“Brilliant Week at the Mondrian” 5 of 5 stars

Exclusive Special Rate
Ranked #8 of 17 hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Week at the Mondrian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have just come back from our honeymoon which included a week at the Mondrian (and 4 nights at their sister hotel The Clift in San Francisco). We had a great week in LA!

When we arrived, I was a little worried about the location (given we had just come from Bellagio in Vegas), but quickly could see the cool West Hollywood vibe outside. The hotel was just lovely! The reception team (I think it was Richard??) had upgraded us to a beautiful room on the 9th Floor and even brought us a surprise bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries that evening!

The room itself was very large with a kitchen area, lounge area, massive bathroom and enormous super king bed. The TV was in an interesting (and v different) casing that had a light around it (which you switched off at the wall! laughed when read comment below from other review!).

The Skybar was very welcoming and the waiters in the restaurant were a good laugh. We didn't use the pool so can't comment on that.

All in all a great week, very easy team to talk to and the valet guys were always welcoming when fetching or taking our car. Yes it was $33 per night to park the car, but this is comparable and more expensive in San Francisco, so we knew to expect this.

In terms of location, there is a fab cafe nearby, plus Mels Diner (see guidebooks), plus lots of fab shops to look in. We walked to Beverley Hills from the hotel on one day which was fab! The only drawback with LA in general is everywhere is a drive, there is no "main centre", unless you count Beverley Hills, but thats not really realistic.

So, we wanted to put a review on here to say a MASSIVE thanks to the team for helping to make our honeymoon extra special! Thanks guys!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Sunset Boulevard side as I could imagine the skybar could be noisy. Also go h...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for finishing up your Honeymoon with us! We are so happy you had a great experience..exactly what we strive for each and every day. Sorry you missed out on the pool..amazing drinks and great poolside food. Maybe this summer? Again, thank you so much and see you soon.

978 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Once a hip contemporary spot in West Hollywood, Mondrian has lost the essentials of hospitality industry. Based on my experience from few years ago, I decided to stay here for New year eve The hotel website was not fucntioning well for making reservation for few days in row. I called 1-800 number. The agent assured me that guest hotels are entitled to particpate in new year's party without extra cost, which ended up not being correct. The bed was old and uncomfortable. The poor lightning of the hallways which might have been cool few years ago, only help to cover stains and dirt on the carpets. They played such a game of cost change with me on phone, that I ended up getting this room from a third party with less price. Sadly enough, even with discounted rate, it was so not worth the money. The rooms do not have coffee maker, standard rooms are small. Going hand in hand, the party at Sky bar was average at best. Definitely less happening than many other events at that neighborhood. The only positive note here is the location, but there are so many better options nowadays. I wish I had stayed NYE night at London hotel like the nights before that, which is a true luxury hotel in the same neighborhood. Having said that, Mondrian is at a 3 star hotel level surving on previous reputation as a cool party hotel and if you can get a standard room for less than $ 250, it will be descent deal.
For the ones who have never been in this hotel, you should be warned that there is no true closet, a curtain separate a small storing space for the room, there will be an annoying red light around TV/mirror in bed room reminding of old brothel house which might be coola decade ago and so not cool nowadays. The pool has never been a real pool, very small and has been always an excuse to meet, though the crowd is changing too. The front desk lady was amazingly polite and professional but that was distorted by the interruption of the other agent who answered my concern by simply saying"Oh you made reservation through booking.com" as if the dollar spent there (about $400 a night) is not valuable.
I am personally sorry that Mondrian LA has gone down that fast, but happy to see there are few better options are just around the corner.

Room Tip: Parking is $32, so packages are soemtimes better deal. It is not comparable to many other Morgan hot...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family stayed at the Mondrian for 2 nights. Our room rate $369.00, but this does not include the West Hollywood tax of 14% per night and $33 a night for parking if you have a car. Keep in mind, your bill for the room each night will be much more than the room rate.

We made reservations at Asia de Cuba for our first night, and although the restaurant has a beautiful view, you will most likely have a better view from your room. We canceled and went to a local restaurant instead. It was a good choice. There are so many great restaurants in West Hollywood.

The Sky Bar fell a little flat for us. We came in early, around 5 to have a pre-dinner drink, and the women who served us had a wanna be actor attitude complete with a yoga hard body. When sober, you realize paying $14 for a small martini in a plastic glass is not fun, especially when it comes with a side of attitude.

We came came back to Sky Bar after dinner and it was pumping and great fun for people watching (think Shaws of Sunset) and our server was nicer this time. Probably because we were acting normal and we were polite.

The rooms are okay, I thought a bit dated and there is no coffee maker in the room, but the real gem of this place is the convenient location. The concierge was helpful (gentleman with horn rimmed glasses and blonde hair-nice guy) and the front desk personable. I should also mention, our shower had not been cleaned and we had to have housekeeping come and do so before we could take showers....this at over $369.00/night??

