“Nice!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver BC
“Nice!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed here for a few nights in July 2012. Overall great experience with one hiccup which I have to drop them a star for. Upon checking into our 1 bedroom suite we were put into a smoking room on a smoking floor. It was disgusting to say the least as a non smoker. We had requested a non smoking room upon booking and actually I wasn't even aware hotels even permitted smoking in rooms anymore. The front desk girl at first said non smoking rooms are only a request. What! Hey if you request a non smoking room you expect one. Anyway they didn't have another suite so they put us in a King Corner which was smaller but had a much better view of the pool area and beyond. We actually liked it better than the more expensive 1 bedroom suite. They credited our account the difference because this was a less expensive room.

From there it was pure bliss. The pool was great to relax all day. The food in the restaurant was great and Skybar at night was great. When back in the area I will stay here again but will make it clear a smoking room is not an option when booking.

Room Tip: The King Corner is nice. The 1 bedroom suite has a poor view and other rooms are better.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Hi MacdaddyVancouverBC. Love the “pure bliss” part! Unfortunately our hotel does have some smoking floors available. A must for our European travelers! I do apologize for your experience. At times, due to occupancy, these last sell rooms are used. Glad a good alternative was found for you. Hope you get a chance to check out SKYBAR again this summer…it’s totally off the hook! Next time you book with us, contact me directly. I will make sure you are well taken care of!

979 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Coronado, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I took my 10 year old to the Kids Choice Awards (Nickelodeon Awards) in LA over the weekend and we used Jetsetter to find a hot hotel. the Mondrian was unreal, super sexy rooms, pool and lobby. But the thing that stood out was their staff. Everyone was so NICE and helpful. I wasn't one of the supermodels lounging by the pool, instead was a yoga mom squiring my kid around. From the desk to the valet to the concierge, the folks were down to earth, helpful and genuine. The crowd was Hollywood meets South Beach with a lot of good looking wannabees. We never felt like we didn't belong and the kitchen even made my kid breakfast for dinner. If you want to get a quick feel of what it means to be a star, this is it.

Room Tip: No advice, didn't see any other rooms. I asked for room on strip for noise reasons.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Well Hello KellyandMckenzy- loved the comment! Mondrian LA has to give you the coolest mom award. Taking your kid to the Kids Choice Awards and staying at awesome hotel…what a treat! Our staff is amazing and they each bring something special to this hotel. That's a big reason why people come back year after year... as well the amazing food at Asia de Cuba and with Skybar still rocking strong! We look forward to having you and your kids back again. Cheers.... p.s. breakfast for dinner is the best!
Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I vacationed in LA last spring. We spent a few days at the Mondrian and it was awesome!! The decor in the rooms is great and the see-through shower is really cool! The rooms(suites) are a good size and I think I remember them having a DVD player, which was a really cool feature. I think there may have been some renovations going on when we went but I am sure they finished. I bet it looks great. The bar/pool is a hot spot in the city. My favorite thing was the couch in the living room. The food was no good, but there are several awesome places to eat in the area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Linsay M- thanks for the comment. The DVD player in the room is a very cool feature. Nothing like bumping some tunes while you get ready for the night! Yes, there have been some new renovations to our lobby. The old front desk area is now is a lobby coffee/bar. Amazing coffee drinks only a few steps away from the elevator. At night it becomes our Lobby Bar for full F&B enjoyment! Also we touched up Asia de Cuba and Skybar. Everything looks amazing. Hopefully you visit us soon so you can experience it yourself. Cheers!
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel is more than worth the spend. The rooms are huge and the mini bar well stocked. It is centrally located and transforms into the chill spot at night. You are guaranteed to feel like a star at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hi Tygerpuff- thanks for the comment. I am happy you enjoyed your travels with us. Any chance to try our delicious mojitos? Hope to see you soon. Cheers!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

For US standards, the rooms are small. The style however is a beautiful contemporary baroque, not only in common areas but also every room is very well designed (e.g. the mirror becomes a TV)
The swimming pool is nice, a lot of young people, glamourous, lively but still relaxing. The advantage of being a hotel guest is also the fact that you have access to the skybar (which is the pool area in the evening that is transformed into a lounge bar) which is very nice and "happening".
Breakfast a la carte was very good.
It's not cheap but fairly priced given the location and the quality.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hey there IIGeno- happy you noticed the funky and sexy furniture design at the Mondrian LA. Our designer Philippe Starck wanted to bring a sexy Alice and Wonderland / beach theme to our property. My favorite pieces are the over-sized tree pots that by the pool deck and Asia De Cuba outdoor dining area. Just cracks me up how huge they are. Glad you where able to check out the pool and Skybar during your trip. The weather has been perfect for both! Hope you plan to visit us again. Thanks for the post.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed at the Mondrian from March 19th through the 21st while I was traveling for business. The hotel is very nice, modern and chic. I stayed on the 8th floor and had a nice room with a view of the pool.

