“Great hotel, design, and location, but...” 3 of 5 stars

Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Great hotel, design, and location, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This was my second trip to LA and first time staying at the Mondrian. The person I was going with has stayed a few times already. I booked a studio suite for a Saturday-Tuesday, then Friday-Sunday the next weekend (during the midweek we made plans to drive up to Napa and back). When we arrived, valet was on point and the service there was good. When we checked in though, they said they didn't have the room we booked, and they decided it was OK to downgrade us to a "standard room". We assumed it would still be ok considering the level of hotel, and for our hassle the next 2 nights we will be upgraded to a larger suite than a studio. Before going upstairs, we had a few drinks at Skybar which was really busy on a Saturday and was great for people watching and atmosphere. Once we went upstairs to shower and get ready for our dinner reservations, we walked into the room and noticed how TINY it was! It was literally size of a walk in closet, we would have never booked this room ever. When we went to shower we tried to use the rainfall shower and only cold water came out. The maintenance engineer had to come, he turned it the handle so the water came out of the regular showerhead and it was relatively warmer, enough to shower and he said he will fix it when we left for dinner. It seemed like a huge headache - getting downgraded to a room without hot water - while still paying $500 for the night (and being late for our dinner reservation with friends)! Onto the next morning, the front desk guy who checked us in said we should get a call around 10am for our next room. So we repack early in the morning and on the way down to breakfast we ask if it is ready (at 10am) they said no. We have breakfast and check back at 11:30am, still not ready. We leave our luggage perfectly packed ready to go, tell the front desk we are going for a day of shopping, so when the new room is ready just have a bellman move our luggage to the new room, and so when we come back we get the new keycard and that's it. We came back around 5pm, we go to the front desk and they said they had a new room ready but they didn't already move our luggage, so we had to wait for that to be done. The new room was much bigger and nicer so that was a relief. Although main area was big, the bathroom was still small though. As for the next day (the Monday), we spent it by the pool. The weather was great, and when I went down around 11am to ask the pool attendant if any of the lounge chairs were free. He looks around and says no but gave me some towels. I go into the pool for a bit and watch the lounge chairs and 2 pairs of chairs only had towels with no personal things, and no one was using them so I had to tell the attendant they were empty and to clean off the towels for us. The service for food/drinks at the pool was good, and overall good relaxing day at the pool. When we checked out, we got a $150 discount for the room without hot water, and they said when we return the next weekend we will get an upgraded room as well. When we arrived the next Friday for the 2 nights, we were told everything is sold out and we couldn't get the upgrade they told us they would give us. Instead we got a voucher for a complimentary breakfast at their restaurant ($50 value)... Overall my feeling is the design of the hotel is nice, definitely a seen-and-be-seen vibe, good looking people, party vibe, busy, good location, but the service can definitely be stepped up for this level of hotel. I felt they didn't want to go that extra step to make sure their guests felt like a priority and be as comfortable as possible. Next time I think I will try the SLS!

Room Tip: Don't book a standard room, get at least a studio. Also, view of the pool I think is better.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Hi AS5000,

Thank you for the feedback, although this is great feedback and I will address the issues you encountered here. I would love to speak to you directly. I can be reach at MondrianLA@mhgc.com.

MondrianLA@mhgc.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This hotel is built for the uber trendy; those wanna be actors, starlets and would-be producers who pose and preen by the pool or lounge hoping someone will take notice. That person would not be me. The rooms themselves are built not for function but to look cool. They lack function in and the hip Pillipe Stark designs are, well, stark. There is a huge mirror in each room that becomes a television set. I imagine the Hollywood hopefuls ask the magic mirror for fame and fortune before their trust funds run out. The menu is limited and not very tasty or exciting. I guess Hollywood hopefuls are only allowed to eat one leaf of lettuce. Don't bother trying to go for a swim, the topless starlets have taken all the lounge chairs. Don't go get a drink in the bar, you'll have to wait in line with the rest of the kids. The views are nice if and you may get some rest if you can get the curtains closed. The one saving grace is the exceptionally friendly and warm staff. I kept wanting to say, " what's a nice person like you doing working in a place like this?"

