“Great location....” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 17 hotels in West Hollywood
Cairns
“Great location....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed here for a couple of nights during January and apart from its great location the rest was fairly ordinary. The room we were given was next to a laundry that went all hours and also next to a car park that was full of drunk people until 4:30 each morning. The room was reasonably spacious but was tired with shabby vinyl valance, terrible stained carpet and grubby bathroom, all first impressions. With attention to aforementioned items this place can be up there with the surrounding hotels I have stayed at. We were also late charged for minibar that I paid cash for on check out.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from carpark.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bert S, General Manager at Grafton on Sunset, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your review, as a new General Manager of the Grafton, your comments is my best tool and guidance for making property and operational improvements. You mentioned the vinyl valance, well, effective today; we are removing the vinyl valance and replacing them with a new cloth valance. We have also made other changes which have addressed your concerns and are working hard every day to ensure we are meeting and exceeding the expectations of our guests. We look forward to your return to see if you agree.

731 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Mill Valley, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I need to travel to LA every couple months for business and our business is in WeHo. I've kind of resigned myself to making The Grafton my base hotel. It's about three blocks from our location, and its not too terribly expensive. BTW, I find that booking directly can be the least expensive. But I digress. Well, the location is great. The pool is really nice, and they have some nice pockets of hideaway space. But the lesser expensive rooms are really, really small and in the basement. I feel like a serf down there, and the wifi sucks big time down there. Also, the wifi is third party thru AT&T which is crazy as AT&T has a million free hot spots. The hotel has faux-sexy photos over the beds, and an odd jungle theme. I don't know - at least it's clean. Oh yeah, they have a sign that says restaurant on it, but o restaurant plus it's serve yourself coffee on the basement in the morning.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the basement
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us on your business trip. We are sorry that we do not currently have a restaurant but we will be making an announcement soon about our new restaurant and bar that we are sure you will love. Please keep an eye on us, I know that we will become your base hotel…look forward to seeing you soon.
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I first checked in to one of the king corner rooms, which had a great view of downtown, but it was an overcast day. The room was a brown mustard color and I was jut not a fan of the decor. I asked for a change and was shown several other rooms (one with a stripper pole); I finally settled on a red and black room with a silly round bed. The room should've been $60 more, but they gave me the upgrade for free. The room was terrific, and the entire staff was super friendly and helpful. You do have to get over the fact that the only food available is delivery from Saddle Ranch across the street.... but they keep the fridge well stocked with beer and snacks! For a really fun room right next to the Mondrian (for less than half the price), it was an absolutely wonderful experience!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for staying with us; we appreciate you choosing the Grafton for your Sunset Strip visit. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the Babylon Room. Our hotel has 6 themed rooms which make a hotel experience more than standard. We look forward to your next visit to the Strip.
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I must say that i was not expecting to have such a wonderful stay being that my trip started off on the wrong foot with another hotel (which i will not mention) Grafton was a last minute decision as i drove up and down the boulevard....And WOW I am so happy I did!!! Isabella at the front desk was extremely helpful and sympathetic to my situation. Isabella was a life saver! Both Managers Carlos and Sunny came out to greet my daughter and I, and even upgraded our room which was a nice gesture. They also provided us with lots of information from where to dine and where to shop. Everyone from the Valet employees to the housemaids were pretty cool and extremely helpful! The rooms were impeccable, always fresh linens. Fresh Coffee every morning and smiling faces. The hotel is in a great location for dining and shopping. This will definitely be my new home away from home!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
We are thrilled to know we have become your new home away from home. It is unfortunate that your stay at another hotel was not favorable, but we are happy that you chose The Grafton as your replacement hotel. One of our best amenities is our staff, they are always very eager to assist our guests in any way. I appreciate you making mention of that. We look forward to your return home.
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My friends and I came up for my 47th birthday. From the moment we checked in,we felt very welcomed. The concierge as the desk offered to make us reservations at the Sur and when their were none available he made some suggestions.
A darling young man named Frank bought our luggage to our room and asked if there was anything he could do. He told us about the hotel shuttle and told him he would be glad to make some recommendations and also tried making reservations at the SUR. He gave us other recommendations and booked us a dinner time.
He picked us up from the hotel and dropped us off at our destination.
We loved his recommendations!! He treated us " old ladies" with such care and sincerity.
I own my own business and it is rare to find such good talent, honesty and sincerity. He made the trip so comfortable for us. I prefer boutique hotels vs. the large name chains for the special treatment.
Even the valets were kind.

