“Great service but a bit old” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
SPECIAL TRIP ADVISOR SALE
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Singapore, Singapore
“Great service but a bit old”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

It might have been grand when it first opened, but when we visited it looked in need of refurbishment (the new pub was still in construction). The saving grace was the service, especially the willingness to keep our luggage for a week after checking out when there seemed to be no storage room available. The location was supposed to be great as well, with lively pubs abundant nearby. Indeed we saw groups of teenagers with partying gear in the reception area a few times. But we aren't really the partying type, so the location became a curse when it comes to parking especially on Saturday nights.

We chose this place by way of Priceline name your price deal. We paid about $100 a night with tax, whereas normally it would cost close to double. Afterwards, we found out about paid parking ($36 valet per day) and paid wifi ($11 per day). Honestly, it wouldn't be a deal anymore if we paid these in full so we found other ways to meet the needs. For parking, there's a few free parking spots from 10 pm to 8 am at the intersection of Hacienda Pl and Fountain Ave. We scoured Hacienda Pl and Olive Dr a few rounds every night, and parked in Kings Rd parking building when this failed. Then walked uphill for some 10 mins to the hotel. You'd better off going back really early on Saturday nights lest parking becomes a nightmare. For wifi, we were able to access the hotel account via iPass. The speed was decent though it's probably not for heavy duty downloading and streaming.

The room itself was pretty stylish but a bit old and dank. We could still see the effort in decorating it e.g. celebrity picture frames and seductive wall cover. But the rest was a bit off putting. First time we entered the room, the air was stale and humid - there didn't seem to be any ventilation? The windows couldn't open. It was much better after turning on the A/C. Bathroom was spacious but not modern (somewhat motel like quality). What I found a bit offensive was the towels - a bit damp and smelled chlorine strongly. I bet that's how the swimming pool smells. I rather doubt this was newly replaced from the previous guest, who must have enjoyed the pool before checking out. No microwave too, which we needed to use then. The windows faced the swimming pool, but so was the case for the other rooms.

There were some bright spots in the hotel though, like nice (but small) reception area and balcony with tables and chairs facing the city and swimming pool. But there's this inescapable feeling of ageing and in need of fresh air circulation.

I may not come back to this hotel, as I don't value the proximity to partying scenes and the parking matter has been a pain in the backside. Shouldn't stop the target clientele to stay there though - if partying is the main objective and you don't drive or don't mind paying the valet. It would be extremely convenient for these people. I might instead explore somewhere further that has free (or reasonably cheap) parking and wifi and fresh air.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bert S, General Manager at Grafton on Sunset, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
We appreciate your feedback. Please note that The Grafton will be introducing our brand new Bar 20 Lounge and lobby in June 2014, which combined with the recent opening of our restaurant Oliver’s Prime means an improved and exciting experience for our Grafton guests. We look forward to your return to see what we've done.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We stayed here last October and after a bumpy start to our US holiday we arrived at the Grafton on Sunset and we were already in love with LA! Everyone on reception was really helpful and were so happy to give recommendations for food, sight-seeing and shopping which we really appreciated. The hotel is in the BEST location and really we loved walking around and staying on Sunset Blvd.
Upon arrival we were disappointed with the size of the room - but it was beautifully presented and had all the facilities we needed so it wasn't a massive issue, beds were a little on the small side too especially as there was 3 of us sharing 2 double beds.
This hotel now has a restaurant which is fantastic but when we stayed it was still being built to it made us get up and walk around and try new places which we liked.
Overall a fantastic hotel and I'd happily recommend this place to anyone - thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for letting us know you enjoyed your stay. Our new steakhouse Oliver’s Prime is now open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and is receiving rave reviews. We are glad you took advantage of our location- the best in West Hollywood- and were able to enjoy the shopping, restaurants and nightlife within walking distance. Hurry back!
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

I researched Trip Advisor before travelling and chose the Grafton on Sunset based on value for money and location. My wife, son and I were holidaying from Australia.