Room Tip: Depends on if you want a city view or to sleep.
Green Features: It has one? Maybe that's why it didn't seem too clean. They may be saving water.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Luis S, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Hello Alexar,

Thank you for you feedback, I will definitely pass along the feedback to the respective areas and address your concerns and comments. Please feel free to reach out to me directly should you ever return to LA.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Have stayed here several times each year for the past 3 years, however this visit will be my last...the hotel has lost its edge, Rooms are clean and comfortable, however the decor is now looking dated and my room was in urgent need of renovating. Maybe, now that The W is opening next door, money will be spent on rejuvenation.
Most staff are friendly, but the staff with bad attitude I find rule. Maybe it is the norm in LA to be so blunt and aggressive.
Situation arose from the start. After a long flight from London, and then time to clear immigration, collect baggage and drive in the heat, I was thirsty.
No complimentary water (unless pay $US 14 for a small bottle go VOSS) in room. Very odd. Instead was told by reception that I could personally collect complimentary water from the front desk!
This is not the type of service expected of a 4 star hotel.
Breakfast: pricey. The packaged breakfast (such as continental breakfast) is no longer offered. Instead must order a la carte, which makes for a very expensive start to the day.
Service: mostly polite, however amateurs. The decor may scream dated designer/luxury but the service is better in Macdonalds..so slow, unprofessional, strained and disorganised...may I please have my toast and jam delivered at same time? Instead, I had to wait 20 minutes for jam to be send to me, at which time the toast went cold...had to wait another 10 minutes to get hot toast and jam simultaneously...total of 30 minutes.
I can't wait to check out and never come back..such a shame as had been so good for so long...not anymore...if planning to visit LA, suggesting to wait till W Hotel opens....don't bother!

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room as the hotel bar (Skybar) and common areas tend to be rather noisy with party-g...
Green Features: No comment as not sure about their environmental policies
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Hello Flames1961,

Thank you for your feedback as it is very important for us and take these matter seriously. Its disappointing to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us after being a loyal guest of ours for 3 years. Please feel free to reach out to me directly as I would like to hear more feedback.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

I have been lucky enough to visit LA 4 times and the Mondrian is by far the best hotel I have stayed at.
Rooms are great - spacious and very clean. Great bathroom products and great views. Pool area is fab., there aren't a lot of tanning beds so if you are staying over a weekend, be sure to get down early. Great for couples, friends and even for a busines trip. The night life is also great! The pool area turns into a bar and the place comes alive. Have fun and enjoy the hotel, you wont want to leave

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hi Amy K,

Thanks for the great feedback, I am glad you enjoyed yourself while visiting LA. Please feel free to reach out to me in the future should your travels bring you back to LA. I can be reached at MondrianLA@mhgc.com.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Mondrian LA.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Stayed here for two nights after flying in from Cuba. Was looking forward to some good old fashioned American service and attention to detail & The Mondrian did not disappoint! The rooms are supercool, spacious and user friendly. They are all suite style, with a lot of space, so you needn't worry about swinging your cat, or whatever other pet you choose.

The decor throughout the public areas is slightly whimsical without being over the top. We had lunch in the restaurant, which was fantastic, food & cocktails. The pool overlooks all of LA and is the best spot to watch the sunset over the smoggy city sipping a cold beer. On Saturday night the nightclub was pumping, with a massive line up to get in. Hotel guests are whisked to the front of the line however which is a novelty anywhere, but especially in West Hollywood where everyone is pretty, cool or connected (or all three). We met some locals over tequila shots and had a great night/morning.

The Concierge was very helpful in securing reservations at some trendy restaurants & pointing out what night spots would be best on any particular night. Definitely hit them up for hot tips.

Lastly, if you want to catch a glimpse of someone famous, you are in the right place. Mike Tyson was sauntering around & there were multiple camera crews darting around over the three days we were staying.

Great value too. Book it.

Room Tip: The view rooms are worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Matt C,

I am happy you enjoyed your time with us and thank you for the great feedback. Please feel free to reach out to me directly in the near future should you visit LA area at MondrianLA@mhgc.com.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We must bid farewell to our favourite LA Hotel, as it has decided to sacrfice its guests to the riff-raff of its noisy pool parties. Whether the economics of that will see the Mondrain outlasting others remains to be seen . Perhaps it will – but not with our patronage, that’s for sure.

