“Loved the Chateau” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
New York, NY
“Loved the Chateau”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2006

If you want to feel like an insider, stay at the Chateau. We had great service and the most comfortable bed of any hotel I’ve slept in. The suites are big and restored to resemble the classic style when the hotel was built. The pool area is relaxing with a pool bar & food service. The lounge is fun and a good place for people watching. This hotel lives up to its reputation as a Hollywood icon.

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2006

We stayed at the Chateau on the final weekend of our honeymoon and had a great time. We saw tons of celebrities, had excellent drinks outside the main house and enjoyed the quiet retreat of our cottage by the pool. Fantastic.

• Stayed May 2006
Las Vegas, NV
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2005

For what you pay, this is the worst hotel we've stayed in ever. Upon arrival, we were told our room was not ready yet, that they had had trouble getting the prior guest to leave, and they didn't have any other accommodations to put us in as we waited. The didn't offer us ANYTHING, just said we could sit in the entry way while we waited. Which we were forced to do, with our luggage for well over an hour...offered nothing.

The staff at the hotel clearly separated the guests between those that were in the 'in crowd' and those that weren't. I felt we were put into the latter group. When we called to have them put our bags in our car the next morning, no one showed up for over 30 minutes...terrible service, just terrible.

This has to be the most over hyped hotel in the world, I would never stay there again. If you have to see it, just park on the street, walk around the grounds, take a few pictures, and tell people you stayed there. It'll save you over 400.00 / night, and a lot of headache. It was as if we paid to be treated badly!

• Stayed November 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2005

I stayed at the Chateau Marmont a few weeks ago, and I couldn't have been more pleased. I don't usually post reviews, but after reading some of the reviews here, I wanted to get in my two cents. Everything was perfect - we had no problems at all. The staff was very nice and all service was prompt. Nothing smelled bad and the paper was delivered every day. We had a premier suite, and it was very spacious. The view was breathtaking, and I found it very quiet. The bar was closed, so I didn't get to see that.

As much as I loved it, it may not be for everyone. It was built in 1927, so you're not going to find any jacuzzis. It is expensive, but you know that going in. You won't be able to find any place with more old Hollywood history and charm. I obviously recommend it, and I'd stay there again - if I can afford it!

• Stayed October 2005
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2005

I stayed at the Chateau Marmont for 3 nights during my 3 week trip to the States. At the time of booking, I requested a quiet room, only to find when I checked in that I had been allocated a cottage right next to the road. I complained about this, and was given a "penthouse one bedroom" room on the second floor for one night, as a quiet cottage was unavailable. The penthouse room was spacious, however, the bathroom was tiny and pretty awful. I was shocked to discover this "penthouse room" is normally $1500 per night, which seemed extremely poor value for money.

For the following 2 nights I stayed in a cottage. It was pretty dark and claustrophobic. The bathroom was so small the bathroom door could only be opened half way as it knocked against the toilet. While I can appreciate that there is a certain charm in keeping the old 1930's decor, some of the fittings were truly dreadful. I am at a loss to understand why celebrities come here. Are they given rooms for free?

The nightclub was closed for renovation during my stay. From the outside, it looked like it should have been demolished years ago. I suspect I would not have gotten any sleep at all had it been open, given my cottage's proximity to the nightclub.

While service and food in the restaurant was very good for breakfast, I couldn't get into the restaurant for dinner on any evening I was there. I therefore had room service, and it was cold when it arrived. I also didn't get the newspaper I requested for any of the mornings I was there.

The fact that the hotel is in West Hollywood is another negative - it's a truly dreadful area.

The hotel however does have a quiet charm and it is like stepping back in time. While I wouldn't stay there again, it was a unique experience.

• Stayed October 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2005

After spending a whirlwind vacation in California during August along with our son & daughter-in-law we wanted to spend the last two nights near Beverley Hills. After searching the internet we were undecided if we should stay at the Marmont as some of the reviews were not too flattering. Friends of ours in Canada recommended the hotel to us if not to stay a must see. So we ignored the bad comments.... We are so glad we did.

The four of us loved the place & the staff couldn't of been nicer. It is of an older style but this is what adds to the charm. The food was great & the pool area very inviting with beautiful plants & shrubs.

If you are ever in California do yourself a favour & stay at the Chateau Marmont. You will not be disappointed. Travelling back in time is the feeling one gets & I can only imagine all the famous people who must of stayed at this grand hotel.

Only disappointment was it wasn't longer.......

• Stayed August 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2005

I brought my three teenage children to LA to visit my oldest son who has moved to the West coast. We like high end but slightly off-beat hotels and the Marmont fit our needs perfectly. Despite some comments on the web regarding a snobbish air to the place, we were enormously pleased with both the service and accommodations. First, we were unexpectedly upgraded to their most luxurious "bungalow" (Number 1) which had three bedrooms, full kitchen, big living room and a long porch which would easily have held thirty people for cocktails. The bathrooms were small and the lighting in the cottage was dark - this seems to be a theme at the hotel - and one of my only complaints. In the gorgeous retro-hollywood main lobby, I felt as if my eyes were failing. During cocktails one evening, I mistakenly tried to switch a lamp to a higher brightness level only to have the manager quietly saunter over and switch it back to its subliminal illumination level. Maybe movie stars - of which there were several - go there precisely because they cannot be seen. Half-way into our stay, the kitchen closed for renovations. Unfortunately, no one had bothered to inform us of this which was a disappointment. The staff was very gracious when they realized the oversight and made an appropriate adjustment on our bill and sent a bottle of wine to the room. It was handled extremely professionally. Before leaving, I phoned housekeeping to inquire about the shampoo samples in our room, to which my daughter had become quite fond. He gave me the story of the product -made especially for the Marmont - and said he would be happy to send her a sample when the new shipment arrived. How gracious. If you are looking for a modern hotel with big marble bathrooms and a sleek look, this may not be the place for you. However, if you like a sense of history and can tolerate some dim light bulbs and a few imperfections, this is a wonderful choice.

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Chateau Marmont? Share your experiences!