“This is the place!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Fusion
Los Angeles, California
“This is the place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I'm a "Round-Eye" who lived in Tokyo for three years and ate weekly at my favorite Roppongi sushi restaurant, Fukusushi, which was once rated "Best Sushi in the World." I've lived the past 30 years in Los Angeles and am always on the hunt for an "even better" sushi place. Ajisai is my hands-down West Hollywood favorite. It's not Urasawa but neither is it $500 per person. Chef Shoei buys delicious fish daily from the downtown market. There's not a huge selection, but what he's got is great. It's intimate, has a friendly and attentive staff, and won't break the bank. Once you become a regular, Shoei might even purchase special treats for you at the fish market. Conveniently, it's open on Mondays when many sushi places are closed.

Nobody's perfect, but Ajisai is perfect enough for me. I saw one very negative comment on Yelp, but in thinking about it, I'm sure the reviewer was thinking of a place a block down the street.

Try Shoei's "aji" (Spanish Mackerel); it doesn't get any better. For sushi wimps, they also have tasty cooked dishes.

Hey, if you don't like it, I'll eat it!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Los Angeles, California
“Terrible Sushi”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

We had spicy tuna roll and spicy scallops. They were not spicy. We asked for some hot chili sauce that made it better but it didn't make the meal as good as it should have been. The sushi had a strange bitter taste to it. Back home we have sushi about every second week and it tastes great every time. I will remember not to go back to this restaurant. We paid and left in the middle of the meal and went to another restaurant.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Palm Springs, California
“Perfect boutique sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

The menu is somewhat variable because the owner generally serves only what he bought fresh that morning.

Stick with nigiri or sashimi; the rolls are good, but not as good. The unagi and Ponzu sauces are excellent. Toro is rarely to be had.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, CA
“Best Sushi East of Santa Monica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

When we moved out of Santa Monica I was so depressed to move away from sushi king. My husband and I tried so many sushi places, but every place diappointed us. Finally a friend took us to Ajisai and we've been going at least two times a month for the last 2.5 years.

It is a small neighborhood joint and after a while you see that there are devoted regulars everytime you go. The sushi is prepared by the owner Shoei. He makes it a point to learn about his customers and has very high standards. He also makes some creative rolls unique to his restaurant.

We don't live terribly close but it is always worth the drive. The only downside is the parking. There is a lot next to the restaurant but they charge like $7. We find parking a few streets away and enjoy a quick walk in our perfect LA weather.

We went to Katsuya Hollywood the other night and the whole time we said that it wasn't as good as Ajisai and so much more expensive. Ajisai doesn't have the P. Stark design or the fancy cocktails - just great food with fantastic service.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“good but pricy - even at...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2008

good but pricy - even at lunch