“Home Away From Home!” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   819 N Sweetzer Ave, West Hollywood, CA 90069   |
The Woodlands, Texas
“Home Away From Home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

Wow! I had the privilege of staying here twice! From the moment you arrive you feel like you are visiting family.The owners Menachem and Masha and their staff Lillian and Arturo are incredibly welcoming and friendly. They went totally overboard to accomodate. Every day they showed warm hospitality with a smile and they are all genuinely kind and caring.
The Charlie is a magical 1920's Storybook setting that is heavenly, safe, secure, hidden enchanted paradise in the center of Hollywood.
The English gardens are breathtaking. Check out the Trumpet tree and the bunches of grapes, my favorites. It is so peaceful you just hear the fountains and the birds.
You can take a short walk for shopping. Each place had it's own parking spot and outside porch seating area.
The rooms are lovely exceptionally clean with skylights and Free Wi Fi, flat screen t.v's, and all the ammenties of home.
The charm and the staff and attention to detail here puts this place on a Must Stay list. It simply doesn't get any better!
You definitely won't be disappointed and once you go, You'll be Back!!
signed x Diane and her daughter from Texas

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I have to say the Charlie is one of the most charming places I've stayed. I always felt welcome and safe and the rooms are exquisite, not to mention the management was both attentive and delightful. Next time I go back to LA, I'll definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

This property is a must to experience! If you are on business and need to be somewhere away from the hustle and bustle, this is the spot. The guest service was simply amazing.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
nashville tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Beautiful, secluded property!.. Perfect for private getaways. Charming rooms among beautiful gardens. Very private....full kitchens. Nice gated parking. Very one on one service from owner.
Perfect for someone who wants privacy!

Room Tip: Beautiful pictures of there rooms on the webcite
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

I have stayed here a couple of times and would definitely return. They deserve a fabulous review! The place is so charming and accomodating. The gardens and fresh flowers in each hotel are beautiful! Amongst West Hollywood, it's a very quaint place with the vines and water fountains dispersed along the pathways to each hotel. The manager and owner are very personable and helpful! Other tennants are friendly, the rooms have everything I needed, and things are always kept clean. I can't think of anything bad to say! Oh, and the beds are comfy!

Room Tip: All the rooms are different, so you could try to stay in them all over all of your visits ;) I'd...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

I stayed at The Charlie for ten days this month. I found the setting beautiful, my private furnished apartment elegant and intimate, and the management very attentive and accommodating.
The property is magnificently landscaped in the English manner, providing the feel of a small English village. Once I entered the property I felt myself completely relax. The garden fountains provide a relaxing bubbling background sound to complete the countryside feel. This hotel is so charming.
I rate The Charlie among my favorite of the boutique hotels I have stayed at around the world.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Savannah, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

I've been in Los Angeles quite a few times, last summer I had to stay working for some weeks in the city, so when I booked a little place in this (fake) good looking hotel in the heart of West Hollywood, with such a history on its back, I was really excited!

What a terrible mistake!

When I kind of checked in (embarrasing reception they have!) I had to sleep in a different room (older and dirty) from the one that I booked and didn't receive any compensation or convincing explanation for this (still don't know why didn't I left right away this hole!). Non-existent cleanliness in the central garden, bugs and spiders abundance even inside the rooms, poor and disgusting manners in order to charge you for the stay, hidden staff embarrassingly difficult to reach or talk to... this not-that-fancy place is pretty expensive for what you got, this place doesn't worth what it costs at all!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Masha T, Manager at The Charlie, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
We are deeply saddened by the news of your poor experience during your stay at The Charlie. We pride ourselves on providing excellent service at this beautiful establishment!

After checking into The Charlie, many of our guests tend to extend their stays. When this occurs, and we have another tenant coming into the same unit, we will upgrade the incoming guest to the next best-available room-type, of course at no cost to them. We do this in hopes of satisfy both parties and reducing the inconvenience of moving guests between rooms during their stay. We will never downgrade an incoming guest from the originally-booked unit-type, and we do our best to honor the original booking agreement.

Please be aware that this is a garden establishment—we have many beautiful trees, flowers, and water fountains that tend to attract hummingbirds, bees, and all types of little creatures. We do our best to prevent them from entering the indoors—but we simply cannot guarantee that one or two of our unexpected little visitors will not enter a nicely air-conditioned guestroom, especially given LA's beautiful weather. A professional groundskeeper services our grounds twice a week.

We hope you will consider us for your future stays, and we will ensure that your next stay with us is nothing less than perfect!

Been to The Charlie? Share your experiences!