“Über trendy hotel in great WeHo location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Exclusive Special Rate
Ranked #7 of 17 hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Über trendy hotel in great WeHo location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Great customer service! This was our first stop of our honeymoon and the perfect start to our American trip. Our designated room wasn't ready yet as we were early, but we were quickly upgraded to a junior suite overlooking the pool so we didn't have to wait around. Super trendy decor, amazing comfy day bed and perfect outlook. We dined at Asia de Cuba and it was phenomenal! The view over the city alone makes this place worth a visit, but the food is honestly spectacular. It's not cheap of course, but we thought it was worth every penny. Skybar is also über cool. All in all, we couldn't fault the Mondrian!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Hi Amanda C,

First off... congrats on being newly wed's! I am sure you look absolutely looked stunning in white. I am so happy that everything was perfect on your honeymoon. I will have to agree with you that our hotel is uber cool. The decor, food, views and service is what brings guests back year after year. Hope you enjoyed the calamari salad and our yummy Butterfish at Asia De Cuba! Thanks for the amazing post and congratulations once more.

968 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Laguna Niguel, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Our Check-in: I sent an email the morning of, asking for a quiet room & to let the hotel know our late arrival. When we arrived (@about 10:15PM) the first thing we heard from our reservation agent was "I'm just about to leave for the day & all these people show up in my line:(" Wow, what a first impression I thought & all this before I even tell him our name." The other front desk person, who had no one in his line, looked and us, and me to him & I wondered "should we just let him 'handle' this transaction instead?" Not wanting to be rude, we carried on. He looked at our res & said the only room left, in our (suite) category, faced the bar and "you won't sleep." When I started to say "well, that won't work for us..." he look exasperated, cut me off and said "if you'll wait a minute...I was about to say, I put you in an upgraded room on the 6th (room 606) floor. If you want to change, you can call down tomorrow." Add to that, that he literally rolled his eyes when his team mate was talking into his mic, while walking behind him, and I almost had to laugh! We, departed the lobby (wondering if this is how everyone is treated here???) went to our ADA room, with an ADA seat in the shower, that looked down at the very noisy pool. It also contained an unhappily lumpy, uncomfortable queen sized bed. After a unpleasant night, we ordered room service, which was fast & delivered by much nicer staff than we'd encountered thus far. We received: very mushy french toast & some delicious french pressed coffee. Since we were in a hurry (like most busy visitors I'm sure) I simply called to let them know about the French Toast & asked them to pick-up our tray. Surprisingly, I got a call back from Deborah O'Neill, a wonderful surprise @Mondrian, who apologized & asked if we'd like something else. AND, when we arrived later that night, we found a plate of cookies and a kind note offering a free breakfast the next day. Kudos & many thanks to Deborah for trying to turn our hotel stay around!!

The 2nd night: I was seriously thinking Mondrian was a bad choice for us, sadly, all day. We got to the hotel, I saw our front desk person from the previous night. Reminded Tyler of his promise to upgrade us to a another room & asked for a change. He looked at his computer. Commented that "it's so hard to find rooms this time of night" which was 9:30PMish (should we have waited all day, missing out on our days planed events to be there at 2Pm then ask for a new room, I wondered??). After looking and looking he offered us 201. You can imagine by now we were exasperated: we did have a king sized bed, no ADA shower and frankly I was tired of this "please just go to your room and don't bother me" I was getting downstairs. I said "we'll take it" & Elliot helped us move rooms.

Last Day: we ate breakfast in the dinning room where I had a wonderful Mexican egg dish with a fried tortilla, rice & eggs made your way. My husband, being a vegan, could order almost nothing and settled on Raisen Bran and fruit.

