It might have been grand when it first opened, but when we visited it looked in need of refurbishment (the new pub was still in construction). The saving grace was the service, especially the willingness to keep our luggage for a week after checking out when there seemed to be no storage room available. The location was supposed to be great as well, with lively pubs abundant nearby. Indeed we saw groups of teenagers with partying gear in the reception area a few times. But we aren't really the partying type, so the location became a curse when it comes to parking especially on Saturday nights.
We chose this place by way of Priceline name your price deal. We paid about $100 a night with tax, whereas normally it would cost close to double. Afterwards, we found out about paid parking ($36 valet per day) and paid wifi ($11 per day). Honestly, it wouldn't be a deal anymore if we paid these in full so we found other ways to meet the needs. For parking, there's a few free parking spots from 10 pm to 8 am at the intersection of Hacienda Pl and Fountain Ave. We scoured Hacienda Pl and Olive Dr a few rounds every night, and parked in Kings Rd parking building when this failed. Then walked uphill for some 10 mins to the hotel. You'd better off going back really early on Saturday nights lest parking becomes a nightmare. For wifi, we were able to access the hotel account via iPass. The speed was decent though it's probably not for heavy duty downloading and streaming.
The room itself was pretty stylish but a bit old and dank. We could still see the effort in decorating it e.g. celebrity picture frames and seductive wall cover. But the rest was a bit off putting. First time we entered the room, the air was stale and humid - there didn't seem to be any ventilation? The windows couldn't open. It was much better after turning on the A/C. Bathroom was spacious but not modern (somewhat motel like quality). What I found a bit offensive was the towels - a bit damp and smelled chlorine strongly. I bet that's how the swimming pool smells. I rather doubt this was newly replaced from the previous guest, who must have enjoyed the pool before checking out. No microwave too, which we needed to use then. The windows faced the swimming pool, but so was the case for the other rooms.
There were some bright spots in the hotel though, like nice (but small) reception area and balcony with tables and chairs facing the city and swimming pool. But there's this inescapable feeling of ageing and in need of fresh air circulation.
I may not come back to this hotel, as I don't value the proximity to partying scenes and the parking matter has been a pain in the backside. Shouldn't stop the target clientele to stay there though - if partying is the main objective and you don't drive or don't mind paying the valet. It would be extremely convenient for these people. I might instead explore somewhere further that has free (or reasonably cheap) parking and wifi and fresh air.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grafton on Sunset is located on the legendary Sunset Strip in West Hollywood between Beverly Hills and Hollywood. Our central location enables you to take advantage of the numerous music venues and tourist attractions that are sure to make your LA experience one to remember. LA can be a very fast paced city so be sure to remember and take in some quite time by soaking up some southern California sunshine at our Mediterranean garden and saltwater pool. Stroll the pedestrian-friendly strip and discover an abundance of trendy restaurants, bars, clubs and tourist attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Grafton on Sunset reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grafton On Sunset Hotel West Hollywood
- Grafton On Sunset West Hollywood
- Grafton Sunset
- Grafton On Sunset Hotel