“Overrated - very disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Chateau Marmont
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8221 W. Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90046   |
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Overrated - very disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Rude unfriendly staff. Shabby hotel room. I was shocked actually. The bathroom was the type of thing you would rip out of any old house you bought and this was a junior suite. I was expecting luxury vintage done really well. This is just super old granny vintage with no luxury. The room and corridors gave me the creeps. All the hotel facilities were closed for either maintenance or private events during our stay including the pool, bar and outdoor restaurant with no advanced notice. The food we did manage to eat was poor value relative to the very slow and sub standard service we received. The only highlight of this hotel was sharing the lift with Ralph Finnes. If you want to see a celebrity then go, they are there for sure. Otherwise I can't very sadly recommend this hotel. They clearly need to stop believing their own hype and focus on customer excellence. We were able to negotiate a good discount on checkout. This was one of three hotels we stayed in during our trip to LA and was by far the worst and most expensive. Go to the mondrian instead.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Oviedo, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

This review is for the entire experience at the Chateau this weekend. This trip has been on my bucket list for years. Where do I begin. My sister and I booked a two bedroom suite for $1,300 a night. It was a real splurge for me but when do you get to stay in such luxury supposedly surrounded by stars?

We pull up and yes the first thing you see is the fancy cars parked in the garage. Then we checked in and met Rickey who had been helping us with arrangements prior to visiting. He was much friendlier in person as I wasn't getting a great vibe on my phone calls and emails with staff. Not the "five star" treatment I expected.

We walked into our room and was immediately put off by how old the room was. I guess I should have known that. "old hollywood" Didn't realize really what it meant. The bathroom could barely fit a person and definitely not much room to do anything with towels or your toiletries. I think our reaction to the room was based on personal experience in living in an older home at a different time in our lives.

The suite came with a kitchen, little table and chairs and a living room. It had a lovely balcony. The kitchen and my bedroom overlooked the path to the pool and the streets. Gorgeous windows in the suite. The whole Chateau is covered in trees and so forth. It does create a very homey atmosphere which is what they want. It took about a half of a day to appreciate it. The hotel definitely has a feel like nowhere else. VERY different.

So aside from the tiny bathroom the rest of the suite was fine. The bed was comfortable. Each room had a flat screen. So we started our stay by checking out the pool and having drinks out there. We were well taken care of by Brian. Lovely guy. The pool area is secluded. Not impressive at all but comfy. Cute tennis table. Lemon tree that hangs over the pool. We then went into the garden bar. Now that is really cool. I guess this is where the scene is. This was a Friday early evening. I will say this was the low point of my stay. We would chit chat with the servers but you never felt like they cared if you needed anything and certainly didn't ask unless you ran them over. I finally got so tired of it I said something to the manager (Brendan) and he immediately took care of our bill and service completely changed.

We then proceeded to have dinner as planned but a bit earlier. The menu was ok. I ordered the hamburger just to be done with it. I ordered it medium rare. Came out medium well. The fries were good. I think the prices are a bit much and quality is average overall. What really shot the rating overall at the hotel was when I found out after checking out that they add gratuity to the bill. No wonder everything seemed to cost too much. What a disappointment. I have only seen that in large parties. I tip over 20 percent so I am not happy about this at all. No one said a word nor did I notice.

Brendan is in my opinion in the wrong place. He is the only person who really seemed to care about service. The rest are kind of laisee faire. Though will say Brian at the pool was excellent but even he didn't say anything when I tipped him $16 for two rounds of drinks which was apparently above the baked in tip.

We then spent Saturday by the pool. I figured we would have some star sighting there. NONE. In fact didn't see anyone the entire trip. Amazing. We did have lunch at the pool. Don't order the BLT. Horrible. Fell apart. Chicken sandwich was ok. I think the issue is that the bread was not the right kind and too toasted. Again we double tipped here I think.

Saturday evening we spent at the Bar Chateau as we heard that was the scene. Once they knew we were staying at the hotel the service could not be better. The lovely girl at the hostess stand was wonderful! And April took good care of us throughout the evening. Lovely girls. We spent the evening watching the young and not so beautiful have fun. It was fairly good people watching but not exciting folks.

The best service we received aside from Brendan (who did by the way comp our drinks at the garden bar - which makes up for overtipping) was Brad (??? staff - his initials I know are BLT) in valet/bell staff. He was AMAZING. So sweet and helpful throughout our stay. He was the saving grace of this hotel.

Even though I wanted to see stars I could have thoroughly enjoyed this scene much more (because hotel is unique and can be enchanting) if people seemed to care about the service or making you feel special without being pretentious. There is an air of why are you bothering me. Just real strange for what you pay. You can make someone feel at home without being pretentious.

