“Petit Ermitage's website is misleading: heres the good & the not so good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Petit Ermitage

You added Petit Ermitage to your Saves list
Petit Ermitage
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8822 Cynthia St, West Hollywood, CA 90069 (West Hollywood)   |
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in West Hollywood
Laguna Niguel, California
“Petit Ermitage's website is misleading: heres the good & the not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

Whoever designed the website for the Petit Ermitage should be paid top $. It makes it truly look like a 4 or even 5 * when thats far from the truth.

The Not-So-Good: it's a small hotel with only 4 floors/thin walls & you can hear your neighbors & the street noise easily. Rooms that look like converted apartments which I am pretty sure they are. Cheap looking decor with a color palette that leaves allot to be desired. A tiny garage & frontage that makes you wait on the street while the valet scrample trying to park & get cars & cars wize by you on a narrow street that is hard to find. We arrived as a late night rooftop party was clearing out. We drove up to the line of cars & were waived down the street by the overwhlemed valets. We drove back & sat in the car watching cars being brought around for waiting guests who left one by one while we sat there waiting & feeling less welcomed as a guest every minute. Finally, while my husband continued sitting in the car waiting, I walked to the front desk & complained that weve been sitting outside for 10 mins waiting to get someone to take our car & bring our luggage. What I got was an apology but nothing else. I asked for a room with 2 beds versus the queen were about to get & were told they could accomodate us the next day, to lightly unpack & that a note would be left to arrange it. I called the next morning & was told they were fully booked & there was no way to move us. We got to our petite room which was indeed petit, but had room for a kitchenette with a small stove & small bathroom. We called for our car the next morning, were told it would be waiting & it wasn't. They took our valet ticket & got it then. So, the next day we didn't bother asking to have it brought around. If your the hotel manager reading this, a $30.00 credit for at least one nights parking would have worked wonders after having this negative first impression of your parking/valet experience. Once guests get a bad 1st impression they normally say nothing while at the hotel, unless asked & instead never return.

The Good: room service was not too bad & the prices reasonable, but it was brought by the overworked security person who was doubling as a valet for someone who wasn't there. We went to breakfast on the rooftop & it was very pretty (without seeing it I would have thought this place far less what we paid) & again, the food was pretty good, although after asking if I should serve myself the fruit I saw, I was told it was for other guests & not much else. Service was so so with wait staff that seemed out of sorts, confused by the cash register & in need of a manager. This place is popular with locals hosting parties, so keep it in mind when you book. The highest marks I leave a for the person who checks the minibar. We were leaving the hotel, said hello to a man in the hall saying "I'm here to check the minibar" to a doorway & then walked down to the front desk. Before we even got the bill printed they received a call from the same employee saying I had left something in our room. They asked him to bring it down & he appeared with it about 3 minutes later with it. Thats great service & deserves a mention!

So, there you go. Just so you know my husband & I stay mostly at 5 star properties & this was not 4 star worthy in my opinion. I'm not sure who is handing out those stars but this place is not equipped for fast check-in, needs bigger bathrooms (like real hotels versus converted apartment buildings), a better color scheme, lots of ceiling paint & lots of plaster issues fixed that I noticed everywhere. If your picky, this place is not for you. If you need a room with a very small stove, tiny sleeping area & you are a heavy sleeper it is. It has some charms, but not enough for us I'm afraid. We also stayed at The Standard. So look for my review there if your interested.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
vancouver bc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2010

We stayed at this hotel in May for a girls trip. We used priceline and got a great deal of $119 per night. On priceline this hotel is rated a 4* so we bid on 4* hotels and we ended up winning the Petit Ermitage. We were trying for the new W hollywood hotel but no luck :( The petit ermitage hotel should not be rated a 4* ! The rooms are very old, outdated, dark, with tacky furnishings, very dingy and have an awful musky smell that made a few of the girls sneeze like crazy. The washroom was the most decent part of the whole hotel room. The bed was comfortable as was the pullout sofa. There was something smeared on the walls. There is no full length mirror and barely any light in the room so very hard to get ready for the night out. We got a room on the bottom floor and had a patio which was completely blocked by a fence and we couldn't see out. No view whatsoever ! If you do stay here I would advise to not stay on the first floor or you will be staring at a fence the whole time. We were not impressed with this hotel even with the deal we got. The location is central but it is in a residential area. This hotel is definetely for an older crowd not for young people. We went up on the rooftop one night and there was nobody there. I didn't find the staff to be very friendly. They mostly just stared at us and barely acknowledged us. We called the front desk for some cups one night and we had a staff member show up in a tuxedo with the cups on a tray. They were disgusting ... dirty and all scratched up like they had gone through the dishwasher too many times. We decided to drink out of our styrofoam cups rather than drink out of those plastic cups that the hotel provided. We would not stay or recommend this hotel to anyone. They need to do some serious renovations !