Summary: this hotel caters to people who love the night life, the lively bar and drinking till the wee hours of the night. It's not for those who want a quiet night sleep. It sits on Sunset Blvd., which is mostly loud and bustles with people walking into the very popular poolside bar (inside the Mondrian) and next door to The House of Blue's from about 9PM-2AM. We were told by Elliot (a bellman) while waiting for our car on the last day, who ask about our stay (a very nice chap who really should be at the front desk or somewhere in Quality Control) how noisy it was and how I felt it really was for the 40 & under crowd. He said "The hotel is striving to make changes that will appeal to guests of every age group." I honestly hate to complain so bitterly, but at 300.00 a night plus expensive valet charges, tips, food and more, we seriously had a very negative experience @Mondrian, even with Deborah's valiant efforts (to try and change things around for us), other employee's made what could have been a very pleasant experience, an awful one. I seriously felt like were not the welcomed guests, we should have felt we were, right from the start. So, I have to give it a thumbs down.

Room Tip: I have no idea~maybe tip the front desk person???
Green Features: I applaud any hotel striving to be environmentally responsible. We do our part by not asking for our room to be cleaned until we check out.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Hello...I am extremely sorry for your disappointing stay. I would really appreciate it if you could please contact me at your convenience so we can discuss further. I can be contacted at rich.oken@mhgc.com. Thank you very much.
Wirral
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

The Mondrian was a really excellent stay for us
Jennifer who runs the pool/sky bar really connects with guests and gets people. She helped us out with an ID issue.

Michael who is head of security also helped us out he is a very kind man.

Danielle who found me some Pom poms great concierge thank you.

Room rates for this hotel are not too bad, drinks are expensive so that how they make the money, but saying that the drinks are fantastic.
Rooms are very clean beds very comfy and pillows good quality. Products in room good quality, water I. Room expensive buy downstairs then take to your room.

The hotel is a music hotel with lots of music people coming and going for meetings etc at the hotel, won't name drop but you will not be disappointed.

They say its people that make a hotel and I would say all the staff at the Mondrian get this and they make it for me a truly fantastic hotel.

Some quirky touches around the hotel that I like to and lived the view from the pool.

Will have no problems staying here again and I'm going to try their sister hotels on my travels.

Thanks everyone at the Mondrian you made it really special.

• Stayed April 2013
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Ciao MrsPoole (Wirral),

Sounds like your visit with us went amazing! Any trip that involves "Pom Poms" has to be good!. The hotel does caterer to all type of clientele. That's why Mondrian LA is the place to been seen (and to do some seeing of your own)! I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us and we hope to have you back very soon. Hope you were able to try out the short ribs at Asia De Cuba….they are fantastic! Thanks for the great post.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

The Mondrian is known for being the place to be. My review is an honest and sincere observation of the hotel, keeping things in perspective. From arrival I was treated with respect and with a friendly and courteous attitude from all staff I encountered. The lady who checked me in was very accommodating. I arrived 3 hours earlier than the checkin time but she was kind enough to put a rush on the room, give me access to the gym so I could shower and provide two free drinks at the bar so I could unwind, while I waited.

When I was able to go to my room, there was an incident but these things happen and it was handled well. Unfortunately there was a cleanliness issue: the sheets were stained with yellow and specs of red and there was hair in the bed. I made the front desk aware and their attitude was one of concern and willingness to help. I was upgraded to another room which unfortunately smelt of smoke even though it was a non smoking room, so the bellman called downstairs and I was transferred again. This time the room was more than adequate and up to standard.

The rooms here are elegantly decorated and the selection of shower gels and shampoos were divine. Some of the best aspects about this hotel besides the decor are the location, Sky bar and views.

The next time I approached the desk the manager was willing to discuss the issue and assured me they would investigate completely. He provided a sincere apology, free drinks and breakfast to make up for my experience.

I have read some negative reviews about this hotel so I would like to put them in perspective:

1) The Pool: there are complaints about its size. It's more of a decoration and not about swimming. At night the lights reflect off the water and it is beautiful. I find the people watching very entertaining here.

2) Crowding: it is still the place to be even after the 6 years I have been coming to LA which says something. Unfortunately that does come with a price and some wannabes and shady characters with money or party people come to stay. That's hard for the hotel to police if they are paying guests. They do have security to the bar at night to reduce non-guests entering.