Check-in was a breeze and took me 5 minutes, same with checking out. Internet is $10 per day for up to 3 devices. After checking in, I received a welcome basket compliments of the hotel which had some fruit and a bottle of water. I thought that was a very lovely gesture!

During my stay, I stopped at the Skybar and had a glass of wine. The Skybar is nice. The hotel keeps the poor area well maintained and it's covered by a greenhouse-type of plastic that keeps the wind out and the area warm. The pool is heated too, so on chilly days it's still nice to sit out there. A glass of wine at Skybar will run you $13, but the ambiance and the service make up for the inflated price. Keep in mind this is a hotel bar, so it's not as cheap as a restaurant. At night, they have security going into the pool area, and you have to give your room number and ID in order to get access to Skybar. This is great because it keeps non-hotel guests out of the area. The night scene at Skybar was lively and fresh. Lots of business men and women hanging out and letting loose, but still keeping it classy.

The room I stayed in was lovely. The tv is in the mirror, which was kind of cool, but it blocked the day bed in the room which made the room appear smaller than it actually was. The view is great, you have a nice view of LA and at night, the lights look so pretty and you get a feeling that you're in a city. The bathroom was clean and modern, but kind of small. Nice aluminum sink, but not too much counter space for cosmetics. The shower is big enough for two people and the water pressure was good, but I was a little disappointed there wasn't a bathtub. The hotel gives you a nice set of shampoo and conditioner, but the portions are small and I noticed they didn't give me more lotion on the second day of my trip. You may want to bring your own toiletries if you need a lot of conditioner, like me =)

I ordered room service my second day here. I ordered a bagel with butter and a side of bacon and a coffee and it ran about $30, it wasn't so much the food that was expensive as it was the added on service fees. If you don't want to pay for a huge carafe of coffee, the coffee bar downstairs gives free coffee until 9am.

Taxi's are always outside of the hotel and easy to grab. I thought this was great as I needed to get around and I didn't rent a car.

Overall, my stay was enjoyable and if I had to stay here again, I most certainly would. Either here or The London. If it wasn't for the Mondrian, I don't know if my stay in LA would have been as enjoyable as it was.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hola Justinebaybe- I believe a good tag line for our hotel should be "work hard and play harder”. Seems as though you where able to experience all the great amenities that Mondrian has to offer. Hope you found time to dine at Asia de Cuba. Chef Sivilay and his staff of amazing chefs always hit the mark! The pork belly dish, literality melts in your mouth... it is soooo good! Try it on your next stay. We hope to see you very soon and repeat this amazing trip you had. Cheers!
Hailey, Idaho, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was so thrilled at the thought of staying at the much touted Mondrian.
But it is not what I expected in any way...
A warning here- even if you have paid in advance which I did, you are asked for 450.00 in cash or credit when you check in for incidentals . I found that to be an outrageous number and told Michael
The cold and rather aloof young man who checked me and and asked kindly if he could do less as I was traveling on a budget. He said no that is the way it is.... And I asked what could I do.
He responded " do what ever you wan to do"
For me the people always make the hotel and first impressions count.
He became distracted by 2 young women in bikini tops and moved over to ask them where they were from before even finishing with me.
The manager was cool but a tad more attentive...
The rooms are very pretty but quite cold in the decor.
Wifi will cost you 10 dollars a night and overnight parking is a whopping 33.00 per night.
There are no bath tubs in the rooms, at least the room I stayed in and the television is in an odd
huge oval mirror in the room.
It's important that you know I went to the Mondrian really wanting to love it.
Almost every experience there was such a let down.

I understand it's on Sunset Blvd. and it's in West Hollywood but that is not an excuse for
such rudeness when checking in and such exorbitant financial demands especially when the
room is paid in advance and I specifically asked as a courtesy and favor to lower the requested amount.
There are so many wonderful place to stay in Los Angeles and a personal touch makes a tremendous difference.
To be very clear and fair, Kaysie the manager sent up a bottle of wine with an apology but it was a little too late for this guest though I did appreciate the thought.
One light in the Mondrian was Mathew the front door valet who could not have been more welcoming and and kind.
A gentle note to the Mondrian - put Mathew at the front desk.
I would have loved to be raving about the Mondrian but I can't i in good conscience tell someone
else to go there.
No matter how fancy the address might be.
One more quick note- parking in and around the hotel is insane.
If you have visitors, they are out of luck.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hello Chantal W- I can't believe you experienced all of this at our hotel. I am extremely shocked to hear that you perceived our staff to be less than helpful. Mondrian West Hollywood drives to be number one in customer service and we are accountable to all our guests. Just to let you know, the incidental hold at check in is a procedure that you will find the majority of hotels practicing. This allows you the right to charge to the room without issue. If you decide to give Mondrian a second shot, I will personally make sure your next trip will be what you expected in the first place. Tell your friends to come as well! I’ll be happy to take care of them as well. Thanks for the post.

Been to Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel? Share your experiences!