“Budget and basic... you get what you pay for” 4 of 5 stars

You added Banana Bungalow West Hollywood to your Saves list
Banana Bungalow West Hollywood
1.0 of 5 Hostel   |   603 N. Fairfax Ave., West Hollywood, CA 90036   |
Auckland
“Budget and basic... you get what you pay for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

I was travelling in a group of four, two couples, and our budget was pretty tight but we wanted to stay in private rooms. After massive amounts of research, we booked with the Banana Bungalow because the reviews were okay, the price was great and the location was pretty good too.

We arrived and were reasonably satisfied. The rooms and bathrooms were clean which was the most important thing in our minds. We were there four nights and two of the four we were woken up by loud people or road noise but we expected that, this is a hostel after all.

We didn't eat breakfast or dinner there, we preferred to get out and see the city but we did book the Disneyland and Universal Studio tours and it was great... nothing like door-to-door service.

If we had paid more for our rooms, we may have been more disgruntled with the interrupted sleep but you get what you pay for.

• Liked — Location was good, price was better.
  • Disliked — Occasional disrupted sleep but hey, this is a hostel!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2008

I had planned to stay at this hostel as I knew nobody in LA. After researching different hostels this one seemed to be alright. I read some reviews on TA that had warned against staying here, but figured that I'm sure the issues were just one off's...

WELL, on arrival, I was sent to wait in a corner whilst the girls at the check in desk gossiped to one another and had a general catch up chat and a laugh. When the girl was finally ready to speak to me, my reservation was lost. When it was found it was all Wrong! I had been put into a room to bunk with complete strangers. I know that many people choose to travel like this, however I had selected a private room for a reason.

There was no apology given just a basic "this is all we've got". I decided to find somewhere else to stay, and was assured I would not be charged for not staying as it was their stuff up.

So as I checked my credit card statement, I was furious to discover that they have still charged me for all the nights I was meant to stay. I have tried numerous times to reach them by email, however noone has bothered to get back to me.

I guess it is just a lesson learned. Maybe it was a blessing in disguies as the place was a run down dump anyway.

DON'T STAY HERE!

• Liked — The feeling of relief I got when i left!!
  • Disliked — That it is run by incapable people with a lack of skills
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2008

We arrived at the Banana Bungalow Hostel early in the morning, when we walked through the front door we first of all went to reception, we did not get a friendly greeting, and when we asked about Parking Permits, Luggage etc the Receptionist told us she had things to do and we had to wait to speak to her.....and then she carried on shuffling her bits of paper and after about 20mins we had to approach her again!
Our room was backing onto a garden area where other guests were staying up until late drinking and playing loud music, so sleeping was a little difficult........plus our front door to our room randomly kept flying open throughout the night!
In the morning, we had a free breakfast of basically, bread for toast and cereal, for some reason it took 3 girls (dressed in nothing but there little shorts and pyjamas tops) to serve the breakfast, and they were either sat on the worktops using their mobile phones or parading around like guests.....Inappropriate to say the least.
This place was fine for somewhere to sleep but I wouldn't reccomend staying there unless your desperate and the reception staff are rude and can't be bothered......

• Liked — The Nights Sleep
  • Disliked — The Staffs friendliness
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

Banana Bungalow West Hollywood was my first Hostel experience, and it was absolutely fantastic!!! I was a little leery when we first decided to stay in a hostel, but it turned out to be one of the best travel experiences that I've had!!
The staff there are super friendly and very helpful!! The free breakfast and dinner were simple, but very good... great for those on a budget! I really liked how the 3 different hostels (the Vibe and Orbit) all got together in the evenings for dinner and entertainment (clubbing or kareoke..), it's a great way to meet people. The organized tours were great as well, we did the L.A tour, but there was also Disneyland and Universal Studios. It was great to not have to worry about organizing everything yourself!!
The hostel itself was quite nice. We stayed in a private room, which I think was actually cleaner than some higher priced hotels that I've stayed in! TV, fridge, private bath, it was great!! I don't have anything bad to say about my experience here and Iwould recommend it to anyone!!!

• Liked — absolutely everything!!!
  • Disliked — the pillows weren't the greatest... underground parking was a little tight
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
stetten
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

this hostel is just amazing!!!
everything you need you find here, and most of them for free...

I LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2008
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2008

It s the best place in los Angeles....
The best location, the staff is very nice and helpful...You have the choice of many activities, the breakfast and dinner free !!!!

I really recommand to go there,it s awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed May 2008
BustaFun
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

Oh my God, this place isn't your regular hostel.
Let alone the fact the rooms stunned me by their great vibes and cleanness, the personnel is amazing. I have met the best international people in the world.
Free breakfast, free dinners (delicious ones!), I barely spent money on food.
It is non stop fun, the karaoke nights were the best.
Oh and you also get the best City Tour and guides.
Boogie is one of a kind, he will keep you entertained and he sorts out all your trips Make sure you see him!
And the LA itself is a must see, stars are everywhere (many wanna be's) but I guess that is what this city is all about.

Stayed April 2008

Been to Banana Bungalow West Hollywood? Share your experiences!