“Old World charm with modern amenities” 5 of 5 stars

Petit Ermitage
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   8822 Cynthia St, West Hollywood, CA 90069   |
Ranked #7 of 17 hotels in West Hollywood
Los Angeles, California
“Old World charm with modern amenities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

We loved the ambience created by the "old world" decor, with leather as one of the elements, Erte (my favorite) as one of the artists represented, and the spaciousness of our executive suite at a fraction of the price of some of the surrounding hotels. Because my beloved husband snores, I have learned that having a larger room helps, if I'm to get any sleep! However, I didn't even need to use the pull out sofa bed, because the king size bed was so large and so comfortable, that I slept like a baby. I honestly don't know if he snored last night or not : ) We also had before dinner drinks and appetizers at the rooftop garden, and then breakfast there in the morning. The service was excellent as was the food. Our little romantic Christmas getaway couldn't be better! Kudos to the creator of this slice of paradise!

Room Tip: We had room #220 ; ), an executive suite. we didn't try the spa.

525 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Not sure when this former apartment building became a hotel, or when the over-priced restuarant became private and exclusive to guests or members only, but I do know when I lost all respect for this place: Christmas Eve.

Quick backstory: I live in West Hollywood, and have for the last decade. I've been to parties at this hotel, and have, myself, hosted a birthday weekend there as sort of a stay-cation. I found them to be snooty when I was a paying guest back in 2010, and had avoided it for some time.

This year, being trapped in LA for the holidays due to work, I wanted to do something different. I thought I'd give this place another try so I made a hotel and restaurant reservations in early December. I thought a nice dinner along with a swim and a fireplace mini-suite would be a cool way to do Christmas eve in town with my honey. The weekend before Christmas, we decided to focus on a getaway for New Year's Eve, so I cancelled (with more than 48 hours notice) our Christmas Eve hotel reservation. So, Christmas Eve rolls around and I realize we don't have dinner plans, so we call and check to see if our dinner reservations are still good. I figured not, because I am aware of their restuarant being private and for guests only. Well, maybe because it was the eve of a holiday and they weren't busy, we were told our dinner reservations are still active. Perfect.

We do dinner on the roof, which was ok at-best. Total dinner bill for 2 comes to $186.00. We pay and make our way back downstairs. The maitre' d fails to wish us goodnight, which i thought was odd, and we proceed to the front step to collect our car from the valet. It's at this point the maitre' d makes his way outside to stop us and ask us if we were members or guests. I explain the canceled hotel reservation but reconfirmed dinner reservations with the the phone call earlier in the day. He then "politely" reminds us that it's a private restaurant for guests or memebers only, it was his "fault for not checking my phone number in his system," and that we should make note we should not have been allowed upstairs for "future reference." I catch a glimpse of the hipster nitwit twins behind the front desk who are tittering as if this the first time this has ever happend. I mean, I can imagine the *horror* of non-member/non-guests dropping two bills on dinner for two must and how that have come as a true shock to them.

After the exchange on the front stoop, I go back inside to pay the valet fee (a totally reasonable $15). After watching the front desk ditzes avoid eye contact while I pay for parking, I decide to give the maitre' d a piece of mind. He's baffled about how I could have taken being reminded that I'm not allowed to eat at his restaurant as embarassing affront to customer relations, but I try to explain it to him anyway. He concedes it was his mistake because he didn't properly examine my credentials before granting access to his little roof-top valhalla. Maybe he was trying to save face in front of the pixie cut manager on duty. Maybe it was his first day on the job, and a screw up as catastrophic as this simply must be addressed on the spot.

Regardless of why, it is R I D I C U L O U S to follow a paying customer outside to tell them that "technically, you shouldn't have been allowed to enjoy that meal on Christmas Eve. Just wanted to let you know."

Did he think I purposely booked the hotel and then cancel the reservation just so I could eat at the restuarant? Was he affraid I was going to try to do it again? I'm really at a loss as to why this needed to be addressed in the manner in which it was.

To top it off, the MOD pixie cut chick inserts herself to remind me that the fact I just dropped $200 doesn't matter. "It's not about the money," she says, which yeah, for her, making that big front desk money, I'm sure.. and after thinking about it for a day, I think she's right, it wasn't about the money. It was about being embarassed in front of my boyfriend on christmas eve.

