“Not a good idea .” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
“Not a good idea .”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Was booked in another hotel for 3 days in march after our trip to Vegas . Decided t cancel the other more expensive hotel as we had I feel overspent in Vegas so decided to save a few bucks .oh
" the best laid plans" Decide that the best western was a good idea as it was at the same location as the previous hotel and very positive reviews on trip advisor .
First there was no one for our luggage ,! We had 4 large suitcases . Then the first room was underground with a view of a cement wall . It had musty odour no natural light and the ceiling I could touch without over stretching my arm . I'm no giant at 5"11 ! . I'm nit sure they should be selling that room to anyone . We went upstairs and asked for a change of room . They agreed for and upgrade fro about I think 30 USD more . I immediately agreed . However that although still and improvement was still musty with very low ceilings . The only highlight was them allowing our good friends at bookings .com to allow us t leave early . Checked out the next morning and got he Beverly Hilton for only 7 USD a day more . Trust me that was an improvement .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SunsetPlaza8400, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you so much for your review regarding the Sunset Plaza. As you noted, the hotel is nestled in between the many attractions of Hollywood and Beverly Hills. I personally went to measure the ceiling heights of our rooms and confirmed they meet the requirement of at least 8 feet high. Would you please contact me so I can look into this further as I don't have any record of you staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We can recommend this hotel for it's friendly service and for it's prime location. In particular we can report the following:
1. We arrived early but they gave us an upgrade into another room immediately.
2. Staff were instantly responsive to any request: even after-hours requests were answered immediately.
3. Free Wi-fi was reliable and easy to use.
4. Hot buffet breakfast is more than adequate: the cook even offered me hot waffles.
5. In resolving problems with our tours and shuttles, the desk clerks were always responsive and made many phone calls on our behalf.
6. There is a taxi rank right outside the hotel.
7. A taxi ride to Hollywood and Vine is less than $20 US.
8. You can walk to the best part of 'The Strip' (the Plaza) in about 10 minutes.
9. There is a steakhouse, a burger bar and Starbucks right across the road and many eating places within walking distance.

Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel to stay at in West Hollywood. We had a third floor room facing the pool. The room was spacious and really nice. The beds were so comfortable. Having two fifteen year old boys with me, I appreciated the breakfast that came with our stay. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Pool view is really nice.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Loved the room here - it was very spacious and due to the little kitchen corner, we were able to have a take-away during one of the evenings. Clean room, everything worked well and the hotel was quiet so it was easy to get a good night's sleep here. Breakfast was quite basic, but perfectly enough. Good location as well - love staying at this bit of Sunset!

Room Tip: Our room was facing the back of other buildings, including one of the really popular bars. There wer...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Des Moines, IA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We really liked most things about this hotel. Here's what we liked:
- rooms are very large. Nice for a family of four.
- Fridge in room which came in very handy
- Great location and easy to get in and out for days of sight seeing. We were able to walk to a convenience store, bars/restaurants and some Jim Morrison tourist sites (Alta Cienga Motel, Barney's Beanery, etc.)
- Pool area was lovely and relaxing after seeing busy Hollywood sites
- Parking price reasonable $16 per night
- Breakfast was the same everyday, but met our needs
- Very comfy beds

Things we didn't like:
- Would have really liked a hot tub to use on cool LA nights. We were really disappointed that there wasn't one
- Exhaust in bathroom was non existent plus there wasn't a mirror anywhere else in the room, so it made it challenging for a family of 4 to get ready in the morning. If they would move the mirror from inside the bathroom door to outside that old help. We just took shifts using bathroom and going to breakfast as you had to prop the bathroom door open to be able to use the mirror.

We would say here again. Good price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed over spring break weekend. 2adults & 2 kids. The room was big, spacious and clean. We loved it. the beds were very comfy, but the pillows were a bit too high. no big deal, because the room was great.
There was one gentleman at the check in desk in the morning that was not very friendly, but the rest of the staff were very nice.
The hotel is centrally located. There were restaurants and bars nearby, not to mention very safe.
There was also breakfast included.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone. Top marks!

Room Tip: Some rooms open to the pool. This may be noisy when people are there. I recommend avoiding certain r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Northern California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This Best Western Sunset Plaza Hotel is located on Sunset Blvd in a heavily congested area with absolutely no parking place to pull into when registering. The curb in front of the hotel is marked red and when we arrived at 7:30 on a Saturday evening there were 3 taxis and a large bus taking up the red zone. My husband drove around the block where he found the underground parking and no assistant giving any instructions or directions. He parked our vehicle and found his way up an elevator to the front desk where I was waiting for him. He had let me out at the curb to check in but had to move on or be run over! The desk clerk (Julio) did not greet me with a smile or look up when I told him we were checking in, instead he merely said, “I’ll need a credit card”. He made no effort to make small talk or to offer a smile and after asking a few questions he handed me a card and asked that I fill it out (information on our vehicle). He gave me two room keys and told me our room was on the bottom floor and pointed to the elevator. He made no offer of telling us where breakfast was served or the time. The room was nice and the courtyard was beautiful with many booganvillias and geraniums in full bloom. We found the bed comfortable and the bathroom was clean with all the necessary amenities. The first floor is supposed to be totally non-smoking but I woke up more than once with the smell of cigarette smoke coming through the air register. Every time someone would walk across the floor (above us) you could hear the floors squeaking and the people next to us turned on their TV at 5:30 AM turning the volume up to the threshold of pain!! Needless to say we didn’t sleep well. Breakfast was adequate but there was no fruit of any sort put out whether it be fresh or canned and the breakfast room was very crowded with no place to sit so we ended up taking food back to our room. When I got home and checked our credit card charges on line I found this hotel had charged us for an additional night. I talked to them and they assured me that I had been issued a credit but 3 days later it has not showed up. For all of the above reasons I am only giving them 2 stars even though the room was quite nice.

Room Tip: Bottom Floor is non-smoking but the smell of smoke comes through the air register
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SunsetPlaza8400, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
The hotel Registration Zone is located directly in front of the hotel which was occupied by the Tour bus while a group unloaded. Our guests are also welcomed to go directly to our underground parking lot whose entrance is located behind the hotel as your savvy, well-traveled husband found. Thank you again for your helpful comments and I hope we will have any opportunity of accommodating you again at the Sunset Plaza.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Sunset Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!