“Screwed up Policies!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Screwed up Policies!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have come to the Mondrian Hotel for almost a decade, and despite of going through several renovations it somehow kept its edge. This time I stayed again (as before) for a night Saturday to Sunday. I was handed a card at check-in explaining the first come first serve policy at the pool regarding lawn chairs. However since a pool party was going on the place was a zoo, 5 times more people than chairs, external guests, no special consideration for hotel guests. In the evening I was told that the pool bar has a dress code after 9 pm and even in august you cannot enter with shorts, which I found incredibly ridiculous and uncool. So finally this got all topped the next morning: During breakfast and later from my room I could observe that the lawn chairs next to the pool were starting to fill up. The best 6 chairs where "occupied" by 2 guys and two pairs of sandals and 3 t-shirts. I was looking for the pool-boy to free up one of the chairs for me, as I shouldn't have to enforce the policy by myself. After 5 minutes the pool boy finally showed up, but also the girls for which the chairs have been blocked for half an hour (at no given time where there more than 2 people lying down) started walking in. Since the pool boy didn't react on my request, I sat down on one of the chairs, as I only had one hour anyways before I had to leave. So the pool boy called security, a manager showed up, and I got harassed by ever-changing versions of the story (now there was all the sudden a list on which the 6 chairs were reserved for the people until they showed up, not exactly a first come first server policy, I could have gotten on that "list" already at check-in). Well, I finally left, because arguing with half a dozen people about why I believe I'm entitled to the chair doesn't exactly account for relaxing in the sun. The manager afterwards offered to bring up more chairs, however instead of harassing my on my Sunday morning he could have brought up an additional chair right away and I certainly would have been happy to move. Instead he wasted the little time I had to spend in the sun. I check out and left. Terrible experience.

Stayed August 2014
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Hello GermanWorldTrav,

Thank you for your feedback this is very helpful information for us as we do our best to improve on the daily basis. I would to hear more of your feedback and how we can do things differently please reach out to me directly at MondrianLA@mhgc.com.

MondrianLA@mhgc.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Coulsdon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Personally I loathed it , from the lack of signage , to the 'cool' furnishings , to the over familiarity of the staff ( I do not want to be called by my Christian name by the staff) , to the pitifully inadequate swimming pool , to the ludicrous mirror/TV in the room. I checked out early. I will add that a lot of people will LOVE it because of all the reasons I did not.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hello bettysdad,

I personally appreciate your honest feedback and understand your perspective of the hotel. If you should ever visit the Los Angeles area again please feel free to reach out to me directly as this is not the impression I want our guest to have.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I stayed here with my girlfriend for 10 nights in July.

Issue 1. Don't come here for the pool, it was completely full everyday when we were there with random locals or it was closed for some private events. When we did go to the pool there is a weird system where you have to ask the guy to get you a seat you can't just grab a free one; no idea what that is about. When you do get a seat the bar staff will continuously bug you to buy a drink. The bar is about 20 feet from the pool yet management feel like guests should be continuously asked if they want anything. If you do order anything expect to wait about 15 minutes for it to be brought 20 feet to you and you must open a tab with your credit card to buy this drink.

Issue 2. You must pay $150 per night deposit when you check in. This may be standard in the US but I have never come across it in Europe. The girl at the desk expected me to have a credit card with $1,500 free on it. I was lucky I was able to spare $1,500 of my debit card for 10 days but they should really email you before you arrive to inform you of this policy.

Issue 3: The breakfast. Avoid. We were in a rush so just wanted to grab so tea and toast. The "tea" they gave us was just awful. The bread actually tasted like cardboard. It was disgusting. We waited for about 20 minutes for tea and toast which cost us €20. Starbucks is down the street. By the end of our visit the staff there knew are drinks off by heart.

The room was fairly standard with a nice view of downtown LA in the distance and it was cleaned every day with fresh towels which of course is to be expected. Only other positive was we got free wifi which I don't think is standard here but it really should be. Of course the room is filled with crap food, water and cosmetics which if you touch they will charge you crazy amounts for; how very "chic" of them.

In summary this place cares more about trying to be super cool and "chic"; you get the feeling more thought went into which music video to play in the lift then into actually wanting the guests to enjoy their stay.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Jegger2,

I do appreciate your honest feedback. As far as the deposit of $150 it is a standard in the US, we take this deposit to allow you to charge anything to your room and make it convenient for all of our guest. We do have limited sitting in our pool area and we understand that, however we do our best to accommodate everyone, our guest are our priority. Our focus are our guest and our staff take a lot of pride to ensure you are being taken care of. If you are even in the LA area again please feel free to reach out to me directly at MondrianLA@mhgc.com

Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I stayed here this summer. (June 3rd-une 23rd) it was a long stay ( 20 nights to be exact). I was simply visiting some friends in LA, not there for business, which means I was relaxed, and not very strict with my stay. The hotel is nicely decorated. The restaurant has good food, but is a little limited. Specially the room service menu. The valet parking was very welcoming, and the housekeeping lady in my room (516) was also nice, and attentive.

My negative opinion towards the hotel starts with the pool. It was as I already stated a long stay. I was able to get a pool bed only twice. The pool was completely full every time I came down. (Sometimes 10 am, sometimes 11 am.) I asked several times if I could reserve a pool bed a night before, and they told me that they didn't accept any reservations at the pool, but I saw a reserved sign several times. I had to ask Will the pool guy for a towel about three or four times, before he managed to get me one. I had to wait for the towel, obviously standing up (since there were no beds) for about 20 minutes.

