“The Patio at the Chateau” 5 of 5 stars

You added Chateau Marmont to your Saves list
Chateau Marmont
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8221 W. Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90046   |
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
“The Patio at the Chateau”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

Let me start off by saying that I have been to the Chateau more than I can count. I have only stayed in the Hotel one night. But find myself going back to the patio for dinner, drinks, and to hang out under the stars or next to the stars. The food is delicious. Very basic, comfort food mostly. But I or my friends go there for the vibe. You need a res, because they have many celebs and visitors. So they can be picky to get in. But once you are in, they treat you like your'e one of them. You need to sit outside. Do not sit inside as you will be disappointed. It's all about outside and the atmosphere . I have had dinner sitting next to Pink, Ellen, Collin Ferrel, Natalie Portman, the list goes on. It's still a Hollywood A lister place. If you like that kinda thing, you will like this place. But remember it's not about them, it's about the Vibe.

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room, don't expect perfection with the rooms, they are old.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

The dodgy neon sign with only half of 'Marmont' illuminated should have been a warning sign, but we plundered on in...then there were ear-plugs in the bathroom cabinet - ahhhhhhhh, getting interesting. First off let me say the staff were exceptional - on the desk, in the wonderful restaurant and bar and helping us park in the garage - great people all...our stay in Room 27 was less than splendid though in a ho-hum room with leaky bathroom. There is a line - a thick one I now think - between cool retro and old, tired and a bit shabby. The clattering from the kitchen below our window at 2am wasn't appreciated - yes, should have used those ear-plugs. You expect more from a room which costs $650 a night. By contrast, we had the best of times in the wonderful bar and restaurant. As others have said on Trip Advisor, insist on a renovated room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We have stayed at the Chateau on about 10 occasions over 10 years. It's one of the main reasons why we travel the 6,000 miles from the UK to LA. Oh, and the weather too.

It is a five star hotel, but not a conventional one. It's funky, it's old Hollywood and there's is genuinely nowhere else like it in the world. Where many five star hotels are plush, but could be in any major city, you know where you are at the Chateau.

The pool is charming, the main lobby stylish and the outdoor restaurant is tranquil by day and buzzing at night.

The staff are wonderful, friendly and charming. Special praise for Jesse, Peter, Scott, and Matthew the host, he of the fabulous hair and very high cheekbones.

The restaurant food is great comfort food: strip steak (with superb fries), spaghetti bolognese and even shepherds pie. The Sunday night fried chicken is rightly legendary.

We'll be back in May 2014. Can't wait.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the city have amazing views, but you pay for the privilege
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I was lucky to get a renovated room, nr 21, facing the restaurant. There's just something in the air at this place. Old Hollywood. I absolutely love it. The gym is tiny. I usually care, but I don't. I just don't want to leave. Your mileage may vary.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a renovated room. The other ones aren't that great.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Magnificent, in a word. World Class in two. Without equal in two more.
THE Chateau is legendary and after a week during the Holidays it is even more so. Ambiance in all places. Grand food and wines. Discreet and caring service make this the only hotel for us in Hollywood. We even fly from LAX fbo to our other West Coast venues just to stay here. Yes, it's worth it.

• Stayed December 2012
Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Rude unfriendly staff. Shabby hotel room. I was shocked actually. The bathroom was the type of thing you would rip out of any old house you bought and this was a junior suite. I was expecting luxury vintage done really well. This is just super old granny vintage with no luxury. The room and corridors gave me the creeps. All the hotel facilities were closed for either maintenance or private events during our stay including the pool, bar and outdoor restaurant with no advanced notice. The food we did manage to eat was poor value relative to the very slow and sub standard service we received. The only highlight of this hotel was sharing the lift with Ralph Finnes. If you want to see a celebrity then go, they are there for sure. Otherwise I can't very sadly recommend this hotel. They clearly need to stop believing their own hype and focus on customer excellence. We were able to negotiate a good discount on checkout. This was one of three hotels we stayed in during our trip to LA and was by far the worst and most expensive. Go to the mondrian instead.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Oviedo, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This review is for the entire experience at the Chateau this weekend. This trip has been on my bucket list for years. Where do I begin. My sister and I booked a two bedroom suite for $1,300 a night. It was a real splurge for me but when do you get to stay in such luxury supposedly surrounded by stars?

