“Plenty of pros, and a few cons” 3 of 5 stars

Chateau Marmont
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8221 W. Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90046   |
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Perth, Australia
“Plenty of pros, and a few cons”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed in one of the garden cottages this week for 6 nights - overall the experience was very good: the location in west Hollywood is unbeatable, the staff were all very friendly (being in a cottage our interaction was really just the valet in the garage) when approached and the concierge gave us very good restaurant recommendations etc.

My only tips to fellow travelers is if you're looking to stay in the cottages is that they're not stand-alone but rather connected to one another via thin stud-wall, so we could clearly hear our neighbors conversations when they were just talking normally in their room which was very annoying. I was praying they wouldn't come home at 3am with friends and make noise!
This was surprising as the whole point of booking a cottage was to get some seclusion, instead after an hour of check in we were considering asking for a standard room in the hotel itself.

The only other negative was the bathroom- it was really tiny, with a pedestal vanity very little space for toiletries (we had to keep most of them in the kitchen), and the shower - which is a bath/shower - seems to be either tepid or hot enough to fuse atoms (if adjusted just millimeters) which gets a bit tiresome.

These are pretty small negatives but are a bit disappointing given the expectations and price per night; we came from NYC (the Bowery hotel) and Vegas (Wynn) before here and both were superior in my view.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Sure, this is a famous landmark hotel and a hangout for A-list celebrities - which I am not - but that didn't stop the hotel from taking excellent care of me and making my stay exceptional in every way. From the advance call from the concierge, the excellent food, the way they dealt with an event in the hotel to every staff person I came in contact with being friendly, helpful and fun. It just doesn't get any better. The rooms are classically furnished for comfort, not to impress. The place is private and appropriate. The pool is small, but very nice. I've had great meals there - especially the hamburger. I live this place and stay here every opportunity I have - THEY GET IT!

• Stayed April 2014
Cerritos, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

Finally had the chance to visit the famed Chateau where the famous celebrities hang out. The entrance to the property is obscure - drive too fast along Sunset and you will miss it. The hotel does not offer self parking, only valet so your only other choice is to hunt for limited street parking around the neighborhood. The exterior of the Chateau looks impressive and imposing, a castle on a hill. The interior was dark and moody, and had an old Hollywood ambiance.

I visited a one bedroom suite on the third floor. To my dismal surprise the suite contained an outdated bathroom and kitchen. The appliances had not been upgraded since several decades ago. The bathroom was small. The only redeeming quality of the room was the bedroom which had nice Frette linen.

I did not get the chance to dine at their property or visit the bar. I also did not spot any famous celebrities but they were preparing for an invite only book release party of a world famous photographer and the Oscar. The hotel staff is courteous but not friendly. They will only be willing to help you if you approach them first.

I do not understand how they can justify charging expensive rates for their sub par rooms. Their rooms are in dire need of a renovation. Looking outside the window from the suite, I could see the roof of their bar was in disrepair - not a pleasant sight to behold.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed at the chateau for a long weekend. We arrived and they upgraded us to a cottage-it was so lovely and charming. It was fully stocked and they even had stationary with my name printed on it. The service was impeccable and we will definitely make this our only place to stay when we go to LA.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Let me start off by saying that I have been to the Chateau more than I can count. I have only stayed in the Hotel one night. But find myself going back to the patio for dinner, drinks, and to hang out under the stars or next to the stars. The food is delicious. Very basic, comfort food mostly. But I or my friends go there for the vibe. You need a res, because they have many celebs and visitors. So they can be picky to get in. But once you are in, they treat you like your'e one of them. You need to sit outside. Do not sit inside as you will be disappointed. It's all about outside and the atmosphere . I have had dinner sitting next to Pink, Ellen, Collin Ferrel, Natalie Portman, the list goes on. It's still a Hollywood A lister place. If you like that kinda thing, you will like this place. But remember it's not about them, it's about the Vibe.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room, don't expect perfection with the rooms, they are old.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

The dodgy neon sign with only half of 'Marmont' illuminated should have been a warning sign, but we plundered on in...then there were ear-plugs in the bathroom cabinet - ahhhhhhhh, getting interesting. First off let me say the staff were exceptional - on the desk, in the wonderful restaurant and bar and helping us park in the garage - great people all...our stay in Room 27 was less than splendid though in a ho-hum room with leaky bathroom. There is a line - a thick one I now think - between cool retro and old, tired and a bit shabby. The clattering from the kitchen below our window at 2am wasn't appreciated - yes, should have used those ear-plugs. You expect more from a room which costs $650 a night. By contrast, we had the best of times in the wonderful bar and restaurant. As others have said on Trip Advisor, insist on a renovated room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We have stayed at the Chateau on about 10 occasions over 10 years. It's one of the main reasons why we travel the 6,000 miles from the UK to LA. Oh, and the weather too.

It is a five star hotel, but not a conventional one. It's funky, it's old Hollywood and there's is genuinely nowhere else like it in the world. Where many five star hotels are plush, but could be in any major city, you know where you are at the Chateau.

The pool is charming, the main lobby stylish and the outdoor restaurant is tranquil by day and buzzing at night.

The staff are wonderful, friendly and charming. Special praise for Jesse, Peter, Scott, and Matthew the host, he of the fabulous hair and very high cheekbones.

The restaurant food is great comfort food: strip steak (with superb fries), spaghetti bolognese and even shepherds pie. The Sunday night fried chicken is rightly legendary.

We'll be back in May 2014. Can't wait.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the city have amazing views, but you pay for the privilege
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chamberlain West Hollywood
Chamberlain West Hollywood
#4 of 17 in West Hollywood
4.0 of 5 stars 1,079 reviews

Been to Chateau Marmont? Share your experiences!