“Our Stay April 2012” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 17 hotels in West Hollywood
Bedfordshire
“Our Stay April 2012”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

A big thank you to all the Staff as they did everything to make our stay very enjoyable and friendly, only downside for us at the time was resterant was not open due to refurbishment which is fair enough. I would stay there again as our stay was very relaxed and enjoyable so thank you Grafton, regards Tony & Geraldine April 2012

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
GraftonOnSunset, General Manager at Grafton on Sunset, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you…we were thrilled to have you staying with us and we truly appreciate your understanding about our restaurant. We hope to have an announcement soon about our restaurant and bar. We look forward to you visiting the Grafton in the near future.

716 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Stayed here for one night due to a work event at the House of Blues. Very convenient as it was right next door. Hotel was cute, decor was nice, bed was comfortable and TV was a good size. That's all I need for a one-night stay. Knocking off one star because the toilet had urine in it when I checked into my room. Kinda gross.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
First I would like to thank you for choosing The Grafton on Sunset. As the hotels new General Manager, I am grateful that you told us about your room experience. It is unacceptable to have a guestroom bathroom less than pristine upon the arrival of our guests and I assure you that I will work diligently to ensure this experience does not repeat itself. We hope your travels return you to the West Hollywood area and we look forward to your next stay with us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

A really modern hotel! Loved the decor. The staff were friendly and had a conversation with you. They did everything possible to make sure my stay was perfect. Rooms were clean. Close to everything we wanted. Would stay there again!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for choosing The Grafton on Sunset and we look forward to your next visit to West Hollywood.

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I never write reviews, but I feel compelled in this instance. This is a negative review. I am not being dramatic. I am quite reasonable and manage my expectations quite well when it comes to hotels. What annoyed me about this place is that they held themselves out to be something they are not - a boutique hotel.

In brief:

> Want they think they are: A boutique hotel. What they are: a motel with a nice pool.
> Outdated
> Smelly Rooms (wet, old air conditioners which omit a weird smell)
> No in-room coffee/tea - only available between 6.00am-10.30am at "pool side". I was told to "walk to Starbucks" (it was pouring rain), just weird.
> No glass/cups in room - requested these and they brought me a plastic cup and plastic spoon.
> Internet offered through AT&T - $10.00 per 24 hrs (PER DEVICE!!!)
> Gym is OK - enough to have a basic workout.
> No dining - no breakfast (just a dodgy breakfast box for $6.00)

Expanded/My Story:

I cannot believe this hotel, if you can call it that. I'd say it's more a motel with a nice pool. I hate to be negative, and I was trying the whole time to keep a positive outlook, but this place was poor. So we arrived around midday, they checked us in early - that was nice. No door man, no porter, dragged our bags in the heavy glass door while the receptionist watched us struggle. Hardly hospitable. Valet parking was $35 per 24 hours - ridiculous, but could be justified if it was a really nice place (i.e. in this case, it could not be justified). Myself and my partner stayed. The receptionist was like "so only one room for the both of you?" --- had she never seen a gay couple before? Hello, this is West Hollywood. That was unnecessary and inappropriate to make a point about two men sharing one room. Anyway, she gave us a room with 2 beds, I guess she was being on the safe side.

Anyway, the room smelt putrid, like mould. We put the A/C on (one of those box A/C's from the 80s) and left it for a few hours hoping to fix the smell up. Returned and it was worse. I went to the reception and made a complaint, requesting a room change. The guy said he could only give me a smoking room (we had non-smoking room). I said, "so we have only a smoking room or a mouldy room, really?". He said, well, no other rooms with 2 beds. I just made it quite clear that one bed was OK and he moved us to a room (after making us drag our bags up to reception to only take them down to the same level - that was unnecessary). The room was fine. Bed was comfortable and pillows were nice. The pool is nice, heated so was warm even when it was quite cold. But getting towels was difficult, after asking once, I had to walk up to reception wet and ask the receptionist.

The general attitude of the staff (housekeeping excluded) was careless and lazy. This reminded me more of soviet-style communist "hospitality" rather than the capitalist expectations I had of the LA. They really couldn't care less about you. Maybe it's because this was booked as a mystery room on last minute.com - who knows. I'd skip this place and opt for a motel in LA because I don't think this is worth it at all. They need to do some more work on this place - and I am not talking about a renovation. I am talking about teaching the staff about hospitality basics, about making guests feel welcome and not like they are an inconvenience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, hearing from our guests, positive or negative is the best tool we have in making decisions to improve our product and service levels. I am a new General Manager for the hotel joining the company after your stay in early December. Reading your review and understanding your dissatisfaction in your stay with us is very disappointing. Please accept my sincere apology for your poor experience. I wish I was here to have had the opportunity to rectify your concerns and to make your stay enjoyable. However, I assure you that your comments did not go unheard. Guest satisfaction is my utmost goal and I will work diligently to ensure your experience is not one that is repeated.

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

"A funky boutique hotel in the heart of West Hollywood. The rooms are sexy, spacious and sassy. The robes are such a nice touch. We stayed in a Standard room, but the deluxe rooms and suites look awesome. In walking distance to Santa Monica Blvd shops and restaurants. As a travel agent i put all my young traveller clients here."

Room Tip: Higher up i assume have better views.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review and most importantly, thank you for your confidence in placing your clients with us. We appreciate the business and look forward to servicing you and your clients in the very near future.

Toowoomba, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We drove past the hotel initially as the frontage is quite small, but the inside is quite nice. Our room was clean and we a big comfortable bed. The location was pretty handy and there's a starbucks very close to run across to to use their free wifi as there is none in the hotel.

A negative was the $35 a day parking fee

Overall a good experience and we would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us; we appreciate you choosing our hotel for your accommodations while visiting the West Hollywood area.

Fremont, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

i just recently booked a night on this hotel driving back home. check in was fast since i pre paid the hotel through priceline. parking sucks! you have to pay $35 for a valet parking. they dont have a self parking service. they have a small chips, water and stuffs for sale if you use it. however, since i am a cheap traveller, i bought stuffs from 711 to eat while i stayed for the night. good thing i check my credit card bill two days after i left this hotel and got an anonymous bill from them. called the hotel and told me that they will get back to me 3 days after since it is the weekend and the person who billed me has already gone and not working over the weekend. i waited on the day they promised to call me however, i called them instead since it was already approaching the office hours and havent got a call from them.
they told me that the bill was from using the "oxygen" that was for sale in the room. i didnt understand what they billed me for but i did told them that i didnt use any of the items for sale. double checkd my bag and stuffs and didnt find any that might be billed. it felt like they wanted to press on the issue that i did use the items and just forgot that i used them. really? i have been travelling a lot and this is the first time that i will be using the food that was in there. i dont even know how long those food had been there.
after a long haul, they said that they will refund me on the credit bill but i havent seen that it has been cancelled on my account.

never to go back on this hotel again. more better hotels in the area where less valet parking surcharge and reliable and honest billing process.

watch out!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I am a new General Manager with the company and in reading past reviews, I am very disappointed to hear of your experience. Please contact me directly if you have not received your credit and I will ensure it is processed immediately. It is not an uncommon process in the hotel business to bill clients after departure for items used in a mini-bar; however it is apparent that we billed your account in error and I am truly sorry for having done so.

Bert Seneca

Been to Grafton on Sunset? Share your experiences!