“Everything and More!” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   819 N Sweetzer Ave, West Hollywood, CA 90069   |
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Everything and More!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

PHENOMENAL! - The only word to describe my experience at "The Charming Charlie!" I love staying at hidden jems off the beaten path and The Charlie is just that AND MORE! From the private patio to the comfy, yet well-appointed bungalow.....and the rose-lined stone paths to the inviting and personable staff, this oasis left me wanting to just cuddle up and make this my home! ...centrally located to dining, shopping, sight-seeing....the only question remaining is, "when can I move in?"

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Masha T, Manager at The Charlie, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your review MDM1989!

We are pleased to hear you've enjoyed your recent stay with us! And we hope to see you at The Charlie during your next trip to Los Angeles!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Yes, they are dog friendly, but they also charge $100 fee- not a deposit, just fee. Have never encountered anything close to that, and for sure I think guests should be notified in advance. I did call ahead and left a message indicating I would be bringing a dog, but no one contacted me to tell me their pet fee.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Masha T, Manager at The Charlie, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for your review 32810Gew!

We are pet-friendly, but we do charge a non-refundable $100 fee per stay (for stays under 1 week). This is a very reasonable charge and compares to other neighboring pet-friendly West Hollywood hotels.

We hope you choose The Charlie during your next trip to LA!
Klamath Falls, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

perfect location and a bargain for what you get. Just for balance, the downside: firstly, spiders and ants are beneficials and I would not approve regular spraying with toxic chemicals to suit Tastebuds 14 or any other visiting complaint. However, the parking spaces are tight (just have to be careful), the hot water does take a few minutes to come on, it would be nice if they had a breakfast option (maybe croissants and tea in a basket), and a couple of bath-robes in the closet. But it is a delightful, quaint, and special spot, well worth the price. And West Hollywood is the best part of LA.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hailey, Idaho, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Just by accident and certainly fate I found the Charlie in west Hollywood.
It was such a joy to walk into this little paradise behind a simple wooden garage door.
Masha greeted me outside and literally guided me into my parking space and walked me up to the
Most gorgeous and charming 2 story apartment it felt liked was in Paris.
Every need, every question, was answered in minutes.
I love the bathroom with the huge, immaculate showers and the patios belong in an Audrey Hepburn movie.
What I love most of all was coming home from the madness that is Los Angeles and stepping into a quiet, perfect world that you only find at The Charlie.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

UNACCEPTABLE ACCOMMODATIONS! I stayed in The Gregory and found the place infested with bugs. I made the owners and management aware and they said they would look into it. Nothing was done! After finding black ants walking across my sheets, ants in the kitchen and bathroom and killing 4 spiders I quickly packed my bags and left after a few days. I had originally planned on staying 2 months. My deposit was NOT returned. They were very unconcerned! I found out a few weeks later the same thing happened to another guest.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Masha T, Manager at The Charlie, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
The Charlie has never had a bug “infestation,” and it is absurd to make such an accusation. Any hotel “infested” with bugs would simply not be able to successfully operate. We average 90% occupancy year-round with 60%+ of our clients being returning guests. Our establishment is amidst lush greenery, and although it is possible for an insect to get into a suite, never has a case arisen where this has become an out-of-hand issue.

The Charlie management will always follow up with any guest-relevant issues in a timely manner. However, if and when our staff attempts to investigate the issue, the guest must be flexible and let us into his/her suite to further investigate, especially if this is a pressing matter. Should the guest happen to turn management away several times [due to inconvenience], the guest suppresses our staff’s ability to assist in resolving the issue.

When a guest reserves a suite several months ahead and for an extended period of time, The Charlie reserves the right to take down a deposit. And although the deposit taken is very minimal in comparison to the losses we face should a client happen to change his/her mind, it is necessary to collect as we block the room off from any other perspective clients. Policies might vary, but are clearly stated both in verbal and written terms at the time of the booking.

