“What a joke” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel

You added Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel to your Saves list
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8440 Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90069 (West Hollywood)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hertfordshire, England
“What a joke”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

Checked in late Tuesday evening with great expectations. What a huge let down. the suite we had booked was no bigger than a rabbit hutch and 2 people couldn't possibly fit into the bathroom at the same time! I have never seen such a small shower over the bath, fortunately my husband and I are both quite small otherwise we may not of been able to fit in the shower/bath at all not forgetting to mention therewas no hot water!!. The ceiling was very low with a sort of sprayed on cement look ,painted white - everything is painted white I am sure the white look is trendy but it really doesn't stop a terrible room looking like a terrible room. This really is not what I call a suite and unlike some of the reviewers who had a great view the only view we had was of the front forecourt and only one floor above it the noise of cars and people coming and going all night long it soon became clear why we sniggeringly offered ear plugs by the check in staff. Anyway after a terrible nights sleep we packed our bags and checked out. My husband did try complaining to the girl on the desk but was only greeted with a blank look so asked for the manager. Now this is were trip advisor comes into it's own, Complain to the manager. Obviously used to this complaint he instantly agreed not to charge us for our room, whops suite!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Miami, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2007

My wife and I spent four days at Mondrian, I was a little worried about the hotel after reading the reviews (dirty rooms, cigarette burns, etc.) Maybe some of the rooms have it or the reviewer's did it themselves, but our room was well cleaned. (I was also told by the front desk that they start remodeling thier rooms this summer) We had a huge one bedroom suite overlooking downtown LA, so we had no noise issues from Skybar. The only thing was the bathroom could use a better tub, but the water pressure in the shower was amazing. The staff at the front desk was unbelievably friendly and over the top, non of that LA additude you hear about. We enjoyed the restaruant Asia de Cuba amazing meals everytime we ate and the service was just like the rest of the hotel friendly. The decor of Skybar is so inviting and I was told they just remodeled. There was always a place to sit and chill, even on a busy night. (also def saw some celebrities, from desperatre housewives and entourage) The pool was so relaxing and there were plenty of seats available (granted we were there during the weekdays). We used the spa and Erica gave a great massage. Nothing fancy just a swedish massage, but it felt great after a long flight from Miami. I loved the hotel so much i wanted to move out there. Can not wait to return even with our child.

• Liked — The staff and the scene
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
san francisco
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2007

This has to be the worst hotel in the city. The rooms are smelly. The staff is very rude and snooty. The accomodations are truly minimalist. Minimal is the only way to describe it. There are none of the typical amenities associated with a nice hotel. It's a motels 6 in sheep's clothing. I would not stay here again if you paid me.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the rude staff
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2007

I stayed at the Mondrian in January 1997 and was blown away. 10 years later, it may have lost some of it's edge, but I still think it's my favorite place to stay in Hollywood. If you like to have fun, see & be seen, then this is a great hotel. If you want quiet, ask for a room on the street side. Still kinda noisy due to all the activity on Sunset, but less noisy than the pool side which overlooks Skybar. Pool was awesome on a Saturday afternoon. Location can't be beat. At night, we started at Skybar then worked our way down to the Rainbow, which was an interesting experience to say the least (talk about two different worlds). I personally don't care about seeing celebrities, but I can tell you that on a Saturday night, Skybar was the most packed & hopping place we visited. Special thanks to Justin at the front desk for helping us out with our room. I am looking forward to my next visit!

• Liked — Pool scene, Skybar, front desk staff
  • Disliked — Everything looks like it needs a fresh coat of paint
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Plantation, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2007

The room was bigger than expected, the bed was really comfortable and the kitchenette came in handy in the morning (for OJ, cereal and milk). The room was clean and cozy. we enjoyed our stay at the Mondrian. We loved that we could go to a great restaurant in the hotel (asia de cuba) and hop over to a great bar/club (skybar). They gave us a complimentary bottle of champange! That was excellent. No complaints except the room price....but staff and service were really really friendly. Definately recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Price
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2007

The Mondrian is a joke. A joke made for tourists who want to experience Hollywood, but won't see any movie stars at Sky Bar. Like so many suckers I checked into the Mondrian for the pass to Sky Bar. I didn't see anyone special at Sky Bar. As for the hotel - horrible. Waiting in line for cranky staff? Is this part of the minimalist joke or something? I was at first impressed by the minimalist decor of the rooms. Then I just realized that the hotel wasn't minimalist. It was just crappy. The TV was broken. Is this minimalist? The room reeked of smoke. Should I imagine the cigarette smoke of a movie star? The carpet was torn? An LA party? The towels were ripped with holes... etc. The rooms were small. The furniture was worn. It was a complete joke. Stay elsewhere! $500 for nothing but a pass to the Sky Bar, which was also silly. The rooms are run-down, pale antiseptic white - perhaps the perfect place for a spolied movie star to overdose and die. But not for your vacation.

• Stayed February 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2007

You can't beat the location, right on Sunset in the heart of where you want to be. The valet and check in was easy and we had great service. We asked for an upgrade because someone mentioned they had asked for one in a previous review and the woman replied she already had given us one. The view was awesome, overlooking the House of Blues and you can see the sprawl of LA (a view which I don't see often living in the South Bay. We went to an event that evening so we booked a place so we wouldn't have to drive home). I looked at the W, Standard and Grafton and Mondrian had the best reviews of the last two (we decided against the W b/c it was much farther west). Anyways, the room was a normal size room to me-I'd hate to see the base level size w/o the upgrade. The bed was comfy, the mini-bar well-stocked (my husband had cereal and milk; the bowl and spoon was in the cabinet--very smart to have that stuff) and candles already there (but no matches). The only complaint (which other reviews share) is the bathroom. As soon as I saw it, I knew the hotel was a converted apt building. Well, I don't know that for sure, but it was certainly old and in need of an upgrade. The carpet was clean but if you look at the edges where it hits the wall, you can see that some work can be done to take the class up another notch. But these are just nit picky things--we were there to enjoy a night out and not live in the room. Plus, the Skybar was really nice and has a great view! It wasn't too crowded and had good music.

• Liked — Views, Skybar
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel? Share your experiences!