“Arrogant staff and overpriced food” 2 of 5 stars

Chateau Marmont
8221 W. Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90046   |
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Los Angeles, California
“Arrogant staff and overpriced food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I treated my family to Sunday lunch and felt really ripped off and poorly treated. The food was ok but absolutely nothing to write home about. The meal was hugely overpriced, as was the wine. Staff were unfriendly and service was very poor. Perhaps celebs get better treatment but I certainly won't return nor will I be recommending it to family and friends living in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with a friend and was shocked how bad it is. Rooms are not well kept for the $600 a night price. Other than seeing a few D list celebs, it has nothing going for it, we should have stayed at the Peninsula which was $50 a night less,oh well, live and learn.

• Stayed September 2013
Rome, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I wanted to treat my dear husband on his 40th birthday and make it special so I booked a night here with dinner reservations. We drove down from Dana Point, Orange County, quite a long drive to LA. After spending a couple of hours gazing at the boutiques on Rodeo Dr we checked into this hotel. The entrance seemed kind of shabby for a hotel of this class. The check in staff was friendly but the girl at restaurant reservations was not at all helpful. We had a choice to dine either at the bar or the main dining room so we chose the main dining room and confirmed our reservation. Valet parking was $32.
We were then led to our room, a junior suite #77 on the top floor. A bottle of champagne and chocolates were waiting for us with a hand written note from the manager, Philip Pavel, which was a nice touch. The suite has a large bedroom, a small kitchen area and a dressing area adjacent to the bath. The views were of the cottages and the pool below.
My problem with this hotel is that on no level did it feel like a luxury hotel. The furnishings were old and dated but most of all the bathroom needed to be renovated. The tub was chipped, the sink was old. Everything was old! I understand that the hotel is trying to stay in the 20's STYLE but it does not mean that everything has to be literally from the 1920's. I do expect modernity in a 5 star hotel at the very least. They need to spend a lot more money on updating this hotel, especially for the five star prices they charge.
The dinner was nothing to write home about, the food was average and not worth the $150+, the service was awful.
We were taking pictures of each other when the hostess swooped upon us and forbid us to take photos! Apparently it could disturb the "celebrities"! The hotel has a no photo policy anywhere in the hotel. Ridiculous! A celebrity, if you can call her that, Chelsea Handler, did show up. From the minute she arrived until she left she spoke and laughed very, very loudly so you could not miss her if you tried. Another family started taking photos of themselves but the hostess ignored them, I guess the policy only applies to non-Hollywood types like us.
Bottom line, never going back to this hotel. Wish I had chosen the Beverly Hills Hotel where we went for lunch the next day and we were treated so well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The facilities are old but the history is great.
This is a great place if you are looking for a good time, the reclusiveness makes its private like no one is looking and you can get away with it.
The drinks and food can be pricey but very good.
One of the best Moscow Mule in town.
If you're in LA for just a few nights its worth it.
Rooms are small and mattresses are old.
Loved the Kiehl's bathroom products.
The staff were all very attentive and efficient, even if you are not from LA or a celebrity.

Would go back again and again for 1 or 2 nights, even on a lay over or short stay in LA.
There are more luxurious hotels with better locations, but this is a classic, even if its just for once in your lifetime!
Its walkable or cab short distance from many great clubs, Mel's diner, good restaurants and Sunset Plaza.
Enjoy! Yolo!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times now and dined a few times more. Knowing many of the wild goings-on here for years, I had to see for myself what this place was like.
It felt like I was staying at a hacienda, even read it described as similar to a bordello. The patina was very appealing to me: from the tiles to the wood. If you're looking for a 5 star hotel (they're a dime a dozen in this town), you'd be disappointed. I came for the history and its character, so I wasn't. It was, after all, built in 1929 and even served as a bomb shelter at one point. It was where F. Scott Fitzgerald wrote the Last Tycoon and where Howard Hughes lived at the penthouse for three years. The walls had so many stories to tell.
The first time we dined at the private restaurant inside and sat beside John Malkovich, 3 of the Spice Girls (this was many years ago) and some other European actor whose name I can't recall just now. I found it very cozy and full of character. Brunch in the patio was really nice but it was open then, now the outdoor restaurant has been covered up and I do like the bedouin-tent look about it. I enjoyed all their food.
The last time we stayed at the main part of the hotel, not in the bungalows, our room was retro and the bathrooms can use some updating and still keep its flavor. Next time I'll probably stay in one of the bungalows and, if I'm feeling flush with funds, even at the penthouse.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very good team, Had a lot of fun.
Ask for the bloody Mary at the bar, and candace makes the best.
At the restaurant Younes took great care of us.
They took care of booking a table for us at Animal and were very well taking care of.
Thank you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I slept one night in the hotel but i Can say that never in my life happen that in the lobby don t want to book something for u .i Just want to book a shuttle for the airport and they denied. I Did it by myself. The bathroom Was very old and they didn t put any kit for shower etc. Nice pool and the Lunch Was nice .

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Chateau Marmont? Share your experiences!