“Business Trip, Nice Hotel Very LA!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel

You added Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel to your Saves list
Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8440 Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90069 (West Hollywood)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
LOWEST RATE + 2 COCKTAILS
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Business Trip, Nice Hotel Very LA!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed at the Mondrian from March 19th through the 21st while I was traveling for business. The hotel is very nice, modern and chic. I stayed on the 8th floor and had a nice room with a view of the pool.

Check-in was a breeze and took me 5 minutes, same with checking out. Internet is $10 per day for up to 3 devices. After checking in, I received a welcome basket compliments of the hotel which had some fruit and a bottle of water. I thought that was a very lovely gesture!

During my stay, I stopped at the Skybar and had a glass of wine. The Skybar is nice. The hotel keeps the poor area well maintained and it's covered by a greenhouse-type of plastic that keeps the wind out and the area warm. The pool is heated too, so on chilly days it's still nice to sit out there. A glass of wine at Skybar will run you $13, but the ambiance and the service make up for the inflated price. Keep in mind this is a hotel bar, so it's not as cheap as a restaurant. At night, they have security going into the pool area, and you have to give your room number and ID in order to get access to Skybar. This is great because it keeps non-hotel guests out of the area. The night scene at Skybar was lively and fresh. Lots of business men and women hanging out and letting loose, but still keeping it classy.

The room I stayed in was lovely. The tv is in the mirror, which was kind of cool, but it blocked the day bed in the room which made the room appear smaller than it actually was. The view is great, you have a nice view of LA and at night, the lights look so pretty and you get a feeling that you're in a city. The bathroom was clean and modern, but kind of small. Nice aluminum sink, but not too much counter space for cosmetics. The shower is big enough for two people and the water pressure was good, but I was a little disappointed there wasn't a bathtub. The hotel gives you a nice set of shampoo and conditioner, but the portions are small and I noticed they didn't give me more lotion on the second day of my trip. You may want to bring your own toiletries if you need a lot of conditioner, like me =)

I ordered room service my second day here. I ordered a bagel with butter and a side of bacon and a coffee and it ran about $30, it wasn't so much the food that was expensive as it was the added on service fees. If you don't want to pay for a huge carafe of coffee, the coffee bar downstairs gives free coffee until 9am.

Taxi's are always outside of the hotel and easy to grab. I thought this was great as I needed to get around and I didn't rent a car.

Overall, my stay was enjoyable and if I had to stay here again, I most certainly would. Either here or The London. If it wasn't for the Mondrian, I don't know if my stay in LA would have been as enjoyable as it was.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Daniel G, Guest Experience Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Hola Justinebaybe- I believe a good tag line for our hotel should be "work hard and play harder”. Seems as though you where able to experience all the great amenities that Mondrian has to offer. Hope you found time to dine at Asia de Cuba. Chef Sivilay and his staff of amazing chefs always hit the mark! The pork belly dish, literality melts in your mouth... it is soooo good! Try it on your next stay. We hope to see you very soon and repeat this amazing trip you had. Cheers!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Hailey, Idaho, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was so thrilled at the thought of staying at the much touted Mondrian.
But it is not what I expected in any way...
A warning here- even if you have paid in advance which I did, you are asked for 450.00 in cash or credit when you check in for incidentals . I found that to be an outrageous number and told Michael
The cold and rather aloof young man who checked me and and asked kindly if he could do less as I was traveling on a budget. He said no that is the way it is.... And I asked what could I do.
He responded " do what ever you wan to do"
For me the people always make the hotel and first impressions count.
He became distracted by 2 young women in bikini tops and moved over to ask them where they were from before even finishing with me.
The manager was cool but a tad more attentive...
The rooms are very pretty but quite cold in the decor.
Wifi will cost you 10 dollars a night and overnight parking is a whopping 33.00 per night.
There are no bath tubs in the rooms, at least the room I stayed in and the television is in an odd
huge oval mirror in the room.
It's important that you know I went to the Mondrian really wanting to love it.
Almost every experience there was such a let down.

