“Super trendy spot in perfect location” 4 of 5 stars

Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
New Jersey
“Super trendy spot in perfect location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

The Mondrian in Wesy Hollywood is super trendy and is in a perfect location. It's surrounded by great restaurants and most importantly, it's right across the street from one of the best comedy clubs in the world - The Comedy Store.

My room was pretty small, but nothing to complain about. The biggest feature in the room was a huge Snow White-style mirror where the TV should be... but it turns out that it actually is the TV. The glare for the daytime sun is obviously horrible, but I thought that was a unique touch and was a pleasant surprise since you shouldn't be watching TV during the day anyway. you should be exploring the area or hanging out by the pool...

The pool didn't have many places to sit, so you better get there early. Expect trendy music and trendy people. There aren't kids running around and diving and splashing. Just chic good-looking people getting some sun and having cocktails.

Apparently there's a super swank/trendy bar by the pool called Skybar and I went to go check it out in the afternoon just to see what the buzz was about. There was a velvet rope at the entrance and velvet ropes aren't my scene, so I just turned around. But the pool area in general was a pretty cool place out hang out. I'm always in LA on business, so I didn't have time to blow there, but would have for a couple hours if I had a free day of nothing to do.

Back to the room... there was a nice little vanity that a female would probably appreciate more than I do. The shower was nice but the water took a while to get warm and the drain was clogged. By the time I was done with the shower, I'd be standing in 2 inches of water. This wasn't a problem for me, but if someone else wanted the use the shower after me, it wouldn't work.

Never had room service. Was working all day/night.

The valet guys are nice, but I don't need my door opened and closed. Just give me the keys and I'll walk 5 ft to where you just parked it. But it was great because I never had to wait for the car. Jut call 15 mins ahead and they had it ready every time.

Overall, it's a nice/clean hotel and I'd go back because it's across the street from the best comedy club in the world and nearby all the food/entertainment Sunset Blvd and Santa Monica Blvd have to offer.

tip: Try a restaurant called "Laurel Hardware" on Santa Monica. It's a 12-13 minute walk from the hotel, but it's a fun little place.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I've been staying at the Mondrian every year for nearly the last 10 years. I fly from Sydney to LA to spend a week here mostly on my own for downtime. I love everything about it, the friendly staff, the fun furnishings and yes even the over the top, crazy LA scene at the pool. Whilst the pool crowd can be very WEHO everyone is super friendly is there to have fun and meet people. Every time I think of trying a new hotel I regret it. I love the Mondrian and wish I could live there permanently. To all the team from the front desk, to concierge and THANKS for another amazing stay.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Hi Sonia B,

Thank you for the great and positive feedback, it is great to hear you enjoyed your time here and that you felt as if it was a home away from home. Please feel free to reach out to me directly in the future should you visit us again in the near future at MondrianLA@mhc.com.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I have come to the Mondrian Hotel for almost a decade, and despite of going through several renovations it somehow kept its edge. This time I stayed again (as before) for a night Saturday to Sunday. I was handed a card at check-in explaining the first come first serve policy at the pool regarding lawn chairs. However since a pool party was going on the place was a zoo, 5 times more people than chairs, external guests, no special consideration for hotel guests. In the evening I was told that the pool bar has a dress code after 9 pm and even in august you cannot enter with shorts, which I found incredibly ridiculous and uncool. So finally this got all topped the next morning: During breakfast and later from my room I could observe that the lawn chairs next to the pool were starting to fill up. The best 6 chairs where "occupied" by 2 guys and two pairs of sandals and 3 t-shirts. I was looking for the pool-boy to free up one of the chairs for me, as I shouldn't have to enforce the policy by myself. After 5 minutes the pool boy finally showed up, but also the girls for which the chairs have been blocked for half an hour (at no given time where there more than 2 people lying down) started walking in. Since the pool boy didn't react on my request, I sat down on one of the chairs, as I only had one hour anyways before I had to leave. So the pool boy called security, a manager showed up, and I got harassed by ever-changing versions of the story (now there was all the sudden a list on which the 6 chairs were reserved for the people until they showed up, not exactly a first come first server policy, I could have gotten on that "list" already at check-in). Well, I finally left, because arguing with half a dozen people about why I believe I'm entitled to the chair doesn't exactly account for relaxing in the sun. The manager afterwards offered to bring up more chairs, however instead of harassing my on my Sunday morning he could have brought up an additional chair right away and I certainly would have been happy to move. Instead he wasted the little time I had to spend in the sun. I check out and left. Terrible experience.

Stayed August 2014
Hello GermanWorldTrav,

Thank you for your feedback this is very helpful information for us as we do our best to improve on the daily basis. I would to hear more of your feedback and how we can do things differently please reach out to me directly at MondrianLA@mhgc.com.

