“andaz: home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #3 of 17 hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersGold level
Paris, France
“andaz: home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

First time we stayed at Andaz, and not the last time! We came in for one night and we have been thrilled by our short stay at this unique hotel, well situated. The experience starts with the check-in, since you feel welcome home by your hosts: you sit in their sofa, they propose drinks and you hand over your passport cc etc. Everything is done in a smooth and friendly fashion. A comfortable room with modern and contemporary furniture awaits you. Free minibar.
We suffered from noisy neighbours when we return to our room after a late evening. I called the reception: it took notime before they sent someone to ask our neighbours to calm down.
The next morning, whilst checking out, as I mentioned the incident, I was immediately proposed a discount on my room of 20%+! A real customer-focused attention to service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking downtown Los Angeles.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review about your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service that was provided to you by our team, as well as our unique amenities.We truly look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Los Angeles!

1,484 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
Stockbridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

The coffee in the morning is nice but the breakfast is expensive. The free wine in the afternoon is good. The location here is ok for getting to some of the interesting places. On the whole I would recommend the Andaz.Your host is helpful and service is very good.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood! We truly appreciate you sharing your comments and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future!
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Best feature of this hotel is service. First when we get there, I was a little disappointed. Paying around $350 per night, one would expect something surprising, something to write home about. Well, the lobby is really nice and they gave as the room on the penthouse floor, but the room itself looked like some arbitrary motel. Doors just plain white and not beautiful at all, a bit even like out of place, carpet very simple and grey, nothing really special. The view was showing some nice mountains, but also parking lot. On one of the windows some clever copywriter had written "you would be surprised to know how much it costs to look this cheap". How ironic. As it really did look cheap and from my opinion those doors and carpet just can't cost a fortune or buyer wasn't simply knowing what he or she was doing.
Anyways also for practical matter, air con was not working properly. As weather was quite cold outside (60 F), we tried to have the room temperature bit warmer, but it just kept blowing cold air no matter how high we set the temperature. When I called to complain they brought as a heater but it didn't help much.
Next morning when we went downstairs to eat breakfast that we had included in our package, they still brought as a bill not explaining good enough that this was just for signing matter and reading from TA that some people had similar issues with their breakfast charges, it did not seem anymore such a great decision to choose this hotel. Things were really adding up and it seemed like I really had to start complaining to someone about all the experiences.
At this point I really have to say hotel manager Adam and receptionist Eduardo were really great, moving us to other room with view to other side (window saying "no matter where you go, there you are" :)) and more space in it. Also Eduardo was helping us to find a public tennis court nearby where we could play tennis free of charge. Well, I have to say first they did not have list ready for possible partners, so take that into account when reading amenities from Orbitz site, that yes they are very willing to help you organize anything asked but I guess they do not have some set deals with partners for listed sport activities.
Still overall, I guess I have to say I tend more to like this place, so if you can get great rate to stay over there, then do it. But if you are paying more than $300 perhaps its wise to think of staying somewhere else than West Hollywood instead, as I think for this money, you probably also don't get much better deal in that neighborhood.

Room Tip: Request Sunset Boulevard view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for selecting Andaz West Hollywood for your most recent visit to California! I am so pleased to hear that you were well taken care of by our team however I am terribly sorry that you found your experience to be spotty. Please be assured that I will investigate your comments personally. On behalf of all of us here, we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the andaz, and we were far from impressed. After reading such great reviews we had very high hopes. The initial check in service seemed prompt and different, but everything went downhill from there. Our room was on a low floor directly inline with the car park, so we had to keep the drapes shut most of our stay. We decided to ask the staff if they had any availability elsewhere as it was a romantic trip away. They kindly said they'd try and after about 3 hrs and not hearing anything, my partner called them again and the staff member who spoke to him was very rude and said "you need to be patient." we found this highly offensive and eventually were moved to a higher floor.

All snacks and non alcoholic beverages are free, although instead of refilling this when they clean your room, a seperate person comes and rudely opened our door yelling out whilst we were both in the process of dressing. On another occasion we returned to our room after doing a sightseeing tour and after leaving at 830am and returning at 4pm, we find the maid was just about to begin cleaning our room. We were not impressed as we had only 20 minutes to stop over before heading out again.

The RH restaurant is incredibly overpriced. Thankfully we had it included, but for those that don't it will set you back $75 for 2 people if you choose the buffet with limited options. They do have free wine at the bar between 5 and 7 which is a good idea.

Lastly, we booked a Disneyland day tour for our final day in LA. The pickup guy arrived at the hotel to pick up other people, and said we were not on the list and no one had booked us in. Eventually he said he could drop off at the ticket place and we could try get on a bus if it wasn't sold out. Thankfully they squeezed us on and took a larger bus. We were most upset at the hotel girl who checked us in as she assured us it was all organized and confirmed. If the hotel hadn't booked other people we would have missed the tour altogether.

