“Dirty Room and "Breakfast In Bed"” 2 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
SPECIAL TRIP ADVISOR SALE
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Bermuda Dunes, California
“Dirty Room and "Breakfast In Bed"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My sister and her fiance' were visiting from Japan and wanted an interesting and affordable place to stay that was a short cab from Hollywood's "hot spots", like Melrose, Hollywood Boulevard, Sunset Boulevard, and all the rest. I found Grafton on Sunset for them, since I'm the "local". I advised them to pay the extra $20.00 for the "breakfast in bed" package being offered on the website. I called Jessica and make the reservation, and while she was very nice, she made no mention what-so-ever that the "breakfast in bed" would be in a cardboard box and include a boxed milk, a container of yoghurt, a mini-bag of Cheerios, and a couple other 7-Eleven-level items. As you might expect, I was mortified! I'd truly expected more from all the flash on the website. I banked on a better experience for my family.

But that wasn't the end of it. My sister told me the room and the bathroom were quite dirty. She said it was horribly dusty under the bed (she saw this when she went searching for her errant shoe), and in the corners of the bathroom, and that there was a hair on the sheet and in the bathtub.

I had been excited to perhaps book myself and my boyfriend a weekend getaway there, but not now.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bert S, General Manager at Grafton on Sunset, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for referring your family and we truly apologize for not living up to your expectations. I personally apologize for your disappointment in the “bed and breakfast”. I was only with the company for two weeks when we received your review and I must agree with your evaluation of the breakfast box. Based on your review, we stopped selling it immediately and redesigned an appropriate experience. I assure you that today’s experience is far better than what they experienced. In addition, we have made a number of physical and operational changes that I know you would approve of. Please feel free to stop by and I will personally provide you a site visit to see what we have done and what is on the horizon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here for New Year's Eve and think the location and hotel were great. This hotel offers a lower cost alternative to the pricier hotels in the area if you want to be within walking distance of major Sunset Strip locations. The front desk staff and bellmen were very friendly. Our corner king room was great and clean despite needing some new carpet and some chipped paint here and there. The bed was extremely comfortable and loved the decor. Lots of Sunset partyers but let's face it, that's most of the clientele. If you are looking for a serene quiet hotel, this is not the one for you. Will be a much better place when the bar and restaurant reopen. We stayed here years ago when BOA steakhouse was here and a cool bar/restaurant would raise the desirability factor (but maybe raise prices). They need to invest in some in-room coffeemakers because the existing first floor coffee station with Sweet and Low and coffeemate would be embarrassing even for rural economy roadside motels.

Room Tip: -No restaurant, bar or in-room cofeemaker -Unique decor and style -Amazing location -Nice, helpfu...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GraftonOnSunset, General Manager at Grafton on Sunset, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for staying with us for New Year’s Eve…we wish you a prosperous 2013. As the new General Manager at The Grafton, hearing input from our guest is the best tool my team and I have in making improvements to enhance your guest experience. We are working on various options for our Restaurant and Bar and hope to be able to unveil our plans in the near future. We look forward to your next visit to the West Hollywood area.

toms river
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Although the management has done a good job at making this a nice boutique hotel they really need to do something about the sound quality. It is hard to get a full nights sleep here without hearing people walking down the halls or from rooms above, below or next to you. The room sizes are extremely small and the bathrooms are smaller than some I have seen in cruise ships. The staff was truthfully very friendly, but if you are looking for a place to relax this is not the place to go to.

Room Tip: Maybe a room on the first floor overlooking the pool would be a better choice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for choosing The Grafton on Sunset for your recent West Hollywood visit. I am very happy to hear our staff delivered a warm friendly experience and we appreciate your comments.

Bedfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

A big thank you to all the Staff as they did everything to make our stay very enjoyable and friendly, only downside for us at the time was resterant was not open due to refurbishment which is fair enough. I would stay there again as our stay was very relaxed and enjoyable so thank you Grafton, regards Tony & Geraldine April 2012

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you…we were thrilled to have you staying with us and we truly appreciate your understanding about our restaurant. We hope to have an announcement soon about our restaurant and bar. We look forward to you visiting the Grafton in the near future.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed here for one night due to a work event at the House of Blues. Very convenient as it was right next door. Hotel was cute, decor was nice, bed was comfortable and TV was a good size. That's all I need for a one-night stay. Knocking off one star because the toilet had urine in it when I checked into my room. Kinda gross.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
First I would like to thank you for choosing The Grafton on Sunset. As the hotels new General Manager, I am grateful that you told us about your room experience. It is unacceptable to have a guestroom bathroom less than pristine upon the arrival of our guests and I assure you that I will work diligently to ensure this experience does not repeat itself. We hope your travels return you to the West Hollywood area and we look forward to your next stay with us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

A really modern hotel! Loved the decor. The staff were friendly and had a conversation with you. They did everything possible to make sure my stay was perfect. Rooms were clean. Close to everything we wanted. Would stay there again!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for choosing The Grafton on Sunset and we look forward to your next visit to West Hollywood.

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I never write reviews, but I feel compelled in this instance. This is a negative review. I am not being dramatic. I am quite reasonable and manage my expectations quite well when it comes to hotels. What annoyed me about this place is that they held themselves out to be something they are not - a boutique hotel.

In brief:

> Want they think they are: A boutique hotel. What they are: a motel with a nice pool.
> Outdated
> Smelly Rooms (wet, old air conditioners which omit a weird smell)
> No in-room coffee/tea - only available between 6.00am-10.30am at "pool side". I was told to "walk to Starbucks" (it was pouring rain), just weird.
> No glass/cups in room - requested these and they brought me a plastic cup and plastic spoon.
> Internet offered through AT&T - $10.00 per 24 hrs (PER DEVICE!!!)
> Gym is OK - enough to have a basic workout.
> No dining - no breakfast (just a dodgy breakfast box for $6.00)

Expanded/My Story:

I cannot believe this hotel, if you can call it that. I'd say it's more a motel with a nice pool. I hate to be negative, and I was trying the whole time to keep a positive outlook, but this place was poor. So we arrived around midday, they checked us in early - that was nice. No door man, no porter, dragged our bags in the heavy glass door while the receptionist watched us struggle. Hardly hospitable. Valet parking was $35 per 24 hours - ridiculous, but could be justified if it was a really nice place (i.e. in this case, it could not be justified). Myself and my partner stayed. The receptionist was like "so only one room for the both of you?" --- had she never seen a gay couple before? Hello, this is West Hollywood. That was unnecessary and inappropriate to make a point about two men sharing one room. Anyway, she gave us a room with 2 beds, I guess she was being on the safe side.

Anyway, the room smelt putrid, like mould. We put the A/C on (one of those box A/C's from the 80s) and left it for a few hours hoping to fix the smell up. Returned and it was worse. I went to the reception and made a complaint, requesting a room change. The guy said he could only give me a smoking room (we had non-smoking room). I said, "so we have only a smoking room or a mouldy room, really?". He said, well, no other rooms with 2 beds. I just made it quite clear that one bed was OK and he moved us to a room (after making us drag our bags up to reception to only take them down to the same level - that was unnecessary). The room was fine. Bed was comfortable and pillows were nice. The pool is nice, heated so was warm even when it was quite cold. But getting towels was difficult, after asking once, I had to walk up to reception wet and ask the receptionist.

The general attitude of the staff (housekeeping excluded) was careless and lazy. This reminded me more of soviet-style communist "hospitality" rather than the capitalist expectations I had of the LA. They really couldn't care less about you. Maybe it's because this was booked as a mystery room on last minute.com - who knows. I'd skip this place and opt for a motel in LA because I don't think this is worth it at all. They need to do some more work on this place - and I am not talking about a renovation. I am talking about teaching the staff about hospitality basics, about making guests feel welcome and not like they are an inconvenience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, hearing from our guests, positive or negative is the best tool we have in making decisions to improve our product and service levels. I am a new General Manager for the hotel joining the company after your stay in early December. Reading your review and understanding your dissatisfaction in your stay with us is very disappointing. Please accept my sincere apology for your poor experience. I wish I was here to have had the opportunity to rectify your concerns and to make your stay enjoyable. However, I assure you that your comments did not go unheard. Guest satisfaction is my utmost goal and I will work diligently to ensure your experience is not one that is repeated.

Bert Seneca

Been to Grafton on Sunset? Share your experiences!