I understand it's on Sunset Blvd. and it's in West Hollywood but that is not an excuse for
such rudeness when checking in and such exorbitant financial demands especially when the
room is paid in advance and I specifically asked as a courtesy and favor to lower the requested amount.
There are so many wonderful place to stay in Los Angeles and a personal touch makes a tremendous difference.
To be very clear and fair, Kaysie the manager sent up a bottle of wine with an apology but it was a little too late for this guest though I did appreciate the thought.
One light in the Mondrian was Mathew the front door valet who could not have been more welcoming and and kind.
A gentle note to the Mondrian - put Mathew at the front desk.
I would have loved to be raving about the Mondrian but I can't i in good conscience tell someone
else to go there.
No matter how fancy the address might be.
One more quick note- parking in and around the hotel is insane.
If you have visitors, they are out of luck.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hello Chantal W- I can't believe you experienced all of this at our hotel. I am extremely shocked to hear that you perceived our staff to be less than helpful. Mondrian West Hollywood drives to be number one in customer service and we are accountable to all our guests. Just to let you know, the incidental hold at check in is a procedure that you will find the majority of hotels practicing. This allows you the right to charge to the room without issue. If you decide to give Mondrian a second shot, I will personally make sure your next trip will be what you expected in the first place. Tell your friends to come as well! I’ll be happy to take care of them as well. Thanks for the post.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I have stayed in both downtown LA & west Hollywood and by far our stay at the Mondrian was the best. When we arrived first thing in the morning after a long flight they offered us a great room on the top floor next to the penthouse with an amazing view. The room was great airy, spacious and very clean. Pool bar was a great place to wind down after a day out. At times the crowd was a little pretentious but it's a real proper hollywood experience and we loved it! PS. be aware of the valet parking costs as we weren't told there is no car park we ended up with a surprise extra $100 on our bill

Room Tip: If you're going to be above the pool get a high room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi ams002- sounds like you chose the right hotel for your trip! Mondrian LA is the only hotel I know to have amazing amenities like Asia de Cuba, Skybar and our new lobby bar. The views at our hotel are by far the best in all of West Hollywood. Very glad your trip was memorable and look forward to seeing you in the near future.
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Just got back from a week in LA. I never stayed at the Mondrian before but wanted to give it a shot. Some of the nicest rooms I have ever seen. Loved the living room area, and rotating mirror-TV. The bathroom was kind of out of place, boring and out dated compared to the rest of the room. But nonetheless this was a really nice place.

Pool scene got crowded on the weekend, but it is what it is. NO complaints about that. Asia de Cuba was excellent, and the Drinks were nice and strong.

Only problem I did have was the whole valet-only parking situation. I was in and out all day long and it got kind of annoying to have to check the car in only to have to wait for it again 2hrs later. Some hotels on the strip offer both valet and self park which would be awesome at this place.

All in all I would come back here 100%

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hello mrdigi- glad you decided to stay with us! Good call! Gotta, love the Alice and Wonderland rotating mirror/television in the room. Just adds to the fantasy of the hotel. The pool is a very popular spot; especially when the weather is gorgeous out. I hope you where able to grab a chair and enjoy one of our signature drinks while you were here. Thanks for taking the time to write a comment.
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Beautiful rooms.
If you like partying, try to get a room with a balcony overlooking the pool. Good time in the summer.
-Valet parking is very expensive due to the lack of parking in the area.
-They need to do a better job of keeping the riff raff out that comes into the hotel for the pool parties. Sometimes feels like they cater to the Ed Hardy crowd.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Daniel G, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
All the view at Mondrian LA are spectacular. I do agree, the ones with the balcony are really cool. Especially over summer like you said. Hope you will be back soon to join in the summer festivities. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is the third time I have stayed here and each time has been superb. The staff are very friendly and helpful and they really go out of their way to make you feel welcome - from the valet parking guys to the reception to the bar staff - they are all just the right side of friendly without being false.

It seems I get upgraded every time I come here too and my room was big enough to accommodate a small choir!

Food was good and well presented and, of course, the Sky Bar is legendary - perfect for spotting the shallow and self-absorbed. Great fun!

I'm struggling to find a negative TBH. I guess the valet parking is a bit steep at $35 a day but that's the best I can do.

All in all I would highly recommend the place - whether it is business or pleasure, it will suit you fine.

Room Tip: In my experience there is little difference between a room overlooking the pool and a room overlooki...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Yes...Skybar is legendary! The chefs at Asia de Cuba always amazing me, with the quality food they put out daily and the presentation that the chefs do with the food. Never ceases to amazing me. We love your commitment with Mondrian LA and would love you back anytime. Thanks for the post.
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Greeted at desk by friendly and unpretentious clerk.

Deluxe suite was decent, although it seemed like a buzz are use of space. Huge useless room with a wetbar and desk.

Bathroom was nice, but missing seemingly easy upgrades. Tub was great, but could have jets.

Bathrobe had several hairs in them.

Bed was a HUGE disappointment. Not comfortable, no substance to them, and squeaky every time you move. Are these blow up beds?

Great service, decent rooms, needs better attention to details.

• Stayed March 2013
Daniel G, Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Even though it sounds like you had a few hiccups during your stay, I hope you where able to dine at Asia de Cuba where we have amazing sushi like our spicy lobster dish (my favorite) or even have a few drinks pool side at Skybar, where you have amazing views of the city. Next time you stay with us, we will make sure you have a few drinks on the house. Thanks for the response.

Been to Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel? Share your experiences!