I have stayed at this hotel during one full month (october 2006). I ve booked directly with the sales department of the hotel, and obtained a substantial "long stay" discount for a one bedroom suite. (I paid 225 USD per night).
However, my impressions are quite mixed. The main thing is that this is a design hiotel, which means it has been decorated by the french designer Philip Starck in a minimalist way, using white color everywhere. In fact , everything in this hitel is white. But since the hotel has been designed, it has not been well maintained, so the rooms show seruious signs of shabiness. For example, it was impossible to close the bathroom door. The toilet door was hitting the toilet and could be closed only half. After indicating this problem ,the hotel staff jut cut out a piece of the toilet door with a knife to make it close a bit easier.
The room cleaning was very bad: we would find reghularly smoked cigarettes on th efloor in our room after the cleaning ladies passed (we are non-smokers..). Teh worse thing is the staff: they seem to be hired only based on their good looks (everybody looked fabulous), however they showed during the full month an amazing level of attitude and nonchalance regarding any possible request, question or critic that we expressed. Letters and parcels delivered by UPS to the hotel unde rmy name were never transmitted to me. I regularly received phone calls addressed to other hotel guests, while friends calling me would be told that I am not staying at hte hotel Every day (and I am not exagerating!) the valet parking staff woudl ask me if I am checkin in, although staying one month, they should bother to remember my face or name.. The hiotel reception , concierge and other staff look away from you, as soon as they realise you are not a rock star or movie star visiting the hotel bar. The "sky bar", which is supposed to be a playground for hollywood royalty, turned out to be just ok. However, this seems to be a legend that the hotel management is very keen on keeping alive: During One month, I ve never seen any celebrity showing up at this hotel , although any lunch at an hotel such as Chateau marmont Hotel , or Beverly Hills Hotel would result in serious celebrity spotting (I ve seen Keanu Reeves, George Clooney, Britney Spears, MAtt LeBlanc, Heidi Kluml etc, but none of them at the Mondrian.
If you give importance to clean rooms or good service, then this is a place to avoid. I wouold have left the hotel if I had nt signed the agreement for a full month. The Mondrian is a "wanna be " glamour hotel with a service of a 3star hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This new incarnation of one of the original luxury boutique hotels draws its inspiration from the serene coastal landscapes of Southern California and captures everything the Sunset Strip stands for – excitement, invincibility and glamour. Entering Mondrian through its signature, thirty-foot mahogany doors, guests are bathed in a sensuous daylight that highlights the creamy whites and warm marigold palette of the entryway. Mondrian Los Angeles also celebrated the recent introduction of three new public spaces, including new poolside cabanas, a lobby bar and café, and specialty curated lifestyle shop, BASE. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Agoda, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, EasyToBook, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel West Hollywood
- Mondrian Hotel West Hollywood