All in all the hotel is in a great location, and could be a much nicer hotel than what we experienced. The valet staff need more instruction, as we often had to walk out past them and grab a cab as they have no interest in hailing one for you. The hotel prides themselves on being a boutique hotel, but the people in the lobby Are more interested in checking people in, than actually assisting the people who want directions to good restaurants etc.

Would stay elsewhere if had time again and was disappointed this was the last hotel we stayed before flying home.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor AWAY from the elevators
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am terribly sorry to hear that you and your boyfriend did not thoroughly enjoy your visit. I truly apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced. At Andaz, we strive to satisfy every guest and I am sorry that we were not able to do so on this occasion. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you both back in the not too distant future for you to enjoy a more consistent Andaz experience.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The neighborhood is “lively” so I chose a high floor with a view of the Hollywood Hills as we prefer peace at night. (The hotel is adjacent to The Comedy Store.) This is a great location as it is easy access to many parts of Los Angeles. The room was large and clean. Even though I am more accustomed to traditional style I enjoyed the relaxing shades of grey and the modern style. The bathroom had small white and grey marble tile that I will remember for my own future remodeling option. There was a full length mirror and plenty of closet space and desk space in the room. The counter space in the bathroom was very small and we had to adapt. I loved that there was a “step” in the shower where we ladies can place a foot so we can easily shave our legs—a rare luxury! The hotel had complimentary Wi-Fi -- always a treat. The TV was large and new. It would be nice to have a few more electrical outlets in the room but it was adequate.
Hotel check-in was unorthodox. They don’t use a traditional front desk system, but the attendants approach the guests with iPads to check them in. The same attendant also brought the luggage up to the room. The staff was always friendly and helpful. When the hotel had elevator issues they tried to fix them quickly and made accommodations for guests to also use the service elevator.
The biggest problem that I had in the five days that I stayed there is there is no coffeemaker in the room. The attendant said there is coffee in the lobby in the morning each day, but on two of the days when I got dressed and went down for coffee they were totally out. Not good for serious morning coffee drinkers. There is a Starbucks a few doors down in case of such emergencies. If you like your coffee while getting ready for your day, good luck. On the up side, the room had the most comfortable chair and ottoman in the corner of the room. I still wonder who manufactured the pieces as I want them! And, it is mandatory to go up to the pool on the roof, even if it is just to look. It is beautiful there with cabanas, plants and lounge chairs. The view of L.A. is breathtaking.
Lastly, I do love the rock-and-roll history of the Andaz, also known as the “Riot Hyatt”. The storied building has the ghosts of music history in the halls. The restaurant downstairs is even mysteriously called “RH”.

Room Tip: If you like quiet I suggest a high floor overlooking the hills.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review about your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service that was provided to you by our team, as well as our central location on the Sunset Strip. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to all for making your stay so memorable. We truly look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Los Angeles!
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Location:
The hotel is centrally located and easy to walk to touristy areas as well as take a quick cab to other cool fun places.

Checking in:
Take the drink offer, it is going to be a while since they don't have a front desk. The staff is very friendly and gave us some great recommendations for dinners around the area that locals would eat at.

Room:
The room was beautiful and had a great view. Connecting to the internet was a little trickier that I would have liked, but in the end it worked out. I really loved how all the non alcoholic drinks and snacks were complimentary.

Roof top pool was spectacular and the views were worth the trek up to the top. I only wish it was open longer. I did not get a chance to check out the restaurant or exercise room.

Only one issue really with this hotel, which was the wakeup call. For some reason, rather than calling my room, or letting me know the ringer was off if they had in fact tried, they would bang on my door and even opened it up and even used a key card to come in my room and call out my name. Sorry, but I am a single woman and never want to wake up to a strange man in my room calling out my name. Aside from all of that I would have given 4 or 5 stars, but I just find this inappropriate rather than a personal touch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
philipdailey, General Manager at Andaz West Hollywood, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you so much for your review following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. I am pleased that you appreciated our central location on the world famous Sunset Strip and thoroughly enjoyed your visit. I am, however, terribly sorry that you were inconvenienced on one occasion during your stay. Please know that I am looking into this, as we always want to make sure that our guests’ stay is pleasant and satisfying. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future!
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in October 2012. The staff, while friendly enough, seem to focus a little too much on their own cool rather than on an efficient service. The way that the lobby is set up doesn't help things here (while I was using the internet station in the lobby - which looks like a reception desk more than the actual reception desk - other guests who thought I was working there approached me with inquries 3 times within 10 minutes, which felt a bit weird). Valet parking is expensive but the only option; no complaints about the service in that regard, as our car was always ready when we needed it. Our room was nice and spacious enough; bathrooms could be bigger though. Location is OK - there are a few restaurants and bars in proximity, but expect to drive or take a cab to wherever you need to go (which holds for most places in LA though, I guess).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your feedback following your recent stay here at Andaz West Hollywood. All of your comments are appreciated and we hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back upon your next visit to Los Angeles.
Philip

Been to Andaz West Hollywood? Share your experiences!