3) Noise: it doesn't matter which hotel you go to or how much you pay there is always the chance that people get out of hand. The tabloids often report of celebrities and wealthy people doing this. I did happen to hear about an issue at this hotel while I was staying and the staff did their best to resolve the noise complaint with the guest and called police as a last resort, showing that they do everything in their power to fix issues.

4) Staff: as above my experience of the 6-8 staff I encountered at the front desk, door, bar and restaurant was extremely positive. One even went to the trouble of helping me fix my phone and he didn't want a tip (you know who you are, Mr Purple shirt). I know in LA there are staff working at many different places and there are one or two keen to make a buck so I would understand how they would be more motivated to help out those with the 'nicer' cars. Also I would keep in mind that your attitude and demeanor often dictates your experience and how you are treated.

5) The restaurant: it is divine, the food delicious and well presented and the drink selection impressive.

Overall a positive experience. :)

• Stayed April 2013
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hi BellaChristinaMarie,

I do love the honesty that you put into this review. Guest feedback is so important for our hotel and our company in general. It allows us to see though our guest’s eyes and find solutions to make our hotel better. The rocky start you experienced is not acceptable, but I am very glad our staff was able to recover quickly! Our pool is definitely the hot spot of our hotel. The security team does a amazing job keeping out those "shady characters", so our guest can enjoy their Mondrian experience. Thanks for the detailed post and hope to see you in the near future. We would love to have you back.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I usually stay with family when visiting for the holidays, but this time we decided to try something different and stay at the Mondrian. We are so glad we did! This was the most relaxing, holiday visit we've had to LA.

When you stay during the holidays, the hotel (and the whole city) is quieter which resulted in a lot of unexpected perks. We received a free room upgrade with amazing views of the city and since the skybar was being renovated, we received vouchers to use at Asia de Cuba. So one evening we had cocktails in the Asia de Cuba bar and another day we enjoyed a lovely breakfast in the restaurant (with more beautiful city views).

Since it was the quiet season, they were also sprucing up parts of the lobby but the staff did an excellent job of minimizing the disturbance for the guests. Speaking of the staff, everyone was very friendly and helpful! We loved our stay so much, we've decided to always do this for future visits.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper levels have floor to ceiling panoramic windows that offer jaw dropping views of t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hi Hopping-along. I would have to say you and your husband definitely made the right choice. We like to think of our hotel as an oasis. A place where our guest can just kick back and let the stress of life go. The views from Asia de Cuba, you won't find anywhere in Los Angeles. You better come visit us soon and see the completion of the Lobby Bar and Skybar! Thanks for the love.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The Mondrian is seriously top notch! I absolutely love this hotel. The staff is awesome. The rooms are incredible. And the pool is even better than both those things! I would highly recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a centrally located hotel in West Hollywood!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Hello Erinm1112! Top notch to you for this amazing post. I love our pool as well….simply wonderful. Definitely the best pool in West Hollywood. See you back here this summer…because that's when the real action happens. Pool parties kick-off on Memorial Dayt!!! Hope you visit us very soon and, again, thumbs up on the comment.
Fort McMurray, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I've been to L.A a few times and always end up going back to the Mondrian (Sky Bar) for the best mojitos, views of the city and pool scene. This hotel is in a great location on sunset...right near the Chateau Marmont (great for a few drinks) and right near Hollywood Blvd, although not in walking distance but a short drive away and far enough from the hustle and bustle of tourists. I love this hotel, great place to watch beautiful people. Be warned, this is not a place to walk around in sweats and t-shirt :) dress to impress and you won't be disappointed. I'll definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Amber e…. Wow! It sounds like you got the total Mondrian LA experience….and more! The mojitos are to die for! A cold mojito and lounge chair by our pool…Could anything be better? Thanks for the amazing post and we hope to see you over summer at one of our many pool parties. Sunday pool parties begin right after Memorial Day.

Been to Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel? Share your experiences!