“The hotel for the "wanna be's"” 4 of 5 stars

Exclusive Special Rate
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Brisbane, Australia
“The hotel for the "wanna be's"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This hotel room was an absolute surprise, it was gorgeous, truly beautiful. The pool area was lovely, but not one to swim in unless you had a hollywood body... the wanna be's all hang out here trying to out do each other. Was good for a laugh. The drinks and food around the pool were lovely. The restaurant was expensive but worth every cent, the food was amazing! For the price, this hotel is truly lovely. Short walk to many other places to eat too and right next door to the House of Blues.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Hello Pam...so now you know what Hollywood is all about! Glad you loved our ambiance and food. We will expect you back very soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

It was quite disappointing to stay at the Mondrian Los Angeles -- a supposedly higher end, design hotel. Rather, this place felt like a bad attempt at a designer budget hotel -- think Ace Hotels but worse. Checking in at 1am, the man at the front desk took about half an hour, saying the system was really slow and then telling me and my travel companion that the room we booked wasn't available. We had booked a "Deluxe Corner Suite" and were being told we'd have to be put in a "Studio Double" for the first night. Perhaps these rooms were similar but it certainly sounded like a down-grade. (Checking the website later, the Studio Double is advertised as 50 sq ft smaller and only has one wall of windows, not two -- so i would consider it a downgrade.) I asked if these rooms were the same quality and the man at the front desk totally dismissed my question and said, "yeah they're the same room...you're paying a low rate for any of the rooms here anyway." OK, yes, I had booked through a "sale site" online, but I was still paying over $250 per night per room, so please sir don't try to imply that I should be pleased just to take any room you offer. In the end, our room WAS available. We rush to get a drink at the bar before last call, and wow -- these are the worst drinks I've ever had. Getting to the bar, about eight servers/bartenders/employees completely ignore me and my two friends, which is rather indicative of the "too cool" attitude the employees have at this hotel. I had the worst gin and tonic of my life here ($19), and how do you mess up a g+t? Make it taste like a gin and flat-soda. It was so bad I even asked the bartender if this was my drink because it didn't taste like tonic water. His response: "Sometimes it tastes different coming out of the gun." Well, it tastes horrible, so perhaps you should rethink that tonic water gun. Another night both my friend and I had to return to the front desk because neither of our keys to the room worked. The front desk guy there asked if we'd put them near our cell-phones, because they are easily deactivated that way. We both stared at him blankly because we had been putting our keys in our purses (along with cell-phones, yes) and now this guy was advising we put our keys in our back pockets. The room itself (the suite, ahem) was a good size, bright and clean. Housekeeping only replaced our shampoo/conditioner/body wash once despite staying for four nights, which was a bit stingy for two women. And they never replenished the moisturizer. In the end, I would not stay here at this location again. It's trying to be luxury, but it's not quite there yet.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Laura,

Really hope to win you back. Think you will love what we have recently done with Skybar and our new Cabana's. Feel free to contact me and I'll ensure you are well looked after!!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed at the Mondrian for five nights on November 2012. My stay was close to perfection from check in to check out. The entire staff was extremely friendly and helpful (allowing me to check in before the official time). I stayed on the 8th floor in a large room facing Sunset. The room was amazing: the most comfortable bed, great amenities and a nice sitting area. Though I was told the windows in my room were recently replaced to block out the street noise, I have to admit that early morning you could still hear a bit the traffic and garbage trucks. I was not bothered by that but if you are a very light sleeper I would ask for a room facing the other way. I got a package that included breakfast. The breakfast is prepared by the restaurant situated on the ground floor and the food was unbelievable. One thing to mind is that the package in fact allows for $25 per person for a breakfast order and it is rather difficult to stay within this budget with the restaurant prices so if you wish to have a full breakfast you should be prepared to add between $10-$20 per person depending on what you order. To sum up, one of the best hotels, would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
If you think our breakfast is unbelieveable you should try dinner at Asia De Cuba! The Butterfish is to die for and you can wash it down with an ice cold Mojito! I'd eat it for breakfast if the Chef would cook it for me. Glad you had a great experience with our team and we will see you soon.
Leicester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We booked this hote pretty last minute and ws not dissapointed with ou choice. The bedroom had a great view of L A and A balcony to sit out on. The Pool was covererd when we were there as it got a little chilly at night when it is used as a very relaxed bar. We ate in the hotel several times and for breakfast and the food was good. As with all hotels, you only get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Get one with a balcony to enjoy the view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Glad you had a great time! On your
next stay check out our new Cabanas and coffe bar which is slated to open mid December. You know we won't dissappoint!
Aliso Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