We pull up and yes the first thing you see is the fancy cars parked in the garage. Then we checked in and met Rickey who had been helping us with arrangements prior to visiting. He was much friendlier in person as I wasn't getting a great vibe on my phone calls and emails with staff. Not the "five star" treatment I expected.

We walked into our room and was immediately put off by how old the room was. I guess I should have known that. "old hollywood" Didn't realize really what it meant. The bathroom could barely fit a person and definitely not much room to do anything with towels or your toiletries. I think our reaction to the room was based on personal experience in living in an older home at a different time in our lives.

The suite came with a kitchen, little table and chairs and a living room. It had a lovely balcony. The kitchen and my bedroom overlooked the path to the pool and the streets. Gorgeous windows in the suite. The whole Chateau is covered in trees and so forth. It does create a very homey atmosphere which is what they want. It took about a half of a day to appreciate it. The hotel definitely has a feel like nowhere else. VERY different.

So aside from the tiny bathroom the rest of the suite was fine. The bed was comfortable. Each room had a flat screen. So we started our stay by checking out the pool and having drinks out there. We were well taken care of by Brian. Lovely guy. The pool area is secluded. Not impressive at all but comfy. Cute tennis table. Lemon tree that hangs over the pool. We then went into the garden bar. Now that is really cool. I guess this is where the scene is. This was a Friday early evening. I will say this was the low point of my stay. We would chit chat with the servers but you never felt like they cared if you needed anything and certainly didn't ask unless you ran them over. I finally got so tired of it I said something to the manager (Brendan) and he immediately took care of our bill and service completely changed.

We then proceeded to have dinner as planned but a bit earlier. The menu was ok. I ordered the hamburger just to be done with it. I ordered it medium rare. Came out medium well. The fries were good. I think the prices are a bit much and quality is average overall. What really shot the rating overall at the hotel was when I found out after checking out that they add gratuity to the bill. No wonder everything seemed to cost too much. What a disappointment. I have only seen that in large parties. I tip over 20 percent so I am not happy about this at all. No one said a word nor did I notice.

Brendan is in my opinion in the wrong place. He is the only person who really seemed to care about service. The rest are kind of laisee faire. Though will say Brian at the pool was excellent but even he didn't say anything when I tipped him $16 for two rounds of drinks which was apparently above the baked in tip.

We then spent Saturday by the pool. I figured we would have some star sighting there. NONE. In fact didn't see anyone the entire trip. Amazing. We did have lunch at the pool. Don't order the BLT. Horrible. Fell apart. Chicken sandwich was ok. I think the issue is that the bread was not the right kind and too toasted. Again we double tipped here I think.

Saturday evening we spent at the Bar Chateau as we heard that was the scene. Once they knew we were staying at the hotel the service could not be better. The lovely girl at the hostess stand was wonderful! And April took good care of us throughout the evening. Lovely girls. We spent the evening watching the young and not so beautiful have fun. It was fairly good people watching but not exciting folks.

The best service we received aside from Brendan (who did by the way comp our drinks at the garden bar - which makes up for overtipping) was Brad (??? staff - his initials I know are BLT) in valet/bell staff. He was AMAZING. So sweet and helpful throughout our stay. He was the saving grace of this hotel.

Even though I wanted to see stars I could have thoroughly enjoyed this scene much more (because hotel is unique and can be enchanting) if people seemed to care about the service or making you feel special without being pretentious. There is an air of why are you bothering me. Just real strange for what you pay. You can make someone feel at home without being pretentious.

I won't be back. But if you want a unique experience in an old hollywood setting there is nothing like the Chateau. (Oh unless you want internet - that is a whole other story. Sent up an engineering rep to help me who was a lovely Mexican man without a lot of English and certainly didn't know the internet.)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Chamberlain West Hollywood
Chamberlain West Hollywood
#4 of 17 in West Hollywood
4.0 of 5 stars 1,078 reviews

Been to Chateau Marmont? Share your experiences!