“Simply The Best” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   819 N Sweetzer Ave, West Hollywood, CA 90069   |
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Simply The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

The Charlie Hotel in Los Angeles is simply the best boutique hotel in the city. Where do I even begin? I booked the Valentino suite for a girlfriend's bachelorette evening in December. I contacted the hotel's manager - Masha - prior to booking the suite with about a million questions and she couldn't have possibly been more accommodating to my questions or more pleasant to work with.

I wanted to see the suite before I booked it to make sure that it met my needs, and arranged a time to go over to the hotel to see it. Let me just say that I am very picky about hotels and I was utterly enchanted with the exterior AND interior of the property. The exterior of the property is like an enchanted English garden with beautiful low-lit stone walkways and beautiful vines and flowers everywhere. What also struck me was that the property was so quiet as if you had been transported from L.A. to a serene and placid place where a good night's sleep was guaranteed.

So then, do not even get me started on the Valentino suite because it is just perfection. It's 2.5 bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen are just utterly perfectly appointed, and reflect the charming bungalow feel of the exterior. It's cozy yet modern, and the kitchen is everything that a small group of people could possibly need for a getaway. And what few items we did need - coffee filters, some ice and an iron - were guaranteed by Masha to be on-site the night of the bachelorette. The 2nd bedroom downstairs leads out to a private wooden patio - perfect for sipping some morning coffee, and the upstairs master bedroom is MASSIVE! Since the Valentino sleeps 6, it was perfect for our group. I got the room for $600/night before taxes and trust me - having done my research for this event for a month, this was a STEAL! I had been looking at suites all over town and even a Malibu beach home rental, and nothing came even close to this as far as spaciousness, aesthetic appeal, amenities, and customer service.

I booked the room immediately for the event, and Masha even let me take the room earlier on the day of the event so that I could get everything set up. The suite came with 1 parking space which worked out perfectly for dropping things off for the event, and for vendors to drop off food for our dinner, etc..All of the girls in attendance couldn't believe that they didn't know this hotel existed because it is just so perfect and beautiful. We all continued to ooh and ahh over the charming details of the place all night, and when we needed a tutorial on the DVD player and then later a spare toothbrush, Masha was there in minutes for both. And when we finally went to bed that night in our super comfortable beds wrapped in soft luxury sheets, I don't think any of us would have wanted to stay anywhere else. Even though many of the windows face out to Sweetzer, the main street outside, we barely heard a peep all night as it is a VERY quiet residential street.

Between the beautiful and charming architecture, modern amenities and furnishings, and the IMPECCABLE customer service, I'd advise anyone to book at the Charlie for out-of-town guests or even for a romantic weekend staycation (I will definitely be doing this for myself in 2012). Masha made the entire experience so outstanding, I don't know what they would do without her here.

This same review is copied on my Yelp page, so feel free to reach out to me if you have questions about our stay here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

If you are looking for a luxury hotel, and the service and amenities that luxury usually implies, The Charlie is not for you. The Charlie is, however, very charming, comfortable, spacious ... if not a bit funky.
Upon entering our bungalow (the Valentino), its general wear and tear was noticeable. Spots on the rugs, well worn upholstery, and nicks on the furniture. It was a special anniversary, so we thought wine on our private patio would be great. Unfortunately all the wine glasses in the kitchen were dirty, and an ashtray filled with cigarette butts greeted us on the patio. These issues were remedied immediately when we called management.
However, at $400+ a night, I would expect a little more attention to detail, better service and better amenities. Among other things: No klennex tissues in the bathroom. Hand towles but no washcloths one day - the next day washcloths but no hand towels. Toiletries did not appear to be fresh and new. A hole in our bed linens (size of a cigarette burn). No kitchen towels, no paper towels, no dish soap, no coffee or tea, dirty dishes, a dishwasher that had not been unloaded ... I could go on and on.

Did our mention our friendly resident mouse?

Amenities you would expect at any Motel 6 -- a bedside clock, coffee in the room, water glasses in the restroom, facial tissue, paper and pen by the phone ... none of these basic hotel amenities were provided.
What was frustrating is that a little attention to detail, good service and a few amenities would turn this hotel from funky to luxury in no time flat. How about guest bathrobes, a newspaper at the door, a basket of croissants and jam in the morning.
With all said, we DID enjoy our weekend at The Charlie. It is charming and comfortable. Kinds of like visiting a relative in England. So if you don't mind the occasional mouse and the funky worn atmosphere, by all means, The Charlie is an enjoyable stay. Just don't expect luxury.