During my checkout I called the bell boys to get my bags 30 minutes before I left. I waited during this time, and nobody came up, so I came down and told the receptionist that I was checking out and I needed somebody to pick my bags from the room. I had to wait for about 15 minutes until one of the receptionists went to get them herself.

Overall it was a pleasant stay, but you really need to step it up service wise, and specially do something about that pool ASAP, its what really bummed my stay here. Let guests do a reservation if you receive about 50 walk ins a day in your pool. I understand its a trendy, hip, youthful hotel, but excellent service is always imperative, and even more in a 20 night stay!

Mónica Hurtado Dovarganes

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Hi Mónica,

First thank you for choosing Mondrian LA for your travel accommodations. We have made some changes to how our pool area is manage including training for our staff. Your feedback is very important to me. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at MondrianLA@mhgc.com as I would like to get more information from you to better improve our service levels.

Hossegor, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We spent 7 days her at the Mondrian in January and had a fantastic time. The rooms are fabulous big and very chic. The location is second to none in L.A and next door you have The House of Blues...what an experience. You have to stay here if in L.A!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi 123Luckyme,

It is great to hear you had a great time with us. Please reach out to me the next time you choose to visit LA at MondrianLA@mhgc.com.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This was my second trip to LA and first time staying at the Mondrian. The person I was going with has stayed a few times already. I booked a studio suite for a Saturday-Tuesday, then Friday-Sunday the next weekend (during the midweek we made plans to drive up to Napa and back). When we arrived, valet was on point and the service there was good. When we checked in though, they said they didn't have the room we booked, and they decided it was OK to downgrade us to a "standard room". We assumed it would still be ok considering the level of hotel, and for our hassle the next 2 nights we will be upgraded to a larger suite than a studio. Before going upstairs, we had a few drinks at Skybar which was really busy on a Saturday and was great for people watching and atmosphere. Once we went upstairs to shower and get ready for our dinner reservations, we walked into the room and noticed how TINY it was! It was literally size of a walk in closet, we would have never booked this room ever. When we went to shower we tried to use the rainfall shower and only cold water came out. The maintenance engineer had to come, he turned it the handle so the water came out of the regular showerhead and it was relatively warmer, enough to shower and he said he will fix it when we left for dinner. It seemed like a huge headache - getting downgraded to a room without hot water - while still paying $500 for the night (and being late for our dinner reservation with friends)! Onto the next morning, the front desk guy who checked us in said we should get a call around 10am for our next room. So we repack early in the morning and on the way down to breakfast we ask if it is ready (at 10am) they said no. We have breakfast and check back at 11:30am, still not ready. We leave our luggage perfectly packed ready to go, tell the front desk we are going for a day of shopping, so when the new room is ready just have a bellman move our luggage to the new room, and so when we come back we get the new keycard and that's it. We came back around 5pm, we go to the front desk and they said they had a new room ready but they didn't already move our luggage, so we had to wait for that to be done. The new room was much bigger and nicer so that was a relief. Although main area was big, the bathroom was still small though. As for the next day (the Monday), we spent it by the pool. The weather was great, and when I went down around 11am to ask the pool attendant if any of the lounge chairs were free. He looks around and says no but gave me some towels. I go into the pool for a bit and watch the lounge chairs and 2 pairs of chairs only had towels with no personal things, and no one was using them so I had to tell the attendant they were empty and to clean off the towels for us. The service for food/drinks at the pool was good, and overall good relaxing day at the pool. When we checked out, we got a $150 discount for the room without hot water, and they said when we return the next weekend we will get an upgraded room as well. When we arrived the next Friday for the 2 nights, we were told everything is sold out and we couldn't get the upgrade they told us they would give us. Instead we got a voucher for a complimentary breakfast at their restaurant ($50 value)... Overall my feeling is the design of the hotel is nice, definitely a seen-and-be-seen vibe, good looking people, party vibe, busy, good location, but the service can definitely be stepped up for this level of hotel. I felt they didn't want to go that extra step to make sure their guests felt like a priority and be as comfortable as possible. Next time I think I will try the SLS!

Room Tip: Don't book a standard room, get at least a studio. Also, view of the pool I think is better.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi AS5000,

Thank you for the feedback, although this is great feedback and I will address the issues you encountered here. I would love to speak to you directly. I can be reach at MondrianLA@mhgc.com.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This hotel is built for the uber trendy; those wanna be actors, starlets and would-be producers who pose and preen by the pool or lounge hoping someone will take notice. That person would not be me. The rooms themselves are built not for function but to look cool. They lack function in and the hip Pillipe Stark designs are, well, stark. There is a huge mirror in each room that becomes a television set. I imagine the Hollywood hopefuls ask the magic mirror for fame and fortune before their trust funds run out. The menu is limited and not very tasty or exciting. I guess Hollywood hopefuls are only allowed to eat one leaf of lettuce. Don't bother trying to go for a swim, the topless starlets have taken all the lounge chairs. Don't go get a drink in the bar, you'll have to wait in line with the rest of the kids. The views are nice if and you may get some rest if you can get the curtains closed. The one saving grace is the exceptionally friendly and warm staff. I kept wanting to say, " what's a nice person like you doing working in a place like this?"

Room Tip: Depends on if you want a city view or to sleep.
Green Features: It has one? Maybe that's why it didn't seem too clean. They may be saving water.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Hello Alexar,

Thank you for you feedback, I will definitely pass along the feedback to the respective areas and address your concerns and comments. Please feel free to reach out to me directly should you ever return to LA.

MondrianLA@mhgc.com

Been to Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel? Share your experiences!