We, at The Charlie, pride ourselves on the personal relationships we build with our clients. We do our best to cater to each client’s need and accommodate their every request. We strive to provide the best service, and create a comfortable home-away-from-home.
Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The Charlie is a boutique/B+B hybrid in an unassuming part of West Hollywood within an easy stroll to great food and shopping. Free off street parking, too. The staff are very pleasant and accommodating, quick with assistance or suggestions as needed. We stayed in the Ruth and found the apartment quaint, relaxing and nicely furnished with an updated kitchen and bathrooms.
Our only criticism regards the appointments. For such an upscale property we found some of the basics absent. There were no facial tissues anywhere in the apartment, nor towels (paper or cloth) in the kitchen. There is a tea kettle and coffee maker but no tea or coffee in the room. We did find a store a short walk away and were able to stock our room for our stay but as frequent travelers (1-2 trips per month) we come to expect these things even in the most inexpensive hotel rooms.
The gardens or deck are wonderful places to sit and read while enjoying your coffee in the morning or sipping a cocktail in the evening. The Charlie is a charming and relaxing trip back to the Golden Age of Hollywood and we will definitely return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I will start by saying the good: The Charlie is a super cute group of little bungalows in a GREAT location on Sweetzer right between Santa Monica and Melrose. Lovely plants and such, AND free parking. Also a great deck off our room, called the "Sasha" I think.

Now, I am an experienced traveler and not too spoiled in my hotel choices. I like CLEAN, a good bathroom, decent service, and some convenience. I am used to NYC and Euro hotels, so an expansion in space is always a plus. I have paid a variety in prices for a variety in rooms many times, so I am not being too bias. However, there was just too much that went wrong to make THE CHARLIE worth the price tag (I got it at half off on living social, I would have been PISSED if I paid full price).

WRONG:
- Check in; make sure you are there early. This may be my fault, but I did not realize that after 5pm you are are your own. We arrived around 5:30pm and they were not happy that we were "late" I could tell. (Later I discovered an email and 2 messages also...)
- We were not told anything about the property or the room. We were given the key and gate opener. By the time I realized that the TV didn't work, (5 min later) she was GONE. No one to help. That sucked.
- Parking spaces are TINY (unfortunately we were given a BOAT for a rental so this may not apply to you!) and hard to get in/out of. You have to back all the way out of the gate and out into the street. Not easy. Actually discouraged me from leaving one night (I'm in my late 20's...a capable driver I might add). This could be a big problem for some.
- Front door lock didn't work. Yeah...no deadbolt. Again, NO ONE to contact after 5pm. This was terribly uncomfortable. HOW could they not know this? I don't believe that they did not know, pretty much impossible. I messed with it for a good 15 minutes.
- They have a great TV selection, if it works. The whole first day, night, and half of second day, we had nothing but a blue screen with a "no signal" flashing around. I'm sorry, but for the price this is unacceptable. I do not go on vacation to watch TV, but I like a little something in the background, and I deserve the option.
- We thought we might use the thoughtfully provided DVD player to watch a film since the TV didn't work. The DVD player didn't work either. We were on our honeymoon and used to live in LA. We were there for the romance....so this really sucked. AND, no one to contact.
- Next morning. We got up and got out early. Threw on the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign and took off. (Didn't want to pick up belongings...left out laptop, valuables, etc.) Well, housekeeping HAD TO HAVE SEEN THE SIGN! It's wooden and huge. They came in anyway. This is REALLY upsetting to me. I can't believe that NOTHING CAN GO RIGHT HERE!
- I finally fix the TV myself later, only to discover - NOW THIS IS REALLY INTERESTING - when you change the channel in the living room, it also changes the channel in the bedroom. I'm sorry, but this is no $400.night hotel. Not even close.

I know it sounds like I am a complainer, but I am truly not. I just want others to know exactly what to expect from THE CHARLIE. It is NOT a 5 star, regular high end hotel. The TV may not work, the front door may not lock (most important!), and housekeeping may not pay attention to your "DO NOT DISTURB" sign. There is NO HELP after 5pm. BUT, it is a beautiful little place in a great location. HOWEVER, I would NEVER consider this hotel against say, THE CHAMBERLAIN. I will stay there again next time, at half the cost. That is also a cozy little place tucked in a neighborhood, with a fireplace in the room and 24 hour help.

I love what THE CHARLIE is trying to do, but first and foremost - all doors MUST lock, and TVs must work if you want to charge the price you do. I only spend so much time in my hotel room, and that time should be comfortable. End of.

Room Tip: The Sasha's front door does not lock.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Charlie? Share your experiences!