If you are seeking comfort & peace in the middle of the big city West Hollywood? Look no more, The Mondrian shores up a great place to call home when you visit West Hollywood. Clean, quiet and very comfortable, the staff is ready to please you from start to finish. You can easily find everything you need to rest in peace after a long night on the town. The rooms they offer comes in variety of layouts that fits everyone's particulars for which I have many. Room service is fantastic, the food was hot and tasty delivered in 15 minutes controlling my stomach growls. The front desk was amazing with our check in and very friendly, The room we stayed in was on the top 12th floor facing the skybar and pool never once did we hear any load noises coming from the crowd due to the double door and window installation to ward off noise. simply put, The Mondrian and staff thought of everything in advance to make our stay the best possible. Thank you everyone at The Mondrian!

Room Tip: I like the balcony rooms. It gives you a chance to see everything below.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Hello Troy...So happy you had a great stay with us recently. We like to classify ourselves as an "urban resort" and it seems that we fit the bill in this case! I do hope you had a chance to visit Skybar and try some of our signature drinks as well dine at our classic restaurant, Asia De Cuba. It should be known that Asia De Cuba does our Room Service for the hotel as well....as you stated it is "fantastic". Hope to see you soon Troy..thanks, again.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I just wanted to correct the review from Antni Finney with whom I travelled on to this hotel with. The bottles of water "kindly" offered to us at check-in, which we thought was a nice touch after a 10hr flight, were in fact, charged to our minibar bill at $7 a piece. No mention was made of this when we arrived, we were merely asked if we'd like a bottle of water after our long trip, which we felt was a great welcome to the hotel.

Had we rejected them if they'd told us we'd be charged for them...? No, we wouldn't but it would have been nice for them to be open/up front at the start, especially when you're tired from travelling.

I took a bottle out of the minibar during the stay so was shocked at check out when I was charged $14 for what I believed was one bottle of water. When I queried the minibar bill at the end of the stay, the lady who checked us out just smirked when I commented that that was quite steep for a bottle of water.

Everything else about the stay was great but a nice touch ended up leaving a bad taste in the mouth - time for a $2 bottle of water from the store down the road......!!

Room cleaning could have been a little better. The previous occupant of the room kindly left us a pair of socks in the wardrobe which the cleaning team had overlooked....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am very sorry your are under the impression that we charge for water at check-in. Just to let you know we have never charged for this amenity. It is complimentary. The charge your are referring to was for water taken from your minibar. No worries though, I went ahead and adjusted the charge. It seems that, besides this issue, you had a nice visit. Peter, we truly appreciate your patronage and hope to have you back with us again very soon! Thank you so much.
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The Good: location, vibe, luxury features - the TV mirror is sick. Friendly service. Nice pool deck (though the pool itself is the size of a glorified hot tub). Day bed more comfortable than bed. Great views of downtown LA. Nice bathroom amenities.

The Bad: was promised a king suite but bed was a queen. Queen bed was not comfortable - mattress felt cheap.

The Mark: makes it mostly. Great stylish spot though the Roosevelt and W are still the kings of Hollywood, for now

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I am very pleased you had a nice stay with us recently. I do sincerely apologize about the bed size and mattress. Not what we would want you to experience. I do hope this does not keep you from returning. Thank you.

Been to Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel? Share your experiences!