Uncessary snobbery, ugly carpets and if I remember the room decor from my stay in 2010 correctly, they really need to update asap.

Room Tip: The best room is at a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Nico H, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Alex H.,
First and foremost I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write the above review. Furthermore I would like to express, how mortified I was reading your review and how you have all reason to be frustrated and upset with the way you have (or in this case have not) been made feel welcome at the Petit Ermitage.
Please accept my sincere apologies for what you have been through with us. I understand that our Liaison To Happiness/Concierge has already reached out to you in person. Hopefully you will give us another chance in the future, so that we can redeem ourselves for what was an extreme and isolated incident. Please rest assured that I have dealt with the situation accordingly.
Thank you very much again for your constructive feedback and a Happy New Year.
Nico H.
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Reserved a one bedroom Master Suite months ago. Called me two days before arriving to tell me that there is "an issue" with the suite and we could not stay there. We scrambled and found a room at the London around the corner. PA did not tell us what the issue might have been about the room we reserved, but I can't imagine why whatever it was could not have been addressed within the two days before we arrived.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Nico H, General Manager at Petit Ermitage, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear Simonandfamily, thank you very much for taking the time to submit a Tripadvisor review. This information is very helpful. First and foremost I would like to apologize sincerely for the way we have mishandled your reservation request and that you were left with no other option, but to stay at another Hotel. I have researched the issue and there is simply no excuse for this to have happened in the first place. I am hoping that you will give us another chance in the near future and afford us the opportunity to redeem ourselves. Sincerely, Nico H, General Manager.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have stayed in some of the top hotels in LA, but this one really was special. I had a one bedroom suite which was perfect for what we needed. Decor in rooms and around the hotel is original and cosy and there is the devine smell in the corridors! The food was a highlight, mainly organic and just delicious.
Lastly the staff were really great in particular, the day managers, who were just fantastic as was the main General Manager. LA can be pretentious as can alot of the hotel staff, and this hotel is the opposite of all that, which sets them out from the rest. I felt extremely comfortable the whole time I was there.
The only complaint would be the cost of valet parking and the 16% service charge on everything, which is higher than most hotels. However overall this would always be my preferred choice whilst staying in LA from now on.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Really liked this small joint, great bar/restaurant and the food, especially the continental buffet was amazing! Very nice French decor. Enjoyed the short walk to Santa Monica blvd. Will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a nice little hotel, and suited my needs on a week-long business trip.

I had a "demi suite", which means a small round table, a cooker and a sink on a little elevated area with an ornate balustrade separating it from the bed area. Everything is ornate in this place: a paint-effect freak has been let loose, and no surface has been allowed to exist in its natural state -other than the TV, which was mercifully free of marbling, contrasts or distressed patinas.

The air con is very noisy. So were the people in the room above me- I don't usually notice these things, but their footsteps were quite loud and strange- couldn't tell if it was children running round the bed, or a dog. Or possibly children riding a dog around the bed.

I liked two things about this hotel: firstly, the artwork has been chosen by a genuine human, and is beguilingly weird and eclectic: an Erte print by the lift, a red daub of someone (something?) dangling from a tree in the corridor, and a gilt-framed oil of a winter tree in my room. I like it.

The second good thing is the coffee maker, which processes (free) pods of filter coffee through various hatches, elements and LEDs to make great coffee in a few seconds.

Two things I didn't like: firstly, $36 for guest parking each day is too much. Henry in the lot round the corner charges $16. Secondly, they burn joss-sticks throughout the public areas, which creates a sickly stink.

It's not corporate, the staff are friendly, and there are great views from the roof.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

You have to like the unusual....then you're absolutely going to adore this place!!! If you are a Hilton kinda big box type, this hotel is not for you. If you like to have all your sense wowed, with distinguished smells, rich colors and textures, and honest, good service: this will be your new favorite place to stay while in LA. Tucked away in a residential area yet centrally located, you can sip your morning coffee on the out of this world roof top and be miles away from ordinary... Beds are hard and comfy, showers are big with excellent water pressure. While this place is old (in a good way), whimsical and bohemian, it is clean clean clean!!! I recommend the Petit Ermitage with neither hesitation nor reservation.

• Stayed November 2013

Been to Petit Ermitage? Share your experiences!