Coulsdon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Personally I loathed it , from the lack of signage , to the 'cool' furnishings , to the over familiarity of the staff ( I do not want to be called by my Christian name by the staff) , to the pitifully inadequate swimming pool , to the ludicrous mirror/TV in the room. I checked out early. I will add that a lot of people will LOVE it because of all the reasons I did not.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Hello bettysdad,

I personally appreciate your honest feedback and understand your perspective of the hotel. If you should ever visit the Los Angeles area again please feel free to reach out to me directly as this is not the impression I want our guest to have.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I stayed here with my girlfriend for 10 nights in July.

Issue 1. Don't come here for the pool, it was completely full everyday when we were there with random locals or it was closed for some private events. When we did go to the pool there is a weird system where you have to ask the guy to get you a seat you can't just grab a free one; no idea what that is about. When you do get a seat the bar staff will continuously bug you to buy a drink. The bar is about 20 feet from the pool yet management feel like guests should be continuously asked if they want anything. If you do order anything expect to wait about 15 minutes for it to be brought 20 feet to you and you must open a tab with your credit card to buy this drink.

Issue 2. You must pay $150 per night deposit when you check in. This may be standard in the US but I have never come across it in Europe. The girl at the desk expected me to have a credit card with $1,500 free on it. I was lucky I was able to spare $1,500 of my debit card for 10 days but they should really email you before you arrive to inform you of this policy.

Issue 3: The breakfast. Avoid. We were in a rush so just wanted to grab so tea and toast. The "tea" they gave us was just awful. The bread actually tasted like cardboard. It was disgusting. We waited for about 20 minutes for tea and toast which cost us €20. Starbucks is down the street. By the end of our visit the staff there knew are drinks off by heart.

The room was fairly standard with a nice view of downtown LA in the distance and it was cleaned every day with fresh towels which of course is to be expected. Only other positive was we got free wifi which I don't think is standard here but it really should be. Of course the room is filled with crap food, water and cosmetics which if you touch they will charge you crazy amounts for; how very "chic" of them.

In summary this place cares more about trying to be super cool and "chic"; you get the feeling more thought went into which music video to play in the lift then into actually wanting the guests to enjoy their stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Jegger2,

I do appreciate your honest feedback. As far as the deposit of $150 it is a standard in the US, we take this deposit to allow you to charge anything to your room and make it convenient for all of our guest. We do have limited sitting in our pool area and we understand that, however we do our best to accommodate everyone, our guest are our priority. Our focus are our guest and our staff take a lot of pride to ensure you are being taken care of. If you are even in the LA area again please feel free to reach out to me directly at MondrianLA@mhgc.com

Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I stayed here this summer. (June 3rd-une 23rd) it was a long stay ( 20 nights to be exact). I was simply visiting some friends in LA, not there for business, which means I was relaxed, and not very strict with my stay. The hotel is nicely decorated. The restaurant has good food, but is a little limited. Specially the room service menu. The valet parking was very welcoming, and the housekeeping lady in my room (516) was also nice, and attentive.

My negative opinion towards the hotel starts with the pool. It was as I already stated a long stay. I was able to get a pool bed only twice. The pool was completely full every time I came down. (Sometimes 10 am, sometimes 11 am.) I asked several times if I could reserve a pool bed a night before, and they told me that they didn't accept any reservations at the pool, but I saw a reserved sign several times. I had to ask Will the pool guy for a towel about three or four times, before he managed to get me one. I had to wait for the towel, obviously standing up (since there were no beds) for about 20 minutes.

During my checkout I called the bell boys to get my bags 30 minutes before I left. I waited during this time, and nobody came up, so I came down and told the receptionist that I was checking out and I needed somebody to pick my bags from the room. I had to wait for about 15 minutes until one of the receptionists went to get them herself.

Overall it was a pleasant stay, but you really need to step it up service wise, and specially do something about that pool ASAP, its what really bummed my stay here. Let guests do a reservation if you receive about 50 walk ins a day in your pool. I understand its a trendy, hip, youthful hotel, but excellent service is always imperative, and even more in a 20 night stay!

Mónica Hurtado Dovarganes

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hi Mónica,

First thank you for choosing Mondrian LA for your travel accommodations. We have made some changes to how our pool area is manage including training for our staff. Your feedback is very important to me. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at MondrianLA@mhgc.com as I would like to get more information from you to better improve our service levels.

Hossegor, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We spent 7 days her at the Mondrian in January and had a fantastic time. The rooms are fabulous big and very chic. The location is second to none in L.A and next door you have The House of Blues...what an experience. You have to stay here if in L.A!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!