My friends and I are still talking about our experience. Rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Happy Belated Birthday. I am very happy to hear we were able to make your special day a bit more special and memorable. Frank has been with us for many years and is one of our guests’ favorite team members. He has a great personality and knows the city very well which is always a plus when helping visitors make the most of their stay. The team and I thank you very much for choosing the Grafton and we look forward to you visiting us on your next birthday.
hull
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

my husband and i stayed at the grafton on 18 january for a 4 night break. we found the room was nice, didnt like the plastic valance around the bed though, but the staff were very friendly and helpful. carpets were a little grubby in places but the bathroom was lovely and the bed was comfortable and big. the room was a nice size.the air conditioning unit was quite noisy. there were alot of "goodies" for sale which were quite expensive and bottles of water for sale which again were very pricey as were the items in the fridge. and there was a strange looking oxygen cylinder for sale. there was no coffee making facilities in the rooms for some reason, however coffee was available at the pool area first thing in the morning.
unfortuantely on our 2nd day we were involved in a bad accident in beverly hills, the manager brought our belongings up to the hospital for us after the staff packed most of our bags. we thought this was really nice of them. andreas, the bell man, was really nice and always had a smile for us, he drove the courtesy car and took our family up and down to the hospital for just a minimal charge. he always had a lovely smile on his face!!
after our accident we stayed at the grafton hotel for a few nights while we were waiting to be flown back home to the uk, they wanted us to sign a form to say that they we gave them permission to liaise with our credit card company to obtain the full amount of our hotel stay, we bacame a little wary of this as the rooms had already been paid for by our insurance company. after this episode we found that the staff became a little hostile towards us over the last few days of our stay. maybe this was just a breakdown in communication?
as for the location of the hotel, it was really good. the bus stop is just across the road from the hotel and the area has lots of lovely eating places, like the saddle ranch across the road from the hotel.

Room Tip: on our first stay before our accident, we had the first room round the back of the reception but fou...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us on your visit to Los Angeles. We were very disappointed when we heard you got into the accident but were very happy that it was not life threatening. I am also happy to let you know that the plastic valance you mentioned is being removed from the rooms starting today and being replaced with a fabric valance that is much more appealing. We have also made and are making other changes that are sure to raise guest satisfaction. We also appreciate your mention of Andreas, he is a great team member and always happy to assist a guest with anything.
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I actually stayed here for 28 Days last September on a business trip. I think its a very pleasant place, the pool area is stunning in the fantastic LA weather, the immediate view from my room was over a car park but I could see out onto LA. In my room I had a lot of space to myself, it was huge! Everything provided in the room worked well and I had no trouble. A small walk in wardrobe and clean on-suite with a bath/shower. However a few bad points - WIFI is 10$ a day, which is OBSCENE. The walls, floors and ceilings are very thin. Most nights depending on my neighbours, I would be woken and kept up for several hours. The room cleaners were brilliant, WHEN you wanted them, however it seemed the 'do not disturb' sign meant nothing to them. There is not restaurant in the hotel either, slightly inconvenient in such a spread out area. Breakfast was included but I didn't bother as all it included was a muffin, a yogurt, carton of juice and a few other unappetising snacks.

Overall I did enjoy aspects of my stay but for 28 days, it is not suitable.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing our hotel for such a long stay. We appreciate the business and confidence. Since your visit, we have made numerous changes to improve guest satisfaction. The breakfast box has been changed to a deluxe continental breakfast delivered to the guestroom. In addition, we are about to make an announcement on an exciting restaurant and bar concept to be opened in late fall 2013. I was not with the hotel when you stayed last September, but I assure you your comments are of great value and is a tremendous help for me in making improvements in our facility and service.

Been to Grafton on Sunset? Share your experiences!