We were one of the first users of the Mondrian, and had many fond memories there, such as telling Jamie Oliver to f off when he tried to queue jump us at check-in. We loved the desserts ( the gigantic Bay of Pigs banana split – now defunct) and the frozen cocktails by the pool ( they aint the same now).

After a little “incident”, when a waiter altered our tip amount on a bill, the management were nice enough to give us special room rates for a number of years. When they politely ( but fairly) hinted to us that we had milked that enough, we decided to give other LA hotels a try. But none matched the ( now “former” ) Mondrian.

So it was that we returned to what we thought was our haven in LA – treating oursleves to the luxury of the USD 500 per night suite that we had previously enjoyed at a fraction. Haven no more. It wasn't the lack of a “welcome back” at Reception : even in the internet age, you can’t expect US reception staff to be clever or caring enough to mirror Asian hotels, where a simple pop-up at check-in tells them that the guest has been many times before. No, what started to worry us was that we weren’t handed the little white pool card with our names on, which had been previously been doled out at check-in to ensure that only guests got access to the pool in the day time.

Sure enough, by the time we got down to the pool, early afternoon on a Saturday, it was absolutely packed with a crowd reminscent of Spring Break For Mid-Lifers Meets The Cast Of Big Brother Rejects. They were downing Absolut to the sounds of a “live” DJ, whose Beats would have made an Airbus seem melodious. Actually, we think he was playing "Airbus- the Remix". As for finding a sun bed, forget it. There was scarcely space to put towels on the hot, bare concrete, which we did. “We can put you on the Wait List”. For a frigging bed?

Better planned,they could have fit in at least ten more sunbeds. Best planned, beds should have a sign on them, the long form of which might read : “ This is Reserved for Shmucks Dumb Enough to Pay Over 500 Dollars for One of our Rooms”. Or substitute the three words long forgotten by the Mondrian in the interest of making a quick buck : “ Hotel Guests Only”.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello TennisLovers,

Thank you for your feedback. It saddens me to hear that you were not recognized as a repeat guest of ours, your feedback is very important to us. Our pool scene has change since you were last here. I would like to chat more with you regarding your experience with us. Please reach out to me directly at MondrianLA@mhgc.com.

Long Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This hotel is good...if you're in your early 20s and want to party. I'm not in my 20s. I'm 36 and this so isn't my scene anymore. No matter how old you are, I wouldn't spend more than $220 a night. The decor is cheap and the service was sub-par. My husband and I were celebrating our 11 year anniversary and had dinner reservations in LA. We decided to stay at a near by hotel, and thankfully, got an awesome deal through Priceline. I was looking forward to hanging out by the pool and reading magazines while having a few drinks. Our check-in was at 3 p.m. We arrived at 3:30, but our room wasn't ready until 5 p.m. No problem, we changed and headed to the pool. The pool is the size of a matchbox and it was teeming with your stereotypical LA "I'm so Fancy..." let's take a selfie type crowd. Again, probably fun if you're 21 and enjoy the bar scene. I guess the hotel has weekend pool parties and most of the people at the pool weren't even staying at the hotel. So there we were, no room, no pool. We sat at the bar instead and ordered really expensive drinks, that were actually pretty good. The room was o.k. Again, cheap decor really wanting to be trendy. It's definitely trying to appeal to a certain crowd that I'm not interested in. Check-in service wasn't good and the young lady helping us couldn't tell us when our room would be available. If you have kids like we do, leave them at home. This hotel is not for kids or families. Some positives...we had an amazing view of the city and it looked like all rooms did. Despite the pool being busy, it would be a lovely place to hang out and relax if it's not too crowded. I'm sure during the week, it's lovely. We just happened to go on a bad day...I hope.

Room Tip: It wasn't loud in our room, but the lobby and pool area are very loud with a club type atmospher...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi Travelingtiff,

Thank you for the feedback, we always welcome the constructive criticism and take these seriously. I completely understand and its unfortunately that we can not cater to everyone. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at MondrianLA@mhgc.com and I can hopefully change your mind to give us another chance. Looking forward to hearing from you.

MondrianLA@mhgc.com

Been to Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel? Share your experiences!