Next time, we'll be going somewhere else, but it was fun for a first time experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thanks for the review..always appreciate constructive feedback. Sorry to read that you cancelled your reservation at Asia De Cuba. It does have a sweeping view over the West Hollywood and Beverly Hills area (goes great with the short ribs and lobster mashed potatoes)! Maybe you will get a chance to dine next time around. Thanks again for your comments.
milano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

During our staying in usa, this was the 4th morgan hotel we have visited. They never fail the expectations!. The hotel is very comfortable and the bar and restaurant are really charming. The staff is extremely friendly. There is a comfortable valet parking, a good fitness center (open 24hrs) and the room is provided of whatever you would need during your staying. The location is excellent.
We experienced a problem with the room late after dinner and the staff did all their best to solve it and they also offered compensation for it. Definetely i would come back and i confirm that morgan's hotels meet the expectations of their guests.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Hello Milano! So very happy you enjoyed you stay with us recently. Aside from the one hiccup seems you truly had a great time. Hope you got to enjoy our Room Sevice as well. It is provided by Asia De Cuba and is amazing!!! Available 24 hours for you in room dining pleasure. Hope to have you back with us again very soon.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This hotel room was an absolute surprise, it was gorgeous, truly beautiful. The pool area was lovely, but not one to swim in unless you had a hollywood body... the wanna be's all hang out here trying to out do each other. Was good for a laugh. The drinks and food around the pool were lovely. The restaurant was expensive but worth every cent, the food was amazing! For the price, this hotel is truly lovely. Short walk to many other places to eat too and right next door to the House of Blues.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Hello Pam...so now you know what Hollywood is all about! Glad you loved our ambiance and food. We will expect you back very soon!
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

It was quite disappointing to stay at the Mondrian Los Angeles -- a supposedly higher end, design hotel. Rather, this place felt like a bad attempt at a designer budget hotel -- think Ace Hotels but worse. Checking in at 1am, the man at the front desk took about half an hour, saying the system was really slow and then telling me and my travel companion that the room we booked wasn't available. We had booked a "Deluxe Corner Suite" and were being told we'd have to be put in a "Studio Double" for the first night. Perhaps these rooms were similar but it certainly sounded like a down-grade. (Checking the website later, the Studio Double is advertised as 50 sq ft smaller and only has one wall of windows, not two -- so i would consider it a downgrade.) I asked if these rooms were the same quality and the man at the front desk totally dismissed my question and said, "yeah they're the same room...you're paying a low rate for any of the rooms here anyway." OK, yes, I had booked through a "sale site" online, but I was still paying over $250 per night per room, so please sir don't try to imply that I should be pleased just to take any room you offer. In the end, our room WAS available. We rush to get a drink at the bar before last call, and wow -- these are the worst drinks I've ever had. Getting to the bar, about eight servers/bartenders/employees completely ignore me and my two friends, which is rather indicative of the "too cool" attitude the employees have at this hotel. I had the worst gin and tonic of my life here ($19), and how do you mess up a g+t? Make it taste like a gin and flat-soda. It was so bad I even asked the bartender if this was my drink because it didn't taste like tonic water. His response: "Sometimes it tastes different coming out of the gun." Well, it tastes horrible, so perhaps you should rethink that tonic water gun. Another night both my friend and I had to return to the front desk because neither of our keys to the room worked. The front desk guy there asked if we'd put them near our cell-phones, because they are easily deactivated that way. We both stared at him blankly because we had been putting our keys in our purses (along with cell-phones, yes) and now this guy was advising we put our keys in our back pockets. The room itself (the suite, ahem) was a good size, bright and clean. Housekeeping only replaced our shampoo/conditioner/body wash once despite staying for four nights, which was a bit stingy for two women. And they never replenished the moisturizer. In the end, I would not stay here at this location again. It's trying to be luxury, but it's not quite there yet.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Laura,

Really hope to win you back. Think you will love what we have recently done with Skybar and our new Cabana's. Feel free to contact me and I'll ensure you are well looked after!!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed at the Mondrian for five nights on November 2012. My stay was close to perfection from check in to check out. The entire staff was extremely friendly and helpful (allowing me to check in before the official time). I stayed on the 8th floor in a large room facing Sunset. The room was amazing: the most comfortable bed, great amenities and a nice sitting area. Though I was told the windows in my room were recently replaced to block out the street noise, I have to admit that early morning you could still hear a bit the traffic and garbage trucks. I was not bothered by that but if you are a very light sleeper I would ask for a room facing the other way. I got a package that included breakfast. The breakfast is prepared by the restaurant situated on the ground floor and the food was unbelievable. One thing to mind is that the package in fact allows for $25 per person for a breakfast order and it is rather difficult to stay within this budget with the restaurant prices so if you wish to have a full breakfast you should be prepared to add between $10-$20 per person depending on what you order. To sum up, one of the best hotels, would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
If you think our breakfast is unbelieveable you should try dinner at Asia De Cuba! The Butterfish is to die for and you can wash it down with an ice cold Mojito! I'd eat it for breakfast if the Chef would cook it for me. Glad you had a great experience with our team and we will see you soon.

Been to Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel? Share your experiences!