“Hollywood legend lives up to expectations.” 5 of 5 stars

Chateau Marmont
8221 W. Sunset Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90046   |
Ranked #11 of 17 hotels in West Hollywood
NEW YORK
“Hollywood legend lives up to expectations.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Chateau Marmont was on my hotel bucket list and I was not disappointed. Beautiful room, excellent service and amazing grounds. Breakfast at the pool should not be missed. A great experience and well worth the price!

• Stayed September 2012

253 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Boston, MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

One of my favorite hotels in the world has been the Chateau Marmont. I have managed to stay in just about every room at this classic, old Hollywood haunt. However, I am parting ways with the Chateau because everything I used to like about this place has been destroyed by tourists who now make this seem more like the Standard than the Chateau Marmont.

This place is usually crammed to the gills now with tourists ... many Austrailian and Brits and some Americans. It used to be a very exclusive retreat where you could count on privacy, discression and fun times. Now it is full of loud tourists wandering the halls taking pictures for facebook to tell all their friends about their stay at this Hollywood classic which is known for famous guests and no stranger to scandal.

I blame it on an overly zealous publicity department ... a culture obsessed with celebrity ... and the apparent good economy in Austrailia and England where people don't mind paying $600 for a room that looks like a bus station bathroom. All the charm is gone from this place and it seems more like Disneyland for adults. The last several times I tried to book a room they were completely sold out. When I did manage to get a room, in the past I could count on a midnight swim by myself. Now, there is a pool full of people at 2 a.m. on a Monday night.

What was once almost an inside secret is now one of Hollywood's top tourist destinations, it seems. I am moving on to a more discrete hotel with less tourist activity. This used to be my favorite place ... and if you are looking for old school Hollywood the way it was in the 1920s ... this is it. Unfotunately, now its a non-stop party that everyone is invited to providing they can pay $600 for a room. And they do. Lots of them.

Room Tip: Dont stay here so it gets less crowded!vg
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Athens, Greece
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Nothing wrong with the hotel it is what it is. A taste of a bygone era in Hollywood which is cool. Please do not eat there it is the most overpriced and overhyped food in West Hollywood. You will get a better meal at a cheap diner.

The service is shocking with the very good looking service staff finding it more important to stand around and chat around the outside drinks service area than serve or look after there tables.

And the food it self is very very average and flavorless. A 35 dollar steak was embarrassingly bad and the crab entree a joke. Luckily I didn't pick up the bill as I would have been really upset. Also the wine list and value is like a 15 year old has picked it!

It no secret that the food is very average at the Chateau but spend your money else where and don't eat here.

Its such a shame because with a decent Head chef they could turn this place around and make food a focus again as the venue is great. But perhaps they don't care??

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

When I visit LA I usually stay at ultra modern and trendy hotels and expected the same from the Chateau Marmont. Within the first couple of minutes of entering my suite I realised how mistaken I was.

Firstly, check in and valet staff were super friendly upon arrival. The lobby is beautiful and its clear from the off that this hotel is full of beautiful people. Every other person had that touch of glamour that can only come with fame, fortune or an LA lifestyle.

I was staying in Suite 33 and I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the decor was fresh from the 40's/50's and looked like it hadn't been refurbished since. Once I got over the initial surprise, it was this stripped back, retro feel that made me fall in love with the room. It was vintage, it was a bit shabby chic but more importantly it was comfortable and homely. There was a personalised note from the manager welcoming me to the hotel (nice touch) and glorious jazz music playing in the room when I first entered which added to the retro feel of the room.

The breakfast was yummy, although unfortunately I got ill on my trip so didn't sample the restaurant, bar or pool area which I was very sad about. I have heard from many people that Bar Marmont is THE place to go to people watch over drinks.

I'd definitely return to the hotel, the rooms make me feel all fuzzy and content just thinking of them, but if you prefer modern, trendy and ultra slick rooms, this probably isn't the place for you.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Farmington Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had the opportuity to stay at Chateau Marmont recently. Have stayed there many times. Enjoyed it totally. Great crowd. Great rooms. Excellent staff. Superior time. I didn't even need to leave the Hotel to have a great time, but I did. The coolnest of the Hotel continues. Richard C. Rollins

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Undeniable there is some good to the Chateau a feel of the glorious hollywood years.
But the service is extremely pretentious and most of the employees quite arrogant to the exception of one Valet Parker who was adorable and did belong to an upscale place.
With the excuse of security you will be ask several times a day if you are staying in the hotel and your room number sometimes in the space of 10 minutes. If you don't care about celebrity and the star system maybe best not to go there because that is all that matters. When yo step into a room everyone will check out if it is "somebody". It is a steep price to be treated like a stalker or a prostitute.Therefore I checked out early.
The highs: the amazing bed very comfortable, the young valet guy.

Room Tip: Get a junior suite on the 7th floors. STAY AWAY FROM THE COTTAGE
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Madison, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

First of all, I feel like when you book a room here you should know going into it that you're not booking the hotel for the rooms. If you want contemporary/modern style room then stay at the Mondrian. You're here for the history and for the experience.

On this particular stay I was upgraded for free to a massive one bedroom suite. It was seriously huge. Separate living room (that alone was bigger than my entire apartment in NYC), dining room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and walk-in closet. While most of the furnishings in the room look dated it didn't bother me-for one because it's the whole point and two, everything worked perfectly. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've had in a long, long time.

The property itself is filled to the brim with history and Old Hollywood charm. It is truly a once in a lifetime experience to walk the grounds and eat in the courtyard, hang out at the pool, etc.

The staff were hit or miss. When I arrived I was not greeted with so much as a smile and was not offered any help with my bags, nor was I told where the lobby was. (Which thankfully I already knew.) The check-in guy was wonderful though. A real friendly guy and was one of the few who didn't act like he was doing me a favor by simply giving me the time of day. The other staff highlight was the bartender, Chase. Such a friendly guy and he can make some excellent drinks.

The bad as far as staff-the waiters and hosts at the courtyard restaurant. I've never experienced such horrendous service at a restaurant before. After waiting for ten minutes to get my first drink I was ready to order. I didn't see my waiter for almost 35 minutes. When I finally ordered my food it came out promptly and was delicious. Didn't see my waiter again after that for the rest of the time I was there. I finally got so fed up waiting that I went up to the bar and asked them just to give me my check. And lo and behold, there's an automatic 18% tip added. No wonder they could care less. The hosts of the restaurant aren't friendly either. They're pretty much downright mean. They look at you as if you are an insect if you're not a celebrity or someone who can further their aspiring acting careers. It was ridiculous but luckily the only negative experience of my stay. I smartened up and decided to go back to Chase at the bar for dinner. Prompt service and great conversation.

I'd recommend staying here just for a night. Just to eat amongst the celebs (and you will see someone, definitely), and to feel like you're back in the golden age of Hollywood for a day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Chateau Marmont? Share your experiences!