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

This is a lovely hotel! The staff were welcoming and the service was quick and friendly. I especially loved the Liaison de Happiness' welcome when we arrived at our room! We had a junior suite which was beautifully decorated and very comfortable. I have never slept in a more comfortable hotel bed, and the shower was divine! The art is amazing and is all over the hotel. There's something wonderful to see at every turn. We ate breakfast outdoors on the roof in the beautiful garden. The food was fantastic (I especially recommend the lemon ricotta pancakes!) and the environment serene. It was difficult to remember that we were in the heart of the city! We will make it a point to stay at this hotel again. Wonderful!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

We stayed here for 2 days after arriving from Europe. Very nice, cool and relaxed hotel. It all starts with a very friendly reception desk staff. Then the rooms are spacious and well decorated. The rooftop pool area is nicely set and gives you a warm lounge and laid back kind of feeling. The time we where there the right mix of music, sunshine and drinks gave the whole pool area a warm and exotic atmosphere.Next to the pool is the breakfast and restaurant area. They serve a really great and tasteful breakfast ! West Hollywood itself is already a nice part of LA and this hotel adjusts to this cool, trendy and laid back feeling. I would highly recommend this hotel due to overall satisfaction.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
chicago, illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

Nice place, nice people. Went to LA w/ a sister and my 75-yr-old mother. Had a lot of fun at this very unique hotel and the staff was quite lovely. The bedroom of the suite was very comfortable, altho' the pull-out couch left a lot to be desired. The suite was not quite what I expected (I expected something more along the lines of what is pictured on the website), but was nice just the same. Everyone was very helpful and very nice and quite adept at their job. The Sunday night movie was a blast, and the general manager and the 'liason to happiness' were at their best that eve. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

Our stay at this quaint hotel in West Hollywood was nothing short of delightful. The rooms are very comfortable and the rooftop patio with pool is a wonderful spot to unwind after a busy day. However it was the staff that made our stay the memorable one that it was. Everyone was friendly, helpful and they all went to great lengths to make us feel welcomed and valued. I would highly recommend this little slice of heaven and will make it our choice of hotel next time we go to LA.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

I just returned from a girls' weekend here with my mom and grandma, and we had a fabulous time! The location was perfect...very centrally located to the Sunset Strip and Santa Monica Blvd. so you are within easy access to Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and lots of other fun areas. I'd read many other reviews before I booked the trip so I was aware of a few things, like the fact that the hotel is in a residential neighborhood and is easy to drive right past (although this was kind of a plus for me as I thought it added to the sort of 'hidden gem' aspect of the place). I was also aware of the reviews which stated that the rooms were dark and tired and that the staff was snooty. As for the rooms, while our junior suite was a tad dark (we opened up the curtains and sliding glass door and all was well), I in no way felt it was tired...in fact, all three of us thought the room was comfortable and utterly charming. The decor has a sort of bohemian quirkiness to it, which I happen to ADORE, but if you like more modern design or are used to big fancy luxury hotels you may be slightly disappointed.

As for the staff...this was probably the biggest worry for me after reading reviews, but I'm happy to say that in our experience it couldn't have been further from the truth. From check-in to any requests we had, to eating/drinking up on the rooftop, we found everyone to be pleasant, charming, delightful and attentive. My mom had brought some DVDs and wanted to know if they had DVD players, and one was immediately brought to our room and set up for us while we were out and about. The private, guests-only rooftop terrace and lounge area (which we loved so much we visited at least once each day for either a meal or round of drinks, all of which were absolutely lovely, even if a tad pricey) was a highlight of our trip, and the waitstaff/bartenders there were so friendly and nice. One tip: if you're in a hurry, order your food/drinks and ask for the bill right away, as we had to come up to the bar to get our bill a few times, but I didn't find that to be a problem at all, just part of the relaxed bohemian vibe of the place.

All in all, I would absolutely recommend the place and would love to come back. Just keep a few things in mind: it's a quirky, unique place....so if that's not really your personality, it may not be for you. Also, there are a few "hidden fees"...the valet parking at $30 a day plus tips (would have much preferred to self-park but c'est la vie), and also there is no coffee maker in the rooms so you'll either have to order room service/go up to the rooftop restaurant (so lovely in the morning though!), or take a short walk around the corner to a coffee shop if you require caffeine. These things can add up depending on the length of your stay. These small inconveniences did little to deter from our wonderful stay, though. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!