I won't be back. But if you want a unique experience in an old hollywood setting there is nothing like the Chateau. (Oh unless you want internet - that is a whole other story. Sent up an engineering rep to help me who was a lovely Mexican man without a lot of English and certainly didn't know the internet.)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

Frankly, when you pay almost $1000 a night, you'd expect to be able to sit at the bar and have a meal. But on both nights of our stay, we were refused entry because of an "event". This basically means that because you are not a celebrity or attached to one in some way, then entrance is verboten! I know this for a fact, as a friend of mine, who is a well known actor, happened to be staying there on our second night. When he realised I was at the same hotel he suggested we meet in the bar for a drink. "I'll put your name on the door". Armed with this, I approached the gatekeepers and asked if perhaps this time, we might be able to have a drink in the bar. "Oh no...sorry...it's completely full....we have an EVENT on" then I mentioned my famous friend might have put my name on the door and....."oh yes sir, I think we can squeeze you in" once inside the hallowed turf I found, to my amazement, it was half empty. What a joke! If you want an expensive nightclub experience where you are looked down upon for your very unhipness, then this is the hotel for you. I'll be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Founded in 1927, the Chateau Marmont is discreetly snuggled in a copse of trees just above Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood. It has had decades of influence on the pop culture at large and in Los Angeles (once home to Hollywood’s golden era stars Gable, Greta Garbo, Humphrey Bogart and Howard Hughes). Modeled after a royal residence in France's Loire Valley, it is home to 63 rooms, cottages and bungalows - some with kitchens and each with its own size and style. I prefer Room ___ :) with its balcony and bird's eye view of the city. No-one is fawned over here, which adds to its heady and laid back ambience. 24 hour concierge and room service. Same day dry cleaning and laundry. Outdoor heated pool. Enjoy the Chateau’s pretty Garden restaurant (7am to midnight) under the guidance of top chef Carolynn Spence, cozy indoor dining or drinks and appetizers in the lounge with the great Steinway which Oscar Levant used to play and, with little effort, you can see the ghosts of Astaire and Rogers dance by. It's especially swell at Christmas (when I'm there then, I always leave a little present under the gorgeous tree). It is an incomparable slice of Hollywood history and I promise your stay will be worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I recently stayed with a girlfriend for a fun girls weekend at the Chateau. I could not have been happier with our experience. From the moment I arrived, I was greeted by the most engaging and helpful staff. Every single person who works there exemplifies service, kindness and warmth. After just being there for the evening, many people knew us by our first names, went out of their way to greet us and were so helpful. I know that this hotel sees tons of celebrities and high powered guests however, you are treated at the Chateau with the same energy no matter who you are. The staff is truly outstanding.
I love the bar in the main building. Steven, Candice and Jaime are wonderful. The restaurant garden is a true oasis in LA, but my favorite part is the pool and our little cottage area. We stayed in Cottage 81, the most charming little apartment with a 50's style kitchen. Loved it, so old school Hollywood!
Sitting by the pool, you are greeted with smiles and warmth, not only from the staff but also our fellow guests. You can feel the history, sitting there, looking up at the main building and wandering through the beautifully designed gardens.
Hats off to all of the amazing staff at the front/concierge desk...you guys made our stay!
Loved it and can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Stay in a cottage if you can...really special experience. Worth the extra change.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Virginia Water, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We had 2 nights here. The first room was so poor we asked to be moved. It was straight off the reception area which everyone coming into the hotel, bar or restaurant walked through. It was sandwiched between the men's bathroom and the stairs. We could hear every conversation in reception, every footstep on the stairs, the reception bell ringing. It was busy throughout the night and when it did start to quieten slightly the hoovering and cleaning started. The room also looked onto the drive so every car coming into the garage shone it's lights straight in. Only being single glazed they were noisy (and by the morning the traffic on the main road also became a problem) it was so bad we even asked if we could be moved about 2am (no!) We even contacted our booking agent to see if they would be able to get us into a different hotel in case hotel themselves hadn't got a room to move us to. Under no circumstances would I have spent 2 nights in that room.
This room itself was quite nice, high ceilings, wood floors. The bathroom wasn't great, it is one thing having an old feel in a clean modern way, but this felt as if it just hadn't been renovated since the 20s, cracked, chipped sink etc.
Next day we were moved to the 7th floor, this room although still feeling tired was quiet. If we had been here to start with this review would have rated higher.
Service: great, couldn't fault it, very attentive, remembered names, gave us chocolate and champagne as it was our wedding anniversary. Even the valet who took our name on arrival said happy anniversary. They Helped us move rooms, gave us a free breakfast to apologise for the room.
Great staff trying to deal with a substandard hotel.
Everything (breakfast, drinks etc) was quite expensive and 18% gratuity automatically added to all bills.
Grounds and pool area were lovely.

Room Tip: If you value your sleep do not accept room 16
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

first of all, just driving up the hill into the garage is a treat. and then walking into the hotel and knowing that in a moment i will be in the fabulous garden setting of the chateau....i save the experience for birthdays. yes, it's expensive....but it's worth it to have a special afternoon to celebrate an occasion. i love the food, the waiters, and the garden. if you're in hollywood, don't miss it.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Chateau Marmont? Share your experiences!