The Grafton lived up to my expectations. The staff were friendly and helpful, especially Mario who helped us arrange some tours. We were checked in well before we should have been, which 3 jet lagged travellers sure appreciated. There is a hop on hop off bus stop close to the hotel which made getting around LA easy. Our room was clean in a newly renovated room. The taxi fare from the airport in peak hour was a bit high ($60+), in hindsight I should have picked my timing better.

The restaurant was impressive, service excellent, if a little pricey.

I'd certainly stay there again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Bert S, General Manager at Grafton on Sunset, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
The Grafton has a great location, impressive staff (including the always eager to assist Mario), the largest saltwater pool on Sunset, great rooms, and now one of the top restaurants in all of West Hollywood. It is always a pleasure to read a review where a guest says that we lived up to his/her expectations and that they would return. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I can't speak for the hotel itself, but the new restaurant is amazing! The food was incredible, the service superb and the cozy, intimate ambiance made it a thoroughly enjoyable dining experience. I will definitely be back soon!! Oh and this is a great date restaurant!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Oliver’s Prime continues to earn well deserved rave reviews as the food, staff and experience are nothing less than stellar. Your review says it all - “a thoroughly enjoyable dining experience.” We await your return and don’t forget your date!
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

The area is great! walking distance to some great places like The Roxy , House of Blues, The Whiskey! Also the service is amazing. Carlos at the front desk goes above and beyond to accommodate your every need. The restaurant down stairs "Oliver Prime" is nice and the food is great. They also offer shuttle service which is convinient since renting a car and parking it can be pretty expensive.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
The Grafton’s location is amazing – just steps away from the heart of the West Hollywood restaurants, nightlife and shopping. And The Grafton has the best staff in West Hollywood- bar none. Carlos and company are hard working, sincere and knowledgeable, and we feel privileged to have such an amazing team. Finally, we appreciate you mentioning our new restaurant and how much you enjoyed it. Hurry back!
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

I had dinner at the Grafton's brand new restaurant the other night and was impressed by not only the quality of the food, but also the decor and friendly, knowledgable staff. It was one of those meals that was so tasty, I had to try some dessert (I'm not much for sweets), and even that delivered. Overall, The Grafton offers everything anyone could want while staying in West Hollywood. It's right next to House of Blues, and a couple other posh places to hang...or if you'd rather stay on site, the pool is laden with beautiful people basking in the California sun.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed Oliver’s Prime and The Grafton. Oliver’s has all the ingredients necessary for a winning fine dining establishment – a seasoned and innovative chef, an inviting atmosphere and ambiance, and staff impressive in every way. We look forward to your return!
Park City, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Okay, I would like to start this by saying, I am hard to please and like things done my way, or I simply am not a happy camper.
This is my very first trip advisor review simply because I HAD to tell people how amazing my stay was!
I was lucky enough to have their restaurant "Oliver's Prime" to open the week of my stay! and though it was PRICEY if you have the money, spend it, you won't regret it!
For breakfast I had the eggs Benedict, AMAZING! I also had a chocolate croissant that was small and overpriced and not heated.. The mimosas were okay.
The drinks are overpriced but by the looks of the restaurant you are clearly paying for the remodel of the restaurant....but it's a great design and a GORGEOUS RESTAURANT!
The pool is really nice! The disappointment was that the building is shaped like a "U" and the pool is quickly shaded by the shape of the building.
There are a few people I HAVE to mention, Frankie, the driver suggested some places to eat several nights and everything was great! He is such a pleasure to be around! Thank you Frankie for the hospitality! Also, also some front desk people who helped me out every time I needed anything or had any questions! Barbara and Carlos! You two are WONDERFUL, I truly truly thank you all for everything! My stay was so great because of you!
I truly cannot wait for my next trip to the grafton!

Room Tip: First floor so you have direct pool access