Room Tip: I understand it is not uncommon to have rooms switched on you upon arrival. Don't become too at...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Palm Desert, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

My wife and I stayed one night at the Charlie recently. It was more than we could hope for. We originally chose to rent the Steve, a studio room, but the front desk called us to see if we cared to have an upgrade to the Marilyn at the same cost as the Steve. We were very happy with the upgrade. Masha, at the front desk treated us as if we were VIPs even though we are not. We were shown around the area, the woodsy paths with lush, verdant greenery on either side of us. Although we weren't too far off Sweetzer Avenue, the Marilyn (a former home to Marilyn Monroe) seemed miles away from the hustle and bustle of West Hollywood. The Marilyn had two floors and on the second floor was two bedrooms and the main bath. The shower in the bathroom was large and had two shower heads. The place also came with a dining room, a kitchen with a microwave oven, a coffee maker and a washer and dryer. The hardwood floors were beautiful though creaky. A half-bath was under the stairs in the living room. Outside had a private gate, a sun chair, and a patio table and chairs.
Overall we were extremely impressed with the courtesy of the workers and with the Marilyn herself. Loved the pictures of Ms. Monroe on the walls, too.

There's no room service, however, so be sure to bring food that you can make yourself.

Room Tip: Before arriving ask if there's an upgrade available for the nights you are staying.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Palatine, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

The Charlie is second to none. Once you stay at The Charlie, you'll never want to stay anywhere else in Hollywood. The minute you drive through the gates into the courtyard, you feel the quiet and peaceful surroundings as if you are living in an English country manor.

Menachem and Masha (owner and manger of the Charlie) make you feel right at home and take care of your every need. They make you feel like you are part of their family. And they love dogs. During my two week stay in the Sasha, my little Shih Tzu, Miko, loved to stop by the office bungalow every morning to visit with Masha. We shared lots of stories together. I am very lucky to know them and consider them friends.

The Sasha is a cozy one bedroom apartment on the second floor above the Gregory. It has terrific kitchen appliances (I like to cook). The washer and dryer are state of the art. The Wi-fi and reception were terrific. The rooms were comfy and roomy and I loved sitting out on the patio adjacent to the bedroom.

The staff are fantastic. The grounds manager, Arturo, is extremely helpful and supportive. He went out of his way to get us settled in and make us feel at home.

This was my first stay but it won't be my last. The Charlie has won my heart.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011 via mobile

I have been with the same airline for 18 years in sales and customer service,I have stayed at the very best and worst around the world,but I have never felt at home in any of these places except the Charlie in West Hollywood
Masha the young lady overseeing my stay was so polite and helpful I was expecting pretentiousness from staff here given the location and quality but nothing could be further from the truth!
So refreshing to stay in a home instead of a room
Very private,quiet clean spacious close to shops,etc
I will continue to recommend the Charlie to all my passengers!!
The manager Menachem gave me a fascinating chat on the history of the establishment,very friendly I can't wait to stay again
I just can't fault this place

Jeff (long serving travel industry employee)

• Stayed August 2011
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Usually I'm hesitant to share the hidden gems I find in my favorite city, but this hotel is so careful in its bookings that you never have to worry about overcrowding. The Charlie is more akin to a second home than it is to a hotel. Pet-friendly duplexes with parking, a kitchen, and daily maid service are only a few of the amenities offered at this charming boutique hotel. Hidden away in the heart of West Hollywood, this place offers the seclusion LAers covet, with the centrality necessary to avoid rush hour traffic. You'll never have to travel more than a few blocks for the necessities (bank, groceries, salon, etc.). But it doesn't end there. Some of the less tangible amenities of this family-owned establishment are: a live-in manager with an ivy league education in hotel management (literally!) who is always friendly, available, and more than willing to help as well as the chance to meet some cool, like-minded people also in the city for a short while, usually for work. Whether you're looking for a short or long term stay, I have no doubt that one of the expertly designed bungalows that The Charlie has to offer will more than satisfy your needs. I'll definitely be back here!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Wow! I had the privilege of staying here twice! From the moment you arrive you feel like you are visiting family.The owners Menachem and Masha and their staff Lillian and Arturo are incredibly welcoming and friendly. They went totally overboard to accomodate. Every day they showed warm hospitality with a smile and they are all genuinely kind and caring.
The Charlie is a magical 1920's Storybook setting that is heavenly, safe, secure, hidden enchanted paradise in the center of Hollywood.
The English gardens are breathtaking. Check out the Trumpet tree and the bunches of grapes, my favorites. It is so peaceful you just hear the fountains and the birds.
You can take a short walk for shopping. Each place had it's own parking spot and outside porch seating area.
The rooms are lovely exceptionally clean with skylights and Free Wi Fi, flat screen t.v's, and all the ammenties of home.
The charm and the staff and attention to detail here puts this place on a Must Stay list. It simply doesn't get any better!
You definitely won't be disappointed and once you go, You'll be Back!!
signed x Diane and her daughter from Texas

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Charlie? Share your experiences!