“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Undeniable there is some good to the Chateau a feel of the glorious hollywood years.
But the service is extremely pretentious and most of the employees quite arrogant to the exception of one Valet Parker who was adorable and did belong to an upscale place.
With the excuse of security you will be ask several times a day if you are staying in the hotel and your room number sometimes in the space of 10 minutes. If you don't care about celebrity and the star system maybe best not to go there because that is all that matters. When yo step into a room everyone will check out if it is "somebody". It is a steep price to be treated like a stalker or a prostitute.Therefore I checked out early.
The highs: the amazing bed very comfortable, the young valet guy.

Room Tip: Get a junior suite on the 7th floors. STAY AWAY FROM THE COTTAGE
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Madison, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

First of all, I feel like when you book a room here you should know going into it that you're not booking the hotel for the rooms. If you want contemporary/modern style room then stay at the Mondrian. You're here for the history and for the experience.

On this particular stay I was upgraded for free to a massive one bedroom suite. It was seriously huge. Separate living room (that alone was bigger than my entire apartment in NYC), dining room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and walk-in closet. While most of the furnishings in the room look dated it didn't bother me-for one because it's the whole point and two, everything worked perfectly. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've had in a long, long time.

The property itself is filled to the brim with history and Old Hollywood charm. It is truly a once in a lifetime experience to walk the grounds and eat in the courtyard, hang out at the pool, etc.

The staff were hit or miss. When I arrived I was not greeted with so much as a smile and was not offered any help with my bags, nor was I told where the lobby was. (Which thankfully I already knew.) The check-in guy was wonderful though. A real friendly guy and was one of the few who didn't act like he was doing me a favor by simply giving me the time of day. The other staff highlight was the bartender, Chase. Such a friendly guy and he can make some excellent drinks.

The bad as far as staff-the waiters and hosts at the courtyard restaurant. I've never experienced such horrendous service at a restaurant before. After waiting for ten minutes to get my first drink I was ready to order. I didn't see my waiter for almost 35 minutes. When I finally ordered my food it came out promptly and was delicious. Didn't see my waiter again after that for the rest of the time I was there. I finally got so fed up waiting that I went up to the bar and asked them just to give me my check. And lo and behold, there's an automatic 18% tip added. No wonder they could care less. The hosts of the restaurant aren't friendly either. They're pretty much downright mean. They look at you as if you are an insect if you're not a celebrity or someone who can further their aspiring acting careers. It was ridiculous but luckily the only negative experience of my stay. I smartened up and decided to go back to Chase at the bar for dinner. Prompt service and great conversation.

I'd recommend staying here just for a night. Just to eat amongst the celebs (and you will see someone, definitely), and to feel like you're back in the golden age of Hollywood for a day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Monte-Carlo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

"Everybody comes to Hollywood" and the Chateau is real West Hollywood. We stayed in one of their hillside bungalows (with 2 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, kitchen etc) which is very private, recently refurbished and very spacious. It also had own gates & parking and great views - a perfect combination of being in a West Hollywood residence and still having all the perks of the ubercool Chateau.
Pool is on the small side and the hotel bar a bit overhyped (I liked their outside bar/restaurant more than the in-hotel ones). Service was great and the location close to everything - we will come back!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Was there for the hollidays,so it was not full but these place clearly needs maintainence, the shower in my room was not functioning well,I reported these but the next day I had the same issue this hotel has a excelent location, wich is very nice, but is also very noisy.
the staff was very nice and helpful

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed for a week in the Chateau Marmont and I had a room on the same floor then the reception. The room itself was not to small but it was horrible dated. Beware you won't sleep before 2am cause it's very noisy from the Hotel Bar in the courtyard. From the outside this Hotel has a lot of charme from the inside it's just dated. The staff is not friendly at all even often very arrogant. I stayed a few times at the Sunset Tower Hotel which is a complete different world. The Chateau Marmont is only good if you want to eat in the courtyard at noon. Then service is "Ok". Later it will be horrible. I saw people who received their main meal served with the invoice and a nice tag that they have 10 minutes left then the next guests will come to take their table.....

Room Tip: Beware of a room on the ground floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Took a family vacation to LA and chose to stay at Chateau Marmont. Although the location was great, the rooms were very disappointing. We were not informed that smoking is allowed in the rooms, and the smell was overwhelming. When we asked the hotel to deodorize all they did was come in and light a candle.

The bungalow we stayed in was in need of serious renovations: bathroom floors were coming up in the corners, tub and sink were constantly clogged, ceiling in bathroom was water-stained and crumbling.

Generally service in the bar and restaurant were good, however the last day we were there a bartender gave himself a $40 tip on top of what we already tipped and the front desk was unable to resolve the issue upon check-out. Mistake or not, they should have fixed this promptly, and after 3 weeks we still had not been contacted.

For the price we paid to stay at this hotel, I would have rather stayed at another luxury property and given up the "experience" of Chateau Marmont.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

During our stay in West Hollywood we decided to have a drink in the iconic Chateau Marmont. The historic hotel is amazing, and se were the drinks in the lobby bar. However, we were little shocked when the bill arrived - 2 cocktails including their standard 18% service charge came to $51.45. Wow...we liked the experience, but not the bill! I guess, buyers be aware...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Chateau Marmont? Share your experiences!