“Mondrian much better then it used to be” 4 of 5 stars

Exclusive Special Rate
Ranked #7 of 17 hotels in West Hollywood
GreenLeadersBronze level
Brussels
“Mondrian much better then it used to be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had written a review here on the Mondrian, after a 4 weeks stay at this hotel in 2006. My review was mostly negative, as I was ver disappointed of the rooms, and the lack of service. Design and goodlooks were more important then other aspects such as service and quality of rooms.
However, following major works in the hotel in the recent years, I wanted to give the Mondrian another chance, especially as my other favorite hotels were not available
I have stayed now 2 weeks at the Mondrian in october, and booked a 1-bed room suite. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by the improvements. The rooms have all been remodeled and are much more comfortable and practical then the previous Philip Starck design version. Also, the service seem to be improved considerably. Check however several times the booking rates on their website, as these might change after hour booking, and you might find better rates for the same type of room after you have booked it. In this case, it I advice to cancel your booking, and rebook the same room at the lower rate ( in my case, I got free parking and breakfast, as well as a lower rate then the initial booking). Overall. I can now recommend this hotel for singles and
or young couples. It is definitely not a hotel for families for kids
If offered the choice between the Studio and the one-bedroom suite , go for the later option, although both are sold for the same rate, as it is slightly bigger and more practically laid-out..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
I am so happy you gave us another shot after all of these years! Seems you were not disappointed....thank you for your nice comments. I will definitely pass them on to our team. Hope to have you back with us again very soon. Don't wait 7 years next time! Take care.

922 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed for two nights in a corner view suite/room (or whatever they are called). Irrespective of the exact name, the room was fantastic.

Pros:
- Room very, very spacious (query: Who needs a wetbar in a hotel? Maybe there could a better use for that space?) with nice rain shower.
- Great views over LA.
- Great location for West Hollywood.
- Very nice pool area with great service. Nice to hang out in the afternoon and to meet friends in the evening.
- Very popular with a young and attractive party crowd.
- Very friendly service.

Cons:
- Only one thing - all corridors have a very strange and stale smell. Please a) ventilate the corridors and b) place room perfumes. That's not so difficult (other hotels can do it, too) and would really enhance the experience. The smell was really bad and on all corridors. Otherwise I wouldn't be writing it.

Overall: Still a great hotel where I would stay again, if the rate is acceptable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Hello Lars....thank you for taking the time to relate your recent experience! I am extremely pleased you had a great visit with us recently. I will take note of your comments regarding the corridors. Sorry for this. Take care, Lars and hope to have you back with us again very soon.

Rich
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This place was great! From the moment we arrived, we received wonderful service. Everyone was very friendly, not snooty at all. Our room was not ready when we arrived (about 30 min before check-in time). They upgraded us to a larger room at no additional charge for the inconvenience, even though we were early. The room was very nice. Everything was in great condition. The shower was great...lots of water pressure and two heads. The toiletries were high quality. The bed was super comfy. Floor to ceiling windows allowed for beautiful views of the hills and the city.
Skybar, the hotel's on-site bar was great. Basically the whole pool area is turned into an outdoor bar/lounge at night. There are cushioned seating areas around the pool, as well as seating near the bar. They have specialty drinks (delicious!), as well as your basic bar offerings. The drinks are a little pricey, but we found that to be the case in all of the higher-end bars in LA. The bartenders and wait staff were all very friendly. As a hotel guest, you get to walk right in and don't pay a cover. It's a great place to get that last drink before calling it a night.
The hotel is on the Sunset Strip and is convenient to lots of bars/restraunts/shops/tourist sites. Many are reachable by foot. Other areas like the Walk of Fame, Robertson Blvd, and the beaches are a short drive or cab ride away. To us this was the ideal location. It was a safe, fun area that was convenient to everything that we wanted to see and do.
Only downside we could find was the parking fee. The hotel parking is valet only and is $33/day. However, the valet service was on point. Our car was there within a few minutes of our request.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer a better view. The corner suites are very roomy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for your very kind remarks regarding your recent stay with us. I am extremely pleased that you had a great visit! I will pass on your comments to our team. Please know that we truly appreciate your patronage and hope to have you back with us again very soon. Thank you.
East Lothian, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Spent a weekend at at the Mondrian on the way home to Scotalnd after 6 nights in Palm Springs. Hotel was fabulous with great room and staff. Very LA cool with lots of beautiful people and enjoyed soaking up the sun at the sky bar pool. We had a fantastic "taster menu" at Asia de Cuba with wonderful view over the LA sky line. However, our evening was not perfect as we had to endure the antics of an Asian family (Mum, Dad & two teenage daughters) who spent the whole evening, whilst seated at the best table in the restaurant, either on their mobile phones or sufing the net on their mobile phones.... GET A LIFE... these people should be asked to leave or better still... kicked out ! Would definately stay again despite this.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Rich O, Hotel Manger at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Tnaks for your review. I am extremely pleased you guys enjoyed yourselves recently. Very nice to see. I do apologize for the experience with your neighboring patrons at ADC...most definitely there are more appropriate venues for this type of behavior. Hope it won't keep you from returning....take care and see you soon!
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Let's be honest, while the hotel is relatively good you would choose Mondrian because you wanna hang out at skybar (pool or bar) and eventually go to nearby hollywood clubs. The hotel is really noisy due to skybar and you would have plenty of party ppl at 2 am in your lobby! But well I was there for this very reason so I was happy with that! Rooms are actually nice (had a large corner room) with stylish yet warm furnitures. Bathroom was really minimalist (I'm being nice here). One shower, one small sink and the toilet in the between, that's pretty much it. No marble. Oh and they put a tent over over skybar in winter so it doesnt get too cold.

Overall a fun place for a party weekend!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
I am glad that it seems you had a good stay/good time with us recently. Weekends do tend to be busier in regard to the party scene..weekdays are a bit more relaxed. Glad you enjoyed yourself and hope to have you back again very soon!
Chepstow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

We had a great stay, excellent location on the sunset strip, room spacious and spotless, great toiletries and robes in the rooms. Comfy, huge bed, great view. Breakfast delicious and all staff very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Cocktails a bit on the expensive but worth it :)

• Stayed September 2012
Rich O, Hotel Manger at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Great to see that you had a nice visit with us recently. Thank you for your positive remarks. I am happy we were able to provide you with a memorable experience. Hope to have you back with us again very soon!
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights this week and I can safely say that I have never received such brilliant customer service levels from staff here at the Mondrian. From the Reception staff to the Room Service guys, they are all so efficient and polite and appear to take so much pride in what they do. A special mention has to go to Shelby in sales who bent over backwards to go that extra mile to ensure that all my requests were met.........and then some. It's a pity that other hotels don't employ such professional and dedicated staff these days.

The hotel itself is very chic however, surprisingly unpretentious. The rooms are brilliant and were cleaned immaculately every day. They are not huge but more than adequate for one or two occupants. Again, the attention to detail in the design, finish and guest comfort items is brilliant.

I don't want to wittier on about irrelevant things about the hotel so I will conclude by making a very bold statement that the Mondrian really has to be classed as THE best (experience) hotel I have ever had the pleasure of staying in and the staff are outstanding!!

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor on the pool side has to be the best for views. Noise is NOT an issue as the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rich O, Hotel Manager at Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful comments! I am so pleased you had a great visit with us recently. I will definitely pass your comments on to Shelby and our team. Again, thank you so very much and we look forward to having you back with us agin very soon.

Rich

Been to Mondrian Los Angeles Hotel? Share your experiences!