“Horrible Experience. Do not stay in Room 124, 108 or any bottom room floor.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Grafton on Sunset

Offers & Announcements
$50 RESTAURANT CREDIT!
Ranked #12 of 17 hotels in West Hollywood
Aptos, California
“Horrible Experience. Do not stay in Room 124, 108 or any bottom room floor.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Let me start off by saying that the hotel is in a great location, the room was clean and tastefully decorated and the staff was overall very helpful and friendly. However, it is 2:30 in the morning and I am wide awake because the guests upstairs are walking across their floor. Not an unreasonable thing to do in a hotel. But the floors/ceilings are so paper thin that I can hear them opening drawers, walking, closing the closet door, etc. This happened last night as well. I called the front desk to see if there was another room available and was told that if I had called during the day, they might have been able to find another room for me. Of course, that doesn't make sense since I was working during the day, which was the whole point of coming to Los Angeles in the first place. To be fair, the hotel did send security to the room upstairs (to tell them to stop walking? I'm not sure what the point was....) and then to my room. The security guy did acknowledge that yes, it can be loud here. The main problem is, the floors are paper thin. It's an older property that was refurbished to the best extent they could, I'm sure. They moved me to another room, after originally telling me the property was completely sold out and they had nowhere to put me. So now I'm in Room 108. Same floor, however the people upstairs from me now are having a loud argument. At least this is more interesting! The lady is saying she doesn't need him. The man is saying neither does he. And obviously neither needs sleep. I want to scream "For the love of God, break up already!". At least this room is more interesting! If I call the front desk again they're going to think I'm a real pain. It's now 3:22 a.m. Since I have to wake up in 3 hours anyhow, I'm not sure it even matters at this point. I've stayed at a lot of different hotels in my travels - some great, some not so great - and this one just doesn't do it for me. Bottom line: if you stay here, stay on the top floor! I'll never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
Bert S, General Manager at Grafton on Sunset, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and for choosing The Grafton on Sunset during your most recent visit to West Hollywood. I am very disappointed to hear that your visit was not a complete success. Please know that your feedback is appreciated as we continually strive to improve The Grafton guest experience.

709 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
carmel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

From the time we made the reservation to the moment we drove away, we were treated like friends. This was an unbelievable experience. We spent two days at this hotel, decided to stay here because of the location which was terrific but we will go back because of the guest service. A special thanks goes out to Liz, Frankie and Carlos. You made our short trip over the top. To all fellow travelers; if you are on the fence over where to stay in Hollywood and customer service is important, choose this Hotel. I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: we liked the rooms at ground level next to the pool.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bert S, General Manager at Grafton on Sunset, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you for recognizing our fantastic location and Liz, Frankie and Carlos by name. I feel privileged to know that I get to work with such fantastic team members daily at The Grafton, and I am pleased to know their customer service warranted you giving us an almost perfect review. See you next trip!
Hamilton, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

i wished we could have stayed here longer.
the room was clean and with heaps of space and nicely decorated and had a minibar stocked
beds were comfortable
pool was great and the staff were friendly and helpful
the business centre and internet is free to used

the hotel is in a great location right in the middle of sunset blvd.

there is a staff member called hugo, who is awesome and can drive you around sunset blvd for free, make sure you give him an awesome tip

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
We wish you could have stayed with us longer too! Your review shows a collective effort of our Grafton team - our Housekeeping Staff, Maintenance, Front Office and of course our Bell Staff with our extraordinary guest favorite- Hugo. We know you have several choices in West Hollywood and thank you for selecting the Grafton on Sunset. I'm glad we made your stay worthwhile.
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I recently stayed here on a business trip and while the line was long due to a company meeting, I was greeted by a friend staff member. He was so sorry for the line that he upgraded me to a first floor pool room. I was floored because that is such a rare gesture in this economy. I found the location amazing as I was able to get to my meetings without any trouble and the rooms were very nice and well appointed. The one thing that I did not like was the small area where you valet your car… it’s a bit tough to get in with your car without having the backend of your car in the middle of Sunset Blvd. Other than that, I highly recommend this hotel for everyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Our location is also well suited for the business traveler, with easy access to several prominent businesses and production offices. The Grafton has recently seen an uptick in corporate travel, and your review perfectly illustrates why we've seen this trend. Thank you very much for letting us know about your stay and how much you appreciated our Front Office staff member.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I booked for $150 with Hotwire, which got me one the smallest rooms I've ever been in at a hotel--we are talking super tiny! I also had a lovely view of a cement wall, and I was right next to the housekeeping supply closet--which meant that in the morning the staff slammed that door every fifteen minutes, waking me up. I was told that it would cost $40 extra to get a room with a view. No breakfast was included and parking was $35 a day. The gym was super tiny and not very well equipped. Overall, at least, the hotel is very clean and the pool is nice. The location is great. But still, I DEFINITELY DO NOT feel like I got a deal at all. If you want to save money or to splurge, go somewhere else...

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view. Higher floors are better
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
I am disappointed to learn that your visit was not a complete success. This certainly is not indicative of our very high standards and if we missed the mark we will try harder. We would hope you give us a chance in 2014 to enjoy our new restaurant, lounge and lobby. Thank you.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Good value for money and a very pleasant and helpful team at the Grafton on Sunset.
Would definitely reccommend to anyone. The valet staff and manager were very kind when I dropped my wallet out of the car and tracked me down, even though the booking was in my husbands name.
The location is close to Hollywood Boulevard, Universal Studios, not far from the Hollywood sign. A short trip to Santa Monica beach & Venice beach

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Claire, we appreciate you taking the time to share your appreciation of our great location and our Valet member who went the extra mile to find you and get you your wallet. I am thrilled to know you enjoyed your stay at The Grafton and we hope to see you again soon. Thanks for sharing.
Gruenwald, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

i 've been here five days..checking out today... I should preface everything by saying i am only snobby when it comes to two things..tequila and hotels....go figure....so when i say this place is the best kept secret in Hollywood..trust me...I've stayed at all the spots that charge twice and three times as much..including the Mondrian next door..now if i wanted to be surrounded by wanna be everythings and guys that drive nice cars and live with their parents...MAYBE i'd pay to stay at the Mondrian, but being that i have lived here longer than two minutes and I have no need to check into the Skybar to be cool...i say.

.Go Grafton or go home..

.the good is ..rooms are well appointed..plenty of mirror action for ...well whatever you want to use them for, decent bathroom products and lots of lighting...( i am a writer so that matters.) it would be nice to have a real glass anywhere in the building..but when i am paying $120 a night..( hello and thank you Hotel Tonight) I can do with plastic...the beds have tons of pillows, are good enough to sleep in, plantation shutters are a nice affect, and my four year old son seemed to enjoy the art of women's legs and their cleavage...
the best for me is the saltwater heated pool..one person reviewed said it was " kinda small" not sure what she's used to, but you wont find many Olympic sized pools in LA...t also under no circumstances do ANY type of bugs..and if they had an issue, it is most definitely gone or I would of been the day i checked in..

Room Tip: be nice and ask Liz or Carla to give you a room by the pool:)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Go Grafton or go home? Love it. Clearly we met or exceeded your stay expectations in West Hollywood. Indeed we do have the largest saltwater pool on Sunset and we're glad you and your son had a chance to enjoy it. And thank you for mentioning Liz and Karla by name, as they deserve any and all accolades. Please accept my thanks for you taking time to share your positive experience here at The Grafton. It means a lot.

Been to Grafton on Sunset? Share your experiences!