on the door asking me when I intended to check out. Checkout itself was fine, although there were no charges beyond my room rate, so I’ll never know what actually happened with the breakfast- just that my $25 credit plus the free breakfast covered it at all. Then the last weird thing was when i asked if i could store my luggage in my car while I was at breakfast. I was told to walk around back, past stacked pallets and dumpsters, ask the valet shed for my key, find my car in the valet lot, and do whatever I wanted. Um, ok.

The Andaz bills itself as a luxury hotel. In reality, it wasn’t.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. At Andaz, we are committed to serving every guest beyond expectations and to know that we did not accomplish this with you is very disappointing. Please be assured that I will personally investigate the issues you addressed. Hopefully one day we can welcome you back to create an experience more consistent with the Andaz true hospitality.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Everything about this hotel is perfect except parking price, but that's LA. You get free non alcoholic drinks and snacks in your room. The hotel is legendary if you're interested in rock n roll history. It's next door to the legendary comedy store and there are a lot of restaurants that are within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2012
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience of your recent stay at Andaz West Hollywood. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